Strategy Reboots

NoXTheRoXStaR

Strategy games are a great way to pass the time and make you think about your next move. It could be real time, or turn based. What games do you feel should be rebooted?

I'll put my two cents in and say,

Jagged Alliance and Heroes of Might and Magic.

I'd also add Master of Orion to that list. All 3 of these games have been given a second and in some cases a third chance. Yet failed.

The X-Com/XCOM series did fair, but there is so many of our faves that go unmentioned.

So what say you? What Real Time or Turn Based Strategy games/series should be rebooted?

-NoX

Well, NoX, I don't know how wise it is to ask for it, but I probably wouldn't be able to pass up a real comeback of the Dune franchise.

There's just so much flavour (spice? wink.png) in that universe that it could stand to be brought back in style in an RTS with all of today's trimmings both in graphical and mechanical terms (AI, pathfinding, UI, non-linear branching, 3D terrain impact, and territorial control).

Realistically, of course, licensing is going to be the big problem standing in the way of making it happen; I doubt the IP holders will allow it.

While there's life there's hope I guess. smile.png

Hey that's a good franchise, have you ever read any of the novels? The 50's to the 90's IMO whether they were books or movies were some of the best Sci-fi.

I'm not sure who has the IP rights for the franchise. A quick Google search says Legendary Films did but unsure who owns the rights currently.

I would like to add that the games Incubation and the Nintendo series of Advanced Wars would be a fitting reboot.

Am I the only person at StrategyCore that enjoyed Incubation?

Don't be a stranger folks, engage in the conversation. I bet there are some of you out there that can add some input.

The games I tend to gravitate towards generally fall under the Tactical RPG category rather than strategy. However, many of my favourite TRPG series are held together with episodic or level based mission progression. That's what I love about the original X-Com games, as they are a TRPG wrapped up in a grand strategy overworld later.

I'd just name a few series like FF Tactics and Disgaea. Both for example let you build a large ensemble of peons to play with. But you can only handle a certain number per battle. I'd love to be able to manage them on a much grander scale and form small parties and send them all over the place for whatever reasons.

That's what I love about the original X-Com games, as they are a TRPG wrapped up in a grand strategy overworld later.

Very true. While I like the XCOM tactical system more as far as movement and actions go (I wouldn't be able to optimize the use of time units again), I very much DISlike that it was taken far more into RPG side with huge soldier progression.

@NoX: I've probably enjoyed Frank Herbert's original Dune tome the most.

The movies are pretty fun, in a campy sort of way, and so are the FMV sequences in the RTS games. wink.png

And, maybe there's just a tiny little bit of rose-tinted glasses to this, but I find it baffling how much personality they managed to bestow upon the Mentats in Dune II (particularly Radnor, House Harkonnen's amusingly evil Mentat - describing a Harvester, for instance, "Altough unarmed, the iron clad harvesters can be used effectively against small groups of infantry by crushing them beneath their treads." tongue.png).

Even the honesty of the Atreides is conveyed in a suitably enjoyable manner as well - Cyril, the Atreides Mentat delivers the following introduction: "Greetings, I am your Mentat Cyril. Together we will purge this planet of the foulness of the other Houses"; now that's candour right there. grin.gif

While it would seem most evident that such a universe would be best suited for an RPG or an adventure game adaptation (for the sake of exposition), the RTS titles worked remarkably well as an intro to the setting and have no doubt done wonders for the sales of the novels themselves over the years.

Some recent noteworthy developments involving the IP do give reason to take some heart in future undertakings - for instance, the new movie has already given us a great tabletop strategy game called Dune: Imperium.

@Mr.T

Very descriptive. You certainty know your.....favorite series? Of all time?

@NKF

The Outsider by HP Lovecraft was my favorite shorty story. How do you fair between UFO Defense/ Enemy Unknown, Terror from the Deep and Apocalypse? Rank them if you will with your thoughts please.

@Space Voyager

Can you mind control a Zombie?

I think this thread is a great way to discuss games that need a new lease on life.

-NoX

@NoX: Dune is certainly one of the series that deserves remembering, and continuation.

I sure won't be forgetting it at any stage.

The last related computer game, Emperor: Battle for Dune, is about to turn 20 years old this year, so getting a brand new RTS for a new generation of players as well as diehard fans would be great indeed!

• 2 years later...