Base Layout, Pine Gap

JellyfishGreen

Got the new prints from Vet. They are now in the document under the links marked 'Final'.

Notably the Armoury feeds directly into Hangar 1, which is assigned to the Skyranger; soldiers can proceed directly from lift through Armoury for equipment to Hangar 1.

The Hurricane interceptors are in Hangars 2 and 3 which are next to the Craft Weapons Storage. Maintenance lockers and refuelling equipment are not shown, but the Storage area is behind blast doors and contains a few desks for maintenance paperwork. The heavy lines around the hangars are the reinforced concrete set with blast doors - if the place gets lightly nuked, the planes are lost.

For ease of use, North is Top of the page.

I'd still swap the Medlab to Level 2, myself, and stick the Range and Briefing Room in its place.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again I curse the day I sent an email without checking it first! These are the wrong damn plans!!!! I have some upgraded ones since I made these first copies straight from your own JFish. They'r in your mail now, replace the finals with the new finals! :D Last one promise!

Ladies and gentlemen, please stay in your seats and keep your arms inside the base until the moving rooms have come to a complete stop.

"Final" prints now updated & linked to document.

Please ignore the fact that the launch tubes exit directly from the hangar into the side of two-story buildings on the surface. :D Or tease Vet mercilessly.

Kinda stupid idea, IMO. It's easier to detect something straight down, even behind a "concealed entrance", than it is to detect something covered by a few thousand tonnes of rock. 'Sides, it'd be kind of obvious where the entrance was if it's the only level surface on a mountain. I think a "side door" would be harder to detect.

[it's a moot point, I guess. Found the Swiss DoD site, https://www.vbs.admin.ch/internet/e/armee/index.htm ]

Hah! I beat you all to this one! :D

First you can go and read all of the coverage of interceptor takeoff in the fic. Then you can check the scale technical drawing of the hangars that I drew in a History lecture! ;)

The VTOL kicks in inside the hangar but now that the Lightnings have been replaced with Hurricanes, the VTOLaunch tubes no longer accomodate their wingspan. Therefore they have to drop back into the hangar slightly before they take off at some obscene angle directly out of the launch tube. The runway isn't used at all as the angled launch tube doesn't exit the surface until the very end of the runway. It clears the building by over one and a half stories and the runway is only used for landing. (Unless they land vertically in which case they descent the VTOLaunch... Backwards... It's hard but interesting to watch! It's already been mentioned in the fic)

• 7 months later...

Yeah, yeah, old topic, but as I was exploring the odd tourist attraction in Essex in the UK I found a brochure for this secret underground government bunker, now open as a tourist attraction:

https://www.japar.demon.co.uk/

Wow. The cross-section view of this looks a lot like a little drawing I did. Note even the long entrance corridor for easier defence (prox grenades, anyone?). I'll have to detour and visit this next time I'm in the area.

JFG

I've been to a couple of these places on holidays. They're really cool to look at. They have the underground generators and radio rooms all reconstructed as they would have been in a real emergency situation.

EDIT: This place is actually one of the ones I've been to! I'd recognise that place anywhere :) Didn't know that it could be hired out though... That's incredibly cool...

• 2 weeks later...