UFOPaedia Sidebar and Featured Projects

Hobbes

I posted this suggestion today on the wiki's Talk Page and I'll repost here to get the attention of the other admins:

We had another request to add an entry to the Featured Projects sidebar (LWOTC) and since we now have a Featured Projects page I've been wondering if it wouldn't be better to remove all the current Featured Projects from the sidebar and put them in that page, for several reasons:

1. The wiki has always been focused on the games and not on fan projects.

2. There are wiki-relevant sidebar links that keep getting pushed downwards everytime a project is added, like languages or tools.

3. With the reboot of the franchise and OpenXCom, a lot of fan projects are in the works.

4. While we provide a space for their subwikis if they need, the wiki was never a hub for fan projects and to publicize/monetize them.

5. Those projects typically came and use our space but I can't remember any who contributed to the wiki's main pages about the original XCom games, other than placing links to their projects on the original game pages for publicity.

6. A couple projects have also left and set up their own wikis, without ever bothering to at least delete their content once they stopped updating it, since they decided they didn't want to be here anymore when they didn't get the publicity they wanted.

7. UFO2000 & UFO:AI have zero or limited development for years - they're dead or almost.

8. OpenXCom and OpenApoc already have links for their subwikis on the UFO and Apocalypse tables.

9. Having Long War and Long War 2 then leads to other large projects like Long War Reworked and Long War of the Chosen also wanting the same attention/publicity. All of those could have also links for them on the Enemy Unknown and XCOM2 tables.

10. And the Featured Projects page could be reworked so that they are properly grouped together according to their specific game that they originate from and it could also include a short description about their scope and objectives.

Ideas/Comments?

• 3 months later...