Base Layout, Pine Gap

JellyfishGreen

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick Googling later: Alice Springs is only about 30,000 people, many of who work at Pine Gap. It's famous because it's "near" Uluru/Ayers Rock (450km) and because there's no towns of larger size within 1000km. Talk about the middle of nowhere - this would be it.

It has an airport because sometimes it's just too far to drive.

Any natives, feel free to correct me. :)

Right give me time but I'm taking JFish Green's work a little further but only on paper for now... I started doodling in a really boring History lecture a week or so ago and I was trying to figure out how the hangar's in Pine Gap lifted aircraft to the surface of the base but still allowed them to fly straight out of the hangar...

A few lessons later and I now have the hyrdaulics sorted and both exit tubes to the hangar, as well as the maintenance rooms, fuel tank and supply line and the Tactical Command part of the Hangar complex.

Finding this quite interesting I'm now using the plans made by JFG to see if I can make the rest of the base as an actual architectural plan... It's working fine so far! But I'm afraid it's quite a long way away from gameplay now!

:D As I may have said, I actually have this as a 2D & 3D file. It was created in AutoCAD LT (2D first, then I put all the floorplans together and gave them some depth assignments) so I can supply a DXF file to any 3D rendering program. (It was a slow week at work.)

Looking forward to Vet's added detail.

If we build it, will they come? :alien2:

<one perusal later>

In L33tspeak: K33wl... :D

Please, get these up on hosted links if you can.

I'd still put the indoor range next to (behind?) the armoury. As long as the canteen, maybe. Thus keeping most weapons on the hangar level.

Also, I think your launch tubes are pointed north at the surface buildings that disguise the lifts. Is that true?

Is "Tactical Command" the ready room?

Anyone know what happens in a rec room that doesn't happen in a canteen or gym? Pool table?

But having medlab on the hangar level is useful.

In general: I like it!

There may be a little alcohol I guess... Thanks JFish I'll have a poke around later and see about the range I'm not sure what I could swap it with though... I may just provide a secure lift for weapon transfer... Or a mini armoury behind the range with one of each weapon and special range ammo...

I'll definitely make it bigger though. And the Tactical Command rooms are located at the top of each hangar's back wall inside the wall... They are accessed via the hangars themselves and have two floors. The bottom floor provides monitoring and control of craft in the hangar. The top floor provides a view into the vertical launching platform and controls radio communication with aircraft outsde of the base.

OK then, I'd say you still want a ready room near the hangars, to assemble the pilots in their flight gear and tell them what mission they're flying today. Also good for soldiers before the mission, to decide what weapon mix they'll need before they actually hit the armoury.

The range could just extend back of the armoury, carve another room into the rock.

Hmm... That it could... That it could...

Ok, ready room needs creating somewhere then... JFish, what messenger service do you have? Anything or not? If you don't you should get one. It'd be good to be able to chat and transfer files...

Edit... Done JFish. I couldn't move the range because I put the ready room behind the armoury. I thought it would make sense if they went in there for final preperation and grabbed their weapons on the way to the hangar. The way I have the base set out now means that they have to go briefing room - lift - armoury/toilet - ready room - armoury - hangar. And they're off. (The toilet is attached to the corridor and the ready room but soldiers aren't expected to use it as access!)

It'll make the base defence battle interesting. Ever seen a toilet hit by four different types of advanced weaponry?

But no; consider that toilet two single WC's back to back with a divider wall.

I don't have a PM service, so it's hard to get hold of me in realtime. Yahoo messenger might work.

I still think the armoury and range would do better on the same level - keeps armed men from bumping into the scientists. Any more corridors to extend or rearrange?

Well your design kept the corridors central on each floor and I didn't want really to rearrange it massively... The hangar floor is already extremely crowded due to the fact there are three hangars there! Not to mention workshops, ammo stores and all sorts. The barracks have been expanded massively to accomodate all base personnel as well...

I really don't see how I can put them together... I'll take another look though.

JFish, a question. Radar dish or radar dome? That's it but the surface model is narly complete and the radar is a bit unfinished shall we say...

• 3 months later...