Quick Status Update on my Employment

DragonHawk

Well, many of you know I put in an application to the Canadian Forces for permanent employment and was waiting on that. Now, for those unaware, the Forces requires two years of training that would likely prevent me from roleplaying, or doing any of the things I've come to enjoy over the past few years at university. It's been an honour roleplaying with you folks, both past and present.

I phoned down to the recruiting office today to get the status of my application. In true Clint Eastwood Style:

The bad - The evaluation board is not meeting again this spring. This means my application does not get evaluated before the September officer training session and I will not be attending.

The ugly - I got to get a real job. NOOOOO!!!! :)

The good - I get a life. :) I can get a job in industry, get my professional engineers certification, keep seeing family, play games, wargame, and most importantly, I stay in XCAS.

So, in effect, the application is bust until possibly towards November, netting another four months of breathing space for me. If I do get employment in private industry, I'll be working for one or two years so I can get my P.Eng. and doing some work with the Reserves. If I find I don't like Reserves, I don't have to go to Reg Forces later on, but if I do like it, I can always apply later (minus the signing bonus I would have gotten now :) ).

At any rate, I wanted to take this time to thank you guys for your support in this endeavour. So, yeah, thanks for everything. It looks like I'll be staying with you guys for just a little bit longer. :)

• 4 months later...
Last update - by some bizareness, I have actually found employment. I shall be returning to Ontario next week to start on the 29th, which is the week after. Shadow will be in control of the sim for the 27th and the following weekend as my internet status will be tricky... Anyway, official post in the scheduling thread to come.

• 4 months later...

THanks Dougy. :huh:

I'm at work now actually. Very early, 0700 here, but here I am. Work is going well. I'm in the wind engineering types of buisness, doing exhaust reentrainment stuff here in Guelph. Dirty stuff go up, dirty stuff come down.... does it come down on one's own buidling? That is the question... :P

Considering the fridge business went out of business due to competition from over-seas, I'd have to say 'yes'. :huh: Emissions regulations here in North America pretty much killed a lot of foaming companies still using the old liquid-blowing agent technology.

This job is much more mind-demanding... not to mention that if you piss off your clients, they may not come back later. It's like the service industry in a way, which is good and bad. It keeps you on your toes, but realistically the power is in the client's hands. It doesn't matter whether the project went sour because of their actions (which happens often) or ours - ultimately we pay the price. So we have to be like... nice and stuff. And build extra buffer time into the project so that we can take these little things into account. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Blah! All youse countries look alike to us redneck Americans. Good thing we gots our sawed off shotguns to fend off them Ninjas from the comfort of our sofas.

In regards to Derrick:

This job is much more mind-demanding... not to mention that if you piss off your clients, they may not come back later. It's like the service industry in a way, which is good and bad. It keeps you on your toes, but realistically the power is in the client's hands. It doesn't matter whether the project went sour because of their actions (which happens often) or ours - ultimately we pay the price. So we have to be like... nice and stuff. And build extra buffer time into the project so that we can take these little things into account.

Heh, this is the case in a lot of different jobs. Even my low class, minimum wage occupation right now. You piss off customers, they won't come back. So you gotta be nice... Even if they're like: "Hey, I didn't order this shit" even though I CLEARLY heard them say "Junior bacon cheeseburger". It's like being a servant to a mighty king. You need to wait on them hand and foot... Even if the king starts going senile or demanding of dirty favors...

But to the point, yeah. There's a degree of that everywhere. It might be more intense for you because you have individual clients that are much more important. In my case, if I bitch out a customer, the place only loses a few bucks... But regardless, any job can prepare you for such a thing.

well, i suppose you can take a look at it from the clients perspective, to a degree. of course, some clients are just plain stupid, but most are just like us. so really, how do you see service from other stores/places?

btw, "necro" meaning bringing back an old thread, not necro as in Necro the person.

as for those pesky sawed offs, you can't hit what you can't see! go ninjitsu!

well, i suppose you can take a look at it from the clients perspective, to a degree. of course, some clients are just plain stupid, but most are just like us. so really, how do you see service from other stores/places?

Well, I'm usually pretty open about tings like that. When I go places like McDonalds, I make an attempt to understand a menu and determine what I want before consulting the cashier. And I don't ask stupid things like "What is on a Bacon and Cheese potato?" Duh! Friggin' Bacon and Cheese! (I have quite an amount of moron customers that come by.)

as for those pesky sawed offs, you can't hit what you can't see! go ninjitsu!

That's why we use buckshot. You think we can be bothered with firearm lessons? Hell no! We invest in ammo that can blow apart entire walls at a time! Screw accuracy... Let's see a ninja use a potted plant for stealth while it's leaves are ripped to shreds by flechettes!

Are you kidding me, Ki-Tat? That silhouette in the picture looks exactly like Barney. All I need to do to fight that thing off is change the channel.

Ninjas cannot rule the Urban Jungles of America. They'd choke to death with all the smog excreted from our cities. No shadows or blades can fight off bad air.

Look here Weak Bob, you think Hong Kong, Tokyo, or any other Asian megacity is better than the urban cities of the States? Dreaming, buddy. They have more people driving, eating, and farting over there in one city than you have in three of your cities combined, hahaha.