XCGS Training Roleplay

Loonie

There were two things that regularly gave Alexei a headache - psionic activity, and hyperspace travel. The former caused a pulsating, pounding headache, much like someone rhythmically striking the skull with a hammer. The latter was a continuous pain, like that associated with the drilling of teeth before nanobot usage for dentistry became commonplace.

Having spent about an hour in the VR sim sneaking around and calling down virtual artillery and orbital strikes on tough-level AI aliens, he had acquired the former kind of headache. Now that the fleet had jumped into hyperspace, he also acquired the latter. Hyperspace travel from the Frontier to Earth isn't exactly a one-minute deal. It lasts for hours, which stretch into days and even weeks when distances such as those from the Frontier to Earth are involved. So, he sat in his bunk, gritting his teeth while staring at the floor, his hands gripping his head, contemplating his bleak and miserable near future.

"Hey Alexei, been drinking too much again?"

Alexei took a brief break from clutching his hand to extend a middle finger to the source of the noise.

"Jeez man, you look like you just got beat up by an ex-girlfriend..." the voice persisted.

Once again, Alexei's middle finger signaled his response, accompanied by a "Go away."

"All right man, you sure you don't want some painkillers or something?" the voice asked. By now, it became obvious that this was the other Alex.

"F-ck it. I'll be fine once we get the hell off this boat and into some real action..." Alexei replied.

Alex chuckled. "Like you got in that big VR sim?"

Alexei stopped clutching his head for a second to look up. "Look, f-ck you, f-ck the VR sim and f-ck that stupid squad leader. I'm no 'tactics expert' or whatever, but when you're in a firefight against a force about three times as big as yours, you don't 'stand your ground' or whatever, all right?" He shook his head and resumed clutching.

"Hey don't worry about it man, I got your back." Alex clapped him on the back.

Alexei looked up and smirked. "All the way man. We're gonna kick us some alien ass." He clasped Alex's right hand using it to pull himself up and, do a 'shoulder smash'. "Goddamn, my f-cking head." He grinned. "All right, man, I'm gonna hit the medbay, grab some stims, maybe pick up some hot chicks while I'm at it..." he grabbed his ID card and started heading out.

Alex looked at him with a raised eyebrow as he followed. "What chicks? The old battle-axe nurse? Or are you talking about the dude from the med supply room? Door swinging both ways, eh?" he elbowed Alexei in the ribs lightly.

"Yeah, real funny man, you want me to kick your virgin ass?" Alexei elbowed him back.

The two continued on in the direction of the medical bay, throwing insults and elbows back and forth...

<<Hopefully, nobody's getting too confused between the two Alexes. Alexei is Harris, while Alex is Stahley. If people want, I'll start using nicknames instead to make it clearer... actually, I might do it anyway, since I'm getting confused...

Note: The "shoulder smash" is when you do the 'W'-shaped handshake, sort of like arm-wrestling, and use the other guy's arm to pull yourself forward and whack your shoulder into his, really hard.>>

Alexander Stahley walked his friend into the medlab where the crabby nurse sat in front of a monitor clicking various applications. She saw Alexei walk in first and gave him a nasty look. "What??" She rasped.

"Headache. Give me some bloody stims" Alexei moaned, impatiently but not raising his voice much.

"What about that new medic in blue squad, McAllister? She's kinda cute..." Alexander continued talking to Alexei while the nurse went to get a bottle and came back to the moaning Alexei.

Alexei chuckled. "I dunno man, Earthers are a bunch of snobs..."

The nurse suddenly lifted up a nasty looking needle and jammed it into Alexei's knee causing the big man to let you a sharp yelp of surprise and pain.

"Sorry dear," the nurse smirked. "We're all out of pills."

"But there's a whole bloody bottle right-"!

"Do not distract the nurse while she is working" The woman snapped and went back to the medical supply room.

So that's where that German accent comes from... Alex thought.

Alexei winced and turned back to Alex. "What are you doing looking at her anyway, man? Don't you people have to take a vow of celibacy or something?"

"Erm, no. Those are just Catholic priests I think. And I'm not a priest nor am I catholic." Alex pointed out. "Besides, we're both unmarried, and I was just admiring the natural beauty of a young woman..."

"Yeah yeah, that's total bull and you know it." Alexei slugged him on the shoulder, smirking.

"Well anyway, I'm heading to the VR room to catch up on some of what I missed. You wanna come with?" Alexander asked.

"Dude, you want me to get brain cancer or something?"

"I just might..." Alex said, rubbing his chin slightly.

"What was that?"

"Oh, nothing, I'll catch you later man, hope you feel better."

• 8 months later...