DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 02:58 AM

<<Cmdr. Richter WEINDHOVEN>>

XCS Peregrine, 16 November 2067

Weindhoven strode through the corridors of the Peregrine rather uneasily.  Despite having been in NAO for so long, Ascidian architecture still looked too utilitarian for him to feel truly comfortable.  Still, he couldn't complain much...

His past month had been spent with all manners of doctors.  Mostly, it had been Yorke or his attendants, Fleche and Rallwell.  Until he had been captured, Yorke had been running all forms of psychological and physiological tests on Weindhoven, trying to determine the source of the compulsion...  Weindhoven could hardly remember the incident, it having been buried in his mind.  

The few Ascidian doctors that came to check him out, more out of interest than concern, had little to say, except that they thought there was no long term problems.  Yorke had said something similar, but there was no point taking chances.

That's what Weindhoven told himself, anyway, to keep himself sane.  Even a month sitting in the brig was too long.  Yorke had given him the green light to leave the brig, so he had been wandering around, but with Cyriacus officially in command, he had nothing of worth to do.  He wasn't allowed to touch any weapons, that was for certain.  The whole matter was depressing.

Weindhowen had decided on visiting his former officers on the Peregrine.  Of course, Ghost was still an officer and was a decorated one at that; even in the Ascidian forces, they recognized his abilities.  Ong had his fall from grace, of course, but Weindhoven couldn't really fault Ong except for bad judgement in that one instance.  Ko was always a problematic case, but he, like Ong, was loyal.  Weindhoven had wondered how the two had fared after their demotions.  A part of him had always worried that they would have taken it badly...  and he had no way of knowing whether that would be the case or not.

At least he wasn't under strict guard on the ship.  The pilot, Corporal Evander, had just dropped him off in the shuttle bay.  There wasn't even much of a reception, though Captain Yul'un'na had been on-hand to offer his welcome.  It was a true ship without formalities, much Ghost's style.

Ghost had to be the first on the list though, as the leading special operations officer on board.  Weindhoven looked down at a poorly drawn sketch, courtesy of the chief engineer, and wandered down towards the strike team offices.

<<Am I going to be the only person posting here?  :)>>
Lance Corporal Derrick "DragonHawk" Ko
Combat Engineer, Kappa Team
X-Com Alliance Sim

#42 Strong Bob

Strong Bob

Sailor Jupiter is hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 05:17 PM

<<Sorry ol' chaps! My real life has been beating me like a ton of bricks lately, which is my lame excuse for the short roleplay here. :) >>

**XCR Rommel, Colonel Chad Dogget's Ready Room**

Chad sat at his desk, cleaning his antique Megapol pistol as VAL-919 stood in front of his desk, standing at full motionless attention. Chad had a concerned look on his face... Val just had a look...

Dogget: Val, how long will it be before the alien Strain Ships will have completed their tests and move on?

VAL-919: Four days, six hours, thirty one minutes, and approximately 9 seconds, sir!

Dogget: These potential Apemen allies are taking too long. Those ships need to be destroyed before we need to catch another off guard. (Wipes off the pistol barrel and places it gingerly in it's box) Get Sergeant Woolery up here and prep the Orca for take off. I'm going to send you to find the capital ship performing it's tests near that system of gas giants. Make sure you move under cloak through the whole trip, I don't want you all caught.

VAL-919: Aye sir! Is there anything else sir?

Dogget: Just don't get caught, we have to keep trustworthy now, don't we?

**Nova Alpha Omega base, Mess Hall**

Joseph was sitting alone in the far corner of the Mess Hall. He looked down at his vegetable soup, it was pretty good stuff compared what was normally served... But not compared to those steaks aboard the Rommel...

Scott: Have I made a mistake? Colonel Dogget is clearly hiding something, but so far has done more good than harm... At least since we've made 'peace'... Would it be a better idea for me to sit back and let things happen for once? I never did that with Kacur, and look at it all now... He's dead and I'm the Alpha squad CO... Standing by wasn't a good idea then. But this time I'm not even sure, am I really getting that jaded?

He mixed his soup around a but and took a long sip from his spoon. He looked around the Mess Hall, finding several others there with him... Jackson and Necro appeared to be laughing and joking off in the other corner, Elyas Machera was entertaining John Goorit by playing a spoon bending trick while claiming he was using his psionics, and Samuel Howardson was alone right in the middle of the room... Sam wasn't eating, just brooding in his seat.

Scott: Look at them... Save for Sam, nobody seems to have a care in the world. Am I taking my suspicions too far? When it was Kacur's inabilities, I was fully certain I should've stood out. But it's not so absolute here... Maybe I should forget about this, let Cyriacus handle it. I'm getting too old to be so f**king paranoid...
Strong Bob's random Star Trek quote of the year:

*Scans rock* "It's dead, Jim." - McCoy

"Very funny, Bones." - Kirk

#43 DragonHawk

DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 02:07 AM

<<Joint Post: Cmdr. Richter WEINDHOVEN (DH) and Lt. Schmerjchanikov (Ghost)>>

XCS Peregrine, 16 November 2067

Cmdr. Weindhoven:  Weindhoven eventually found his way to Ghost's office, where he found the Lieutenant poring over some sort of document.  He almost looked too busy...  Regardless, Weindhoven put a smile on his face and knocked on the bulkhead.  "Hey, Dmitri, are you busy?"

Lt. Ghost:  Dmitri was busy sifting through the replies the Ascidian command had given him in response to what Dogget told him in their meeting a little while back, and he was trying to get together a reply to them again when Weindhoven knocked on the door. He looked up and looked surprised to see the commander there. "Commander, it is good to see you are out to walk freely again. Come on in, it's been a while."

Cmdr. Weindhoven:  "It has been, indeed."  Weindhoven didn't even want to think about what he had done...  It was too depressing.  "It's good to see that you're still well, and that the Ascidians haven't been throwing you away on suicide missions, like a part of me had feared."

Lt. Ghost:  "Fortunately they haven't, although some of the missions have been quite hazardous, especially some during our campaign in Yurilis. It seems the Ascidians are beginning to respect our method of doing battle though, mostly due to our successes." Avoiding the subject of what Weindhoven did, considering it wasn't that important really, Ghost gestured at a chair at his desk. "Take a seat sir, so tell me, what brings you to the Peregrine?"

Cmdr. Weindhoven:  "Not much, to be honest."  Weindhoven took a seat in the facing chair.  It was actually pretty comfortable, considering it should have come from a git stockpile... maybe Ghost had been successful in requisitioning normal items.  "Doc just released me from containment, though I'm still pretty much on parole...  With Brad in charge, I can't say there's much for me to do, so I thought I'd stop by and visit my former officers."

Lt. Ghost:  "Yeah, Brad seems to be doing a good job, though it's probably quite a hard time for him at the moment, with those XCR people here, and his team seemingly supporting them." He looked at Weindhoven a moment, "At least, I assume you have heard about the things going on with the XCR people, right?"

Cmdr. Weindhoven:  Weindhoven nodded, but kept his face neutral.  "I have heard some things, yes.  They are certainly... interesting characters, one might say.  What's your take on the whole issue?  You've probably had more first hand contact with this... Dogget.  What's your impression; can he be trusted?"

Lt. Ghost:  Shaking his head, Dmitri sighs, "Difficult, very difficult. I can't get a good bearing on him. He seems genuine on the one hand, but on the other hand I have a gut feeling he seems to be just using us as a tool, only to dispose of us when we are no longer useful."

Cmdr. Weindhoven:  "That's similar to what Brad and Ned mentioned to me after the meeting as well."  Weindhoven leaned back and steepled his fingers.  "How far will Dogget pursue his war against the Aliens?  Do you think he can compromise if it will help to achieve his goals?  Overall goals here, not necessarily immediate goals."

Lt. Ghost:  Leaning forward on his desk a little he looks at the papers in front of him, and then at Weindhoven again, "Well, from what I gathered from what we know about him, he seems like a genuine zealot to me. I heard he lost his family when Earth fell. I would not put it past him to be blinded by rage in his goals, to simply destroy all his adversaries. I dont know if we can make him see the Ascidians are not a threat to him."

Cmdr. Weindhoven:  "From what I understand, the Ascidians may have actually joined the Aliens out of their own free will...  Considering they are not currently conquered and will not likely be for another four or five years, that leaves maybe twenty-five years for them to be conquered and assimilated... could it be done that fast forcibly?  I don't know."  Weindhoven's brow furrowed as he thought of the possibility of Ascidian cooperation with the Aliens.

Lt. Ghost:  Dmitri nodded slightly, "Well, we have seen that some Ascidians are willing to work with the Aliens, or Starspawn. Namely the Black Spear. Maybe it is these Ascidians that manage to eventually convince the Ascidians to join the Aliens, but I doubt they would succeed in that as long as we are here to fight them. I am confident that if we can remove the powerbase of the Black Spear, the Ascidians are not likely to simply join in with the Starspawn. Not after the destruction the Starspawn have caused so far."

Cmdr. Weindhoven:  "Hmm...  Maybe history is already different in our universe than in theirs.  Maybe the Patton is destroyed over Mars in their history...  It's feasible, I suppose.  The whole time argument isn't really sitting well with me though, it's not an easy concept for me to wrap my head around."  Weindhoven decided to change the subject slightly.  "How are your troopers doing with respect to all this?"

Lt. Ghost:  "Hmmm..." Ghost thought a moment, and then replied, "Well it's difficult, the opinions are a bit all over the field, but the main consensus is that the Ascidians are our allies, they have protected and housed us, and we have helped them for all this time. There is no sense in abandoning all that now and turning against them."

Cmdr. Weindhoven:  "Fair enough judgement."  Weindhoven nodded his head in approval.  It was a stance that he had expected from Ghost and his team, but it wasn't one that Weindhoven had to have enforced for himself.  He wasn't sure yet how to weigh the pros and cons of XCR...  he needed more data on what they could actually do, and whether it was sustainable...  "Where are your other troopers located?"

Lt. Ghost:  "Usually here, though considering we are currently orbiting Arkunis IV anyway, they're mostly down on the planet surface. Either to visit friends in NAO, or to do training moves with the Ascidian military, for worst case scenario's etc."

Cmdr. Weindhoven:  "Well, I hope someone's on board..."  Weindhoven stood up and gave Ghost an informal salute.  "Let me go around and see who else might be on board, and leave you to your work.  Shall we meet for dinner?"

Lt. Ghost:  Getting up, Ghost salutes back to the commander and nods, "Sounds like a good plan to me. I'll see if I can get the others to join as well if you'd like."

Cmdr. Weindhoven:  "Excellent.  I shall see you then."  Weindhoven turned and left Ghost's office...  where to go next?  Perhaps Yul'un'na was free...  Instead, Weindhoven started to walk back towards the troop compartment.  He should at least check to see if any of the other human troopers were aboard first...
X-Com Alliance Sim

#44 Vikernes

Vikernes

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 06:49 PM

<< Pvt. McBannok >>

The VTOL had begun it's descent quite some time ago, but while the altitude was decreasing, McBannok's adrenaline was increasing, and rather wildly.

Most people were re-checking their equipment, he noticed, and so did he. He reviewed the mission briefing in his head as he checked all possible fixable malfunctions his laser rifle could have. When he moved on to the fusion pistol, he was shaken up by a clunk and his attention dragged back to reality, and not the meeting, in the safe room, away from all the aliens.

The door opened faster than he would've wanted, and he rushed along with the team outside, with members in front of him and on his sides. He sent a hand to the backpack and found the DDU just where he'd put it.

You could never be wary enough, so he looked permanently, always imagining an alien popping up out of behind a rock. They could be anywhere, this was their place!

But his efforts and the team's proved worthless, and they began moving at the Lieutenant's orders, toward the gully just in front of them.

He felt much, much safer now that he couldn't be attacked from all sides... there was the air to look at, but he could just stare upward and see both of the outcrops from the gully. He lept to the left of the gully as everyone moved forward, passing rock after rock, and wishing they would stop more often so that he could take cover.

They reached the end of the gully, and there was something up front. A little shack. He ran for a rather large boulder near the left side, and knelt behind it after he saw Private Ryan dropping to the ground, and that assured him that he wasn't going to do anything silly if he hid.

The lieutenant barely even reacted. He checked the Motion Detector and nothing was moving.

Lieutenant Scott: "Alright, everybody keep down and silent... Hoz, Ryan... Get into a stealth position and get a good look at it with your binocs... The rest of you with me..."

He saw the other two crawl away, and only then realized he should be following the Lieutenant. He had to sprint AND stoop, and almost lost his balance. Besides, the aliens would probably be bursting through the door and shooting them down any moment now, but he had to keep on.

When he finally reached his superior, he noticed something on the ground. Marks, tracks, something. It could've just been the wind, there surely wasn't anything here that could stir the ground. Albeit this, he checked his surroundings again. When they finally reached the shack, it looked like it had been there for years without use.

For some reason McBannok wouldn't ever find out, he circled around the shack, looking for the entrance, and back to the starting point. The Lieutenant checked for motion again, shutting everyone's movements.

McBannok's hands trembled from the anticipation. It would barely have been noticeable, if he had not a rifle in his hands. He looked at the shaking rifle and took a deep breath and goes to one knee for better support.

He just chanced to look up at the officer's face that moment, and he barely collapsed as he noticed his expression. "Oh, great. They're everywhere.... They're EVERYWHERE!", he thought as he regained his balance with a hand on the ground.

He sent a "They're here..." pale nod to the others, who whispered something to one another and moved to the shack, at the same time as Yorke appeared through the gully and walked to them. Where the heck he had been, McBannok didn't know, but he could've put a hole through his knees. If anything had happened noone knew what to do with serious injuries.

It was too much. "Sir...?", he whispered toward his superior, hoping for confirmation of his fears, or better, he dared wish.

Lieutenant Scott: "Very good Doctor.", he said with a small smirk and a pause, " Alright, I'll be moving in first, followed closely by Howardson, Hoz, and Ryan. Everyone else move in after we're in. Got it?"

He moved inside, followed by the others. The shots would be coming any moment now, McBannok knew. Only they didn't. He was happy he hadn't gone first, but he wasn't happy he was outside alone with the doctor...

His eye began twitching again, he noticed. He really couldn't help it, and when he lifted a hand to try to stop it, he nearly punched himself. That was enough of being outside, he went inside, rifle in hand. Nothing had happened... there were just a few old dusty crates in the middle of the room. He moved next to Ryan, who seemed rather awake.

The lieutenant takes Howardson aside for a few words, and McBannok is surprised by Ryan.

Private Ryan: "I don't think Colonel Dogget's information would have included the internal layout of the basis.  If only it were so easy...  Gael, start looking at those crates while I check the bloody walls...or baseboard, or something.  There's got to be a way."

They both started working, Ryan along the walls and McBannok to the crates. He clicked the security pin on his rifle and let it hang by the harness. He unholdstered his pistol, and pointed it at a crate. He moved slowly, trying not to make any noise for no particular reason, an slid a hand towards the top of the first crate. With only two fingers, he opened it, pointing the fusion pistol inside, aiming at... buttons. There were buttons inside, one with arrows, up and down, and the other with 'a weird circle emiting something'.

He didn't recognize it. And there wasn't much logic to it. One single button for up and down, and one for nothing he knew about.
He let everyone know that he had found something with a whispery 'Sir!...', and Yorke approached him, as well as a few of the others.

Yorke: "What you got?"

McBannok was still pointing the gun at the buttons as if they were dangerous. He decided that they weren't much of an enemy, and put the gun back by his side, with the safety pin on.

There was a bit of discussion that McBannok wasn't really sure he would be able to contribute to, and finally, Yorke decided to press the button... They all went against the walls as the floor moved, some faster, some slower. The floor had moved, but the dust remained there, hovering. McBannok snatches his rifle up and points at it.

'Eh... gravlift.', he remembered thinking, before an echoing syren went up down below, and the Lieutenant looked to his motion sensor, which was emmiting MUCH more light than usual.
"Winter is coming."
--- Stark family saying

Private Gael McBannok - Official Mission Screwer
X-Com Alliance Sim

#45 Strong Bob

Strong Bob

Sailor Jupiter is hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:35 AM

**One day later, back at NAO**

Joseph walked down the hallway leading to the High Security area in NAO. The Floater they had captured on their attack on the alien laboratory was imprisoned here, and was currently the only source on info regarding the development of the Human/Sectoid Hybrids. Joseph didn't trust Colonel Dogget anymore, but that was up to Colonel Cyriacus to deal with now. Joseph was only meant to worry about Alpha squad now...

Scott: They managed to escape us... A whole ship...

After the fighting, a UFO departed the lab. It sped off into space, and an Ascadian fighter squadron tailed them in hot pursuit until it managed to evade them. The ship appeared to be of medium size, not likely an evacuation ship... Too small... But that was something to shake out of the prisoner.

The doors into the containment area opened, right now there were only two single-cells occupied. The Aereon prisoner from a mission long ago was still there, Joseph hoped to commence interrogations a long time ago but time was not well. The Floater was placed farther down the hall...

Scott: (Thinking as he approaches the Floater's cell) The bastard let himself be captured. Just threw his hands up as I executed his friends... I need to be careful about this one...

The doors to the cell slid open, and the Floater could be seen standing upright on it's now non-functional hover device. The Floater obviously understood at least a minor degree of english, as it obeyed specific commands given by Corporal Goorit upon capture, but it either couldn't or wouldn't respond back in English.

Scott: You...

The Floater looked at Joseph with a blank stare.

Scott: Ahem... I take it you can't speak english? Blink once for no and say 'hello' for yes...

#46 DragonHawk

DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 07:17 PM

Mission Report

UGS Patton, 18 November 2067

Ryan grunted as he helped Fleche lift Stalk's body onto a stretcher.  The medic had been hit with a plasma bolt; she was fortunate to have gotten off as light as she did,  

Lieutenant Yorke was standing by, impassive as usual.  "Get her out of here.  Medbay, the usual preparations for plasma wounds."  Yorke waved his hand at them in some level of urgency while he looked after stowing his kit.  

"OK, Beck, time to go for a little ride."  Ryan lifted his end of the stretcher and looked over towards Fleche at the front.  "We're good to go.  Let's move."

The mission, as far as he was concerned, had not been highly unusual, but every foray into combat carried in it the possibility of death.  Ryan didn't particularly enjoy having to deal with that or the aftermath; the sight of Stalk's arm wasn't exactly appetizing.  But, on the other hand, he COULD do it, which was better than a lot of other people.  

Ryan shook his head as he and Fleche entered the medbay.  He let his mind run through the motions; it was nothing he hadn't done before.  One, two, three, lift...  Just follow the procedure...
X-Com Alliance Sim

#47 DragonHawk

DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 05:39 PM

XCR Peregrine, 19 November 2067

Lance Corporal Ko looked over the mission summary from the previous action.  It looked like it had been a relative success; the base had been neutralized and its branch of research hopefully scattered to the winds.

One question that pervaded his mind was whether the core of the experiments were anywhere in this vicinity.  Why would the Aliens commit themselves to such important research in such an undefended location.  It was nonsense, in a way, which meant that it was possible that the important research was going on elsewhere.  The question was, where?

The data obtained from the Powerhouse had indeed been a good starting point, but Ko suspected that the cutting-edge research was being done elsewhere.  It wasn't the first time that the ponderous mass of the Alien empire had come into question.  How big was it really?  How far did it expand?  

For all he knew, the research could be going on all over the place, in every Alien owned system.  He didn't think so though, for a number of reasons.  First, research that spread out was garaunteed to be inefficient.  The minor gains of parallel research would be offset by the losses in lack of easy co-operation.  Second, the resource allocation and administration of the bases so spread out was likely to be a nightmare, especially in then numbers provided by the Powerhouse.  Third, was research really that diversified?  Ko didn't think so, and thus didn't think multiple facilities were justified, not so far from the Alien's territorial core.

Short of a campaign into the Alien interior, what could they really do?  To do that, they needed an Alien capital ship, navigational data, all sorts of things that would take time and effort to obtain.  Ko paused, then started to prepare a memo for Lieutenant Ghost.
X-Com Alliance Sim

#48 DragonHawk

DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 07:54 PM

<<Joint Post: Cpl. Jonathan GOORIT (Shadow) and Pvt. Jarl RYAN (DragonHawk)>>

UGS Patton, 18 November 2067

Pvt. Ryan: Ryan sighed as he stepped out of what was designated as the emergency section of the medical ward.  The Patton's medical facilities were top notch, courtesy of Ascidian science, but the area still felt cramped.  "There's just never enough medical equipment..."  At least they could take care of Rebecca.  Ryan was about to leave the medbay to grab some food when Shadow walked into the medbay.

Cpl. Shadow: :: Walks into the medical bay, whistling quietly so he doesn't disturb the calm silence in the room. Then he sights Ryan and walks up to him :: Oh, hey, how are you, private? :: Smiles and looks around, looking for Stalk's bed ::

Pvt. Ryan: "Corporal Shadow, welcome to medbay."  Ryan nodded, but his initial grin faltered.  "You're hear to check up on Rebecca?  She's uh... she's doing ok, but the doctor is working on her right now, so you can't see her.  Want to go get some grub?"  On the off-chance things didn't go well, Ryan thought it best to leave it to Yorke, without having someone looking over his shoulder.

Cpl. Shadow: "Um... Is that so?" Shadow said when he heard Rebecca was being treated by Yorke at the moment. However, he smiled upon Ryan's suggestion. "Yes, sure, I could use a good meal right now." Jonathan agreed, walking up to the medbay's door, waiting for the private.

Pvt. Ryan: Ryan followed Shadow to the mess hall.  He decided to lighten the conversation a bit.  "So, how's the uhh... relationship going?"  Ryan winked at Shadow.  "You two seem to be pretty cuddly."  Ryan grinned; there were always rumours going around the ship, and the Shadow-Stalk relationship had been no different.  

Cpl. Shadow: Jon was a bit startled by Ryan's comment. "Uh... you mean, me and Rebecca?" Shadow clumsily inquired because he didn't want to answer. He was a bit shy about that. "Well, things are going well, but we haven't got serious so far." The corporal stated, blushed a bit. He then waved the bartender for a drink. "But I don't know how will this relationship develop... Becky is quite careless in combat, and..." Shadow commented nervously, a bit sad.

Pvt. Ryan: Ryan nodded in understanding.  He ordered a burger and a drink and leaned on the counter to wait.  "Yeah, I know what you mean, I think.  You don't want to get too attached to someone who you might lose in the future...  Not the safest business we're in."

Cpl. Shadow: Jonathan ordered a cheeseburger to the bartender when he brought his beer mug. After that, Jon turned back to Jarl. "Yes, I know. But what really concerns me is that I may not be always around to keep her out of danger. And one of those days..." Shadow said, nervous about this grim future. "I really don't want to picture the situation in my head." Jonathan accepted.

Pvt. Ryan: "Fair enough.  But hey, enjoy the moment.  It's rare enough emotion to come by nowadays, and I envy you in that."  Ryan took a drink and shrugged.  "Maybe you should set Rebecca up with one of the other guys for some extra training.  Both Jackson and Necro are good all-round fighters; maybe they could teach her something."

Cpl. Shadow: His cheeseburger is delivered to him, and he chomps a fair portion of it and swallows some beer from its mug. After his mouth is clean again, he speaks back to Jarl. "Yes, I've tried to teach her lots of things." Jonathan stated. "But she keeps getting into trouble once we're in a mission, and I don't know how to let her know that's going to kill her some day." Shadow shrugged and took another bite of his burger.

Pvt. Ryan: "I assume she went through Basic like everyone else....  Or is she a civilian?  I had never really thought about it, but..."  Ryan let his voice trail off.  If she was, bringing her into combat would be a bad idea, but it didn't seem likely.  Her actions didn't exactly give her much credence though.

Cpl. Shadow: "No, she is a soldier, but I dunno why does she keep doing the same thing every mission, even though I've stopped her most of the times." Shadow commented, disappointed, while he drank some more beer. "Why would she be a civilian?" Jonathan inquired, considering the possibility unlikely.

Pvt. Ryan: "Why not?  X-Com has civilian staff.  Generally not in expeditionary units and not frozen, but they have it.  It's expensive to put all these people through training when only a fraction will use it anyway."  Ryan shrugged as he chewed another piece of burger.  "Maybe she's just got no combat instinct?"

Cpl. Shadow: "I don't know, but it's a plausible conclusion. Or she may be too overconfident of herself because she always manages to get out alive and kicking" Jonathan stated, but soon found relief on something he just realized. "I hope this injury and her time in medbay will aware her the situation could've been a lot worse. But it wasn't, fortunately." Shadow said, before chomping another piece of his burger.

Pvt. Ryan: Polishing off his burger, Ryan wiped his mouth with a napkin.  "I hope so too.  Deaths are bad for morale, not to mention that we can ill afford the loss of too many soldiers.  Kappa Team is taking some of the cryo pods onto the Peregrine, leaving us with even less."

Cpl. Shadow: "Yes..." Jonathan finished off his cheeseburger, too. "And I've also heard we don't have many left." Shadow commented, nervously, thinking of the consequences X-COM would have to face when they ran out of cryo-soldiers. "And it's true, we have lost quite a lot of operatives throughout our campaign, and losing more of our men would endanger our existance here..." Jon stated grimly, wiping his mouth like Ryan and taking the last amount of beer down his throat.

Pvt. Ryan: "Well, if the XCR boys are right..."  Ryan didn't want to pursue that line of conversation though.  There was little use contemplating the inevitable end; the best thing to do would be to let it come when it came, and do everything they could do to stop it.  

Cpl. Shadow: Jonathan stood up as the bartender took his empty plate and mug away. Then he turned back to Ryan. "Yes, I hope we're trusting the right guys." Jonathan said, wiping some burger remnants off his uniform. "Alright, I should be going now. I'm really tired, so I could use some sleep." Jonny smiled at Jarl.

Pvt. Ryan: Ryan slapped Shadow on the back lightly.  "Sleep sounds like a good plan, but I've got to take a bit of a later watch tonight.  Take it easy, we'll talk again later."  With a nod, Ryan took off for the medbay.  He hoped it would be uneventful, but one could never know for sure...

Cpl. Shadow: Jonathan also took off to his quarters. He was really exhausted and a good night's sleep would surely reinvigorate his strength by the next day's morning. He said goodbye to Jarl and soon they left the Mess Hall in different directions.
X-Com Alliance Sim

#49 Vikernes

Vikernes

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 08:49 PM

<< Private McBannok >>

McBannok was silent the whole trip back from the base. He got himself on a corner, and just stared at the ground.

Once the VTOL finally landed, he took no rush going out, and just put his stuff stiffly on the armoury, walking away to his quarters. Before he could leave the hangar however, Rallwell (whom he hadn't even noticed) came rushing after taking a quick look to the others.

"Was she expecting me?", he thought, as he heard her voice. "Bah, what does it matter, I screwed up big time."
Amidst all the confusion of the captive being carried and the injured, McBannok still heard the tip-tap-tip-tap of her feet jogging, nearing him.

"McBannok! Hey, McBannok". He forced himself not to look back. As he reached the door, he remembered again how he had managed to ruin the whole mission. He grit his jaws and punched the door on his way out, even if it did hurt afterward.

He rushed to the locker rooms, to get the combat suit, and into his normal clothes. Rallwell decided to skip on trying to talk to him there. His failure was consuming him from the inside. He slammed his locker door to close it, and left at a quick pace, to his quarters.

McBannok's days were spent as far away from Rallwell as possible (which wasn't much, since she was an engineer too), who was really the only one still trying to talk to him. He had to force himself not to answer back when she gave a shot at starting a conversation. He concentrated as much on job as possible, research and mending guns that were broken, cleaning stuff... anything to keep his mind off the mission.

That failure, he was sure, would haunt him for a long time.
"Winter is coming."
--- Stark family saying

X-Com Alliance Sim

#50 Saber Warrior

Saber Warrior

XCAS Nocturnal Cat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 12:32 PM

<< PVT McBannok >>

McBannok paused for a while to examine himself in the mirror. The figure that stared back at him looked exhausted with his hair in a mess and dark rings under his eyes. He was about to turn away when he noticed that something was wrong.......

His reflection in the mirror became distorted and blurred out for a few seconds. "I must be worse than I thought" He rubbed his eyes and stared at the mirror again and found himself again. He frowned at the mirror but his reflection in it had an almost comical smile on his face. Strangely, the McBannok in the mirror looked similar yet different at the same time. It was as if he had lost a part of himself and that part had become a different McBannok, one who led a different life and had other experiences.

McBannok was almost certain that he was dreaming and decided to play along. He said something witty but was stopped by his alter-ego. "Hehehe, it's your turn to control this body" After his reflection had finished speaking, it jumped out of the mirror and disappeared into his body. He felt a sharp pain in his head as images and sounds of events that happened flooded into his mind. It was too much for him to take and he blacked out.

When he opened his eyes, everything seemed to be back to normal. He shrugged it off as mere hallucinations but somehow he felt more complete and refreshed. He stepped out of his room and found some grafiti spray-painted on the walls by Jackson some time ago. It read, "Mirrors are more dangerous than television." McBannok laughed and continued on his way. "How very true! Wait, I'm actually agreeing to something that Jackson wrote.......I NEED A MEDIC!!"

<<Alright, I'm officially passing this character to Vikernes. Have fun!  :) >>

#51 Ego Terrorist

Ego Terrorist

Leader of the "We love Tammy" Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 11:31 AM

<<Dr Yorke, Medical Office>>

Yorke sat down in his chair once again back in his office, he'd noticed how lately he'd either find himself in his office or on the battlefield, he looked at the stack of papers on his desk, medical reports, research progress reports, support squad details and assignments. It seemed that the higher one got up the command chain the more paper work that had to be dealt with. Life was so much more easier when they first set off, even when they first arrived in this hostile region of space, back then all he had to do was medical and autospies and file a report which was forwarded to his CO's. Life as a private was so much easier.

"Stuff it." He said pushing his chair away from the desk. Yorke stood up and walked over to his sink and mirror he placed both hands on the sink and sighed while shaking his head, he opened up the tap and cupped his hands under the tap and then splashed the water against his face. Taking the hand towel he dried off his face and looked at himself in the mirror. "Bag's under the eyes...pale complexion, the patient is also complaining of feeling 'down' and 'tired'. The patient seems to be physically healthly however there is indication that the patient is suffering from exhaustion, he doesn't seem to be sleeping well, also has been under a lot of physical and mental strain. Doctor's recommendation: Patient should be taken off the active duty roster pending a full medical evaluation and the resultant treatment."

Yorke would of smirked if he wasn't feeling how he was. Refering to himself as 'the patient' felt quite natural, which did bother him, had he really became so detached? though that said his diagnosis of himself was probably quite accurate, after all he knew how he was feeling and how to diagnose the symptoms. Well, he'd deal with that later, right now he was going to try and catch a bit of sleep, after which Yorke had decided that he'd get a bit of the paper work dealt with and then perhaps he'd get a chance to do what he really wanted to do, research.
Dammit I just misspelled on my christmas present list...now I've asked satan for an inflatable Buffy.

Leader of the "We love Tammy club!"

#52 Strong Bob

Strong Bob

Sailor Jupiter is hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 02:54 AM

<<NOTE: Only those whom participated in the recent mission have been captured. The rest are aboard the UGS Patton and currently presume the team MIA.>>

***Edit by DH - Mission Report***

**Prison Cell, Unknown UFO at an Unknown Location**

Joseph awoke inside a small prison cell with some of  the rest of the team. He and everyone else had been completely stripped of armor and weapons, leaving nothing but the durable black 'spandex' underlay worn under standard armor. Joseph found himself in a 10x7 foot room with Corporal Goorit. There was an opening along one of the broad sides of the cell, where faint bluish glow hinted at a force field. Across the hall he found Private McBannok, Private Ryan, and Doctor Yorke in a similar cell parallel to theirs. The lights seemed pretty dim, leaving the force field glow to be the most illuminating source of light.

Scott: Where the hell are we?

Joseph tried to sit up from his little cot, but he fell back immediately after a lingering pain seared into his head. The last thing he remembered was making a snide toilet related comment to a Floater, before falling unconscious after being pistol whipped from behind.

Scott: Damn, they got us. (Sighs in frustration.) How is everyone? Everybody here? Injuries?

#53 Vikernes

Vikernes

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 07:16 PM

<< Private McBannok >>

McBannok stirred slightly as the Lieutenant's faint voice echoed around the indigo-lit walls of the cells. It only took a bit more insistance on Scott's part to get him to open his eyes. The strange colour was definitely weird to him, and it took quite awhile to remember the few seconds before collapsing on the ground unconscious. The fumes and the rage at the Lieutenant for not issuing any orders (if any could have been issued at all).

His lungs stang horribly, so he didn't do anything but try to get used to breathing. The athmosphere was heavy, and he could hear the breaths from his other crewmembers. He finally managed to let his head turn, facing Scott, and nodded. Before he could whisper "sir", his lungs flashed in pain, and he broke into a coughing fit which took a while to cool down. After that, he turned his head back up and just lay still.

What the heck WAS the place anyway? He still hadn't figured that out, but a more careful look around revealed bars and the source of the bluish light. It didn't take much IQ to understand where they were. So much for underestimating the aliens...

McBannok still said nothing, only thinking. He didn't even want to know if anyone had actually died, the very thought of it was unpleasant enough. He began thinking what the hell had happened to the so-called backup outside. They'd just vanished, no sign whatsoever. But they hadn't heard anything leave or fire, except the shells hitting the base, so they probably hadn't put up much of a fight either.

"Well, whatever has happened, this was one huge mess...", he thought, fighting his lungs, defending against another cough.
"Winter is coming."
--- Stark family saying

X-Com Alliance Sim

#54 Ego Terrorist

Ego Terrorist

Leader of the "We love Tammy" Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:22 PM

Yorke had been leaning against the cold metal wall since they first arrived here, where ever 'here' was. They were on a planet that much he'd known but given that they were already in Starspawn territory they could be deep within the alien controlled space. He'd been constantly reliving the events that happened several hours ago wondering if there had been anything that he could of done differently...perhaps it would have been better to of not surrendered but then they would all be dead. Which may of been better than being in captivity.

Yorke heard Scott stir and come around then he soon heard Scott say. "How is everyone? Everybody here? Injuries?"

"Hey Scott, Yorke's here, I'm tired but then it's been a long day." Replied Yorke. "I'm guessing everybody is here and is alive." Yorke paused for a moment and after a lenghty silence where nobody spoke Yorke spoke once again. "It would appear that Wooly and Valery decided to leave the party early. Bastards."
Dammit I just misspelled on my christmas present list...now I've asked satan for an inflatable Buffy.

Leader of the "We love Tammy club!"

#55 DragonHawk

DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:51 PM

<<Pvt. Jarl RYAN>>

Prison Cell, 21 November 2067

Ryan coughed heavily as he sat up.  Just having regained consciousness, he felt like a truck had run over him.  His chest ached, his nose was dry...  Everything felt horrible.  

It was a little while before his vision sharpened.  He could see the ugly prison cell around them; it was reasonably clean, but not aesthetically pleasing in any way.  Ryan looked around, and saw both Yorke and McBannok nearby, both looking like they had seen better days.

His hearing started to come back too, enough to hear Yorke's comments.  ""It would appear that Wooly and Valery decided to leave the party early. Bastards."

Ryan groaned...  Why had they been abandoned?  "They must have had a good reason for leaving.  We don't know... they're probably getting reinforcements for us.  They'll spring us out of here."

Ryan leaned back against the wall.  He sure hoped they would be getting out of here soon... or at all.
X-Com Alliance Sim

#56 DragonHawk

DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:05 PM

<<JOINT POST:  Col. Brad CYRIACUS (Ghost) and Col. Chad DOGGET (DH)>>

Nova Alpha Omega, 21 November 2067

Col. Cyriacus: Sitting at his desk and sifting through the latest reports about the X-Com activities, Colonel Cyriacus takes a drink from the mug of coffee on his desk. It's been a long day, and he's been busy. When the door buzzer sounds he looks up, irritated and a bit surprised. "Yes? Come on in, it's not locked."

Col. Dogget: Opening the door carefully, Dogget entered Cyriacus' office and looked at his counterpart with a troubled look.  "Good afternoon Colonel.  I'm afraid I have some bad news, for both of us.  May I sit?"  Dogget put a look of dismay on his face.

Col. Cyriacus: Noticing the look on Dogget's face, Cyriacus frowned a bit. Bad news from the XCR could possibly mean very bad news for the X-Com forces at NAO. He gestured at a chair on the other side of his desk. "By all mean, sit down. You look troubled indeed. What is it that is bothering you?"

Col. Dogget: "The Starspawn were waiting for us."  Dogget shook his head sadly.  "Their last assault, against what we thought was an undefended research outpost, was too good to be true.  We thought we had lots of time to get in and out, but instead, the Starspawn had a regiment just waiting for us."  Dogget's voice dropped in volume.  "A couple of my troopers made it out alive, barely.  From what Sergeant Woolery told me, he saw hundreds of Sectoid troopers converging on the research facility as he and two of his men fought and escaped the base.  He ordered the Orca straight back here, with a message to the Patton to do the same; they should be returning any time now..."

Col. Cyriacus: "Hundreds of them?" It took Cyriacus a moment to let it sink in what Dogget just told him. "They were waiting for you, so they knew you were coming. How would they have known? Or did they purposely set this up as a trap? And did Alpha Team get away safely?" A lot of questions at once, but this had been completely unexpected, and unlike the Starspawn encountered before.

Col. Dogget: "I don't know.  It's possible that the research database was rigged for just this purpose.  In fact, I suspect the target they presented was just too easy to ignore... and we fell for it."  Dogget became angry.  "We should have known better, but we got too confident...  It cost us 70% of my squad and all of yours.  I'm sorry."  

Col. Cyriacus: Nodding slowly as Dogget explains what happened. "I see... wait, did you say all of mine? Has the entire team been killed then? I somehow find that hard to believe... even considering the overwhelming odds." Cyriacus looked shocked when he realized what Dogget might be implying.

Col. Dogget: "I share your feelings, I assure you."  Dogget shook his head though.  "I do have reason to believe they were captured.  Woolery attempted a rescue with the Orca and its guns, so maintained communication range for a fair amount of time.  He believes that a good number were taken prisoner.  They have a military base on planet - our soldiers may be there."

Col. Cyriacus: "Hmmm... taken prisoner with such a regiment guarding them would pose a severe problem indeed..." Cyriacus nodded while he was staring into nothingness, thinking on the situation. "Do you know anything else on the situation? How well the base is defended, their manpower or an assessment of it."

Col. Dogget: "That is not something that I know.  Extensive casualties were inflicted, but as to remaining strength...  It could be anything.  I do have a possible plan to retrieve our troopers.  However..."  Dogget frowned as he leaned close.  "I'd rather not trust my troopers to outsiders, no matter how much we should be the same, but I cannot leave Arkunis, not without immediately being considered a hostile party, which is not what I want.  I need you to ask your Kappa Team to assault the base.  It can be done; elements of the fourth fleet here can provide a decoy by landing troops on planet, forcing the military forces to, in part, leave their compound."

Col. Cyriacus: "Hmmmm..." Cyriacus scratched his chin and thought. "With such an overwhelming enemy force, the risk would be considered extremely high, as they will no doubt assume the assault will be to rescue the troopers there... I believe that plan might have a chance of success when properly set up though... very well, I will pass it along to Lieutenant Schmerjchanikov, and he can assess the situation and decide whether or not they can take on the assignment."

Col. Dogget: "That is a good point, indeed..."  Dogget frowned even more, if it were possible.  "Is the deployment of an Ascidian combat regiment a possibility?  I have not yet spoken with Ascidian representatives about this, but their aid would help tremendously.  Or..."  Dogget's eyes tightened.  "We could use bombardment, either space-side or fighter ordnance, to do the job.  Is the Patton capable of such?"

Col. Cyriacus: Shaking his head Cyriacus declined that idea. "The Patton is not a combat vessel, sure there have been weapons fitted on it, but these are more for defense against enemy craft than bombardment of a planet. Besides, the risk we might hit the location our troops are captured is too great. I will try to pull some strings with the Ascidian military, but I think they'll be quite eager to be able to fight a Starspawn army, it might be good for their morale."

Col. Dogget: "Good.  Thank you, Colonel Cyriacus.  It is indeed good to have allies."  Dogget smiled as he stood.  "I trust that you have enough information to convince your subordinates that a rescue operation is indeed possible.  If you need anything, please let me know."  Dogget offered his hand to Cyriacus.  "Thank you."

Col. Cyriacus: Getting up, Cyriacus shakes the hand of Dogget, "It's in our mutual best interest to see this operation succeed. One last thing though, should Lieutenant Schmerjchanikov ask for it, he might want to discuss with Sergeant Woolery what he saw happening when he left. Anything that might help in the rescue operation.

Col. Dogget: "Of course, that is reasonable.  I will detach the Orca and Sergeant Woolery to your Lieutenant immediately.  My other two troopers are too injured to help, they will stay on board the Rommel.  Let me know where they can meet, and I will see it happen.  Have a good day, Colonel."  Dogget's eyes tightened.  "Once we have negotiated with the Ascidians, the Starspawn will have a price to pay."

Col. Cyriacus: Cyriacus nods at Dogget's last comment, "They certainly will. Good day to you as well Colonel. I will contact the Lieutenant as soon as possible."
X-Com Alliance Sim

#57 Strong Bob

Strong Bob

Sailor Jupiter is hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 02:50 PM

Yorke: It would appear Wooly and Valery decided to leave the party early. Bastards.

As the memory flew back into his mind, Joseph let out a frustrating growl and immediately thrusted the bottom of his fist against the metallic wall while still laying on his uncomfortable cot.

Scott: I KNEW it! I knew they couldn't be trusted! Dogget was hiding something... But it doesn't explain why?

Joseph sat up and flung his legs over the side of the alien cot. It was very akward, trying to sit up straight, after laying down on a bed likely designed for a very different life form. He cracked his neck left and right with his hands before stretching. He stood up and looked at Goorit who was in the same cell as him.

Scott: Everyone's nice and dandy? Good, because we're likely in for some torture... Although I don't think this will be nearly as pleasant as the API Dream Machine from so long ago...

Joseph shuddered a bit, realizing that his Utopia drugs must be wearing off for him to recall that mission so easily now. He shook his head and tried to forget the best he can.

Scott: Suggestions people? McBannok, you're the Engineer... (Gestures to the forcefields at the entrance/exits of their cells) What do you make of these fields? Can they be broken with nothing but meat, bone, and the clothes on our backs by any remote chance?

#58 Vikernes

Vikernes

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 12:28 AM

<< Private McBannok >>

McBannok had now finally managed to pull himself into a sitting position, and even walk around the cell a bit. His knees cracked a couple of times as he took his first steps, but apart from tense muscles and stinging lungs, there didn't seem to be much else wrong with him.

As he heard the Lieutenant and commanding officer of the mission speak up, his feet took him to the lighted blue opening. It's glow was the only thing keeping his eyes from total darkness, as the rest was walls and nothing else. He had begun to have a grudge against blue though.

Scott: McBannok, you're the Engineer... What do you make of these fields? Can they be broken with nothing but meat, bone, and the clothes on our backs by any remote chance?

At first, he thought it was a stupid idea. Then, as it was Lieutenant Scott that asked, he thought again, and the others saw him twist his body around, looking at the mentioned objects, and then at the blue screen before him. Maybe Scott had seen something that he had not, some idea, some glimpse... something! But nop, it was a stupid idea. Nothing could get through the open doorway.

McBannok: They'll come for us. They have to. (staring blankly at the door, his shoulders drooped, and without any movement)

It was all the answer he could give...
He proceded to inspect the what he could see of the outside of the cells. It was a normal cellblock, and he thought he caught the glimpse of some other cells with their protections activated, but he couldn't be sure. All he saw for definite was control pads right outside the doorways. They could easily reach them if they only put an arm out and touched it, but they couldn't. And there wasn't even a proper door, that was the most frustrating part of it.

He turned and walked back to a wall, on which he leant. Like he said, they had to come. Either that or they could try to pull some hostage type thing when the Starspawn came. As if they wouldn't be armoured. He let out a louder sigh than he intended, and closed his eyes.
"Winter is coming."
--- Stark family saying

X-Com Alliance Sim

#59 Strong Bob

Strong Bob

Sailor Jupiter is hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 04:09 PM

Scott: Take it as a no? (He sighed) Well, didn't hurt to try now, did it?

Joseph was annoyed with Gael's nigh apathetic reply, but that's not where the frustration came from. Joseph was feeling flashes of the last two times he was in prison... In the API base due to the Nephilim creatures and the X-COM prison due to Martin Kacur's incompetance.

Scott: I'm glad he's dead...

He noticed that the force field was generated from the entire prison threshold, meaning that damaging no one spot would shut it down. It would need to be either destroyed completely or manually deactivated. Neither option was within their grasp... Or was it?

Scott: They'll come for us... (Echoing Gael's comment) Yes... That might be a chance. Gael, look at the field again... Do you know if it can not be reactivated properly if there is an obstruction in the field when it's turned on? Like maybe some kinda failsafe or interference?

#60 Vikernes

Vikernes

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 07:29 PM

<< Private McBannok >>

McBannok propped himself back up, and walked to the field, listening to Scott's orders. He inspected it inch by inch, checking for any sensors of some sort. His fingers ran along the wall on the inside of the cell, barely touching the blue glow, and his eyestare ran by them.

There weren't any signs of any kind of sensors or infra-reds. He'd learned about this in his training. The first systems had to have some kind of sensor to provide safety, by checking heat or obstruction with infra-red sensors. However, he'd studied that some newer versions of forcefields would not even start if there was any object obstructing the place where the field would appear.

One of two. Either it would not start if ANYTHING was in the way, or it would just start, splitting anything in two if it moved.

McBannok: There aren't any devices I can see, sir. It may start, and it may not start. If it does, one doesn't want to be below it... sir. They'd have to be sadistic to kill prisoners this way though, sir.

He stared unenthusiastically at the barrier and took a few steps back. This was despairing.
"Winter is coming."
--- Stark family saying

X-Com Alliance Sim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users