26 replies to this topic

#21 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:54 AM

I am going to point an accusatory finger at XComutil for the Xarquid placement issue there. This is one of the many reasons why I stopped using it to play the game.

Or at least TFTD - it's fine with UFO but did have a habit making new bugs for TFTD. Bladefirelight did his best to fix some things after taking of the reins, but I think for this day and age the absolute best way to play TFTD is to go as vanilla as possible with just the v2 patch or use OpenXcom.
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#22 ñΩxicity

ñΩxicity

Resident Åsshole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 04:59 AM

View PostNKF, on 05 October 2020 - 03:54 AM, said:

I am going to point an accusatory finger at XComutil for the Xarquid placement issue there. This is one of the many reasons why I stopped using it to play the game.

Or at least TFTD - it's fine with UFO but did have a habit making new bugs for TFTD. Bladefirelight did his best to fix some things after taking of the reins, but I think for this day and age the absolute best way to play TFTD is to go as vanilla as possible with just the v2 patch or use OpenXcom.

I absolutely agree,

There is no reason why in this day in age a Squid shouldn't be modified in a laboratory and kill us all in 2020. It's unthinkable.

-NoX
"If you win it's just a game, but if you lose it's a complete waste of time"

-Al Bundy (Married With Children)

#23 Nilex

Nilex

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 04:57 PM

View Postmagic9mushroom, on 05 October 2020 - 02:57 AM, said:

I just use hex-editing. UNITREF and UNITPOS are pretty easy to read and modify with the UFOpaedia articles as a guide; this particular one is just a matter of scrolling down to the aliens and flipping the "is unit visible" flag.

(With hex-editing it's also pretty simple to move a unit, because location of units and items is stored as where-is-this-thing rather than what-is-here.)
I ended up 'killing' it using X-Com Hack. Simply a matter of selecting it from a list and changing its health value (can be used for capture too). Can also 'kill all' without XCU's side effect of destroying equipment. Pretty neat program that also works in Win7 without issues. Only found out about the feature because its "reveal map" function does only that but sadly leaves aliens hidden. Btw, the walls in the screeny were indestructible with the tools I had/found. So that also contributed to me digging deeper in hack features. Level above shown room has a metal grate as the floor (bow of the ship), but it too is indestructible, and opaque (contrary to visual appearance). Looks like a lift down to 2nd stage so it's funny it's inaccessible. Only 'legit' way in I guess would may be with Disruptors, hacked to work on land.

It was my first Mixed Crew ship so I found both Calcinite (2nd stage) and Triscenes. And yet two more weird things happened. It's like the game never stops trowing surprises at me.
  • Captured Triscene from 1st ship stage transferred over to 2nd stage, resulting in 2 live ones. Only I expected dead+live combo. Always thought all 1st stage (of any kind) captures convert to corpses by the end.
  • Already researched Calcinite corpse earlier in playthrough (back in 2012... via infamous Medic) apparently permanently locking myself out of Vibro Blade tree. But when I came back to base I was able to research another one, brought from the ship. It may have been TFTDextender at work though, as it always allows duplicate live alien research (to avoid related bugs) with possible addition of Calcinite corpses.
Oh and as soon as I bashed the AI in previous post, in the very next downed USO mission, a Tasoth used Disruptor with multiple waypoints on me for the first time ever. In over 200 battles I have not seen this... When they did use it, it was always like a regular single waypoint 'bullet'. Usually missing and/or suiciding themselves (and their comrades). Yeah safe to say, we had ups and downs this game and me. Thanks for being a pal throughout my adventures m9m.

View PostNKF, on 05 October 2020 - 03:54 AM, said:

XCU substantially expanded my beliefs about what could be done using BAT files. By far most complex install process of any similar I saw. Surprised I never once broke an install, lol. But anyway, it wasn't XCU's fault - only used it on a save folder because I knew it can reveal those pesky hidden aliens. I play using TFTDextender but it can't be at fault either. I write it up to plain 'ol bugs we all can't live without.

#24 Nilex

Nilex

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:16 PM

View PostNilex, on 15 August 2020 - 06:14 PM, said:

...In fact I've had two consecutive Fleet Supply Cruiser (or was it Hunter?) missions where both times all aliens were well outside the sub, sparing me the effort of going in full SWAT mode. If only this happened on Dreadnought too...
I'm not the one to quote own posts but... the unthinkable finally happened. Downed Aquatoid occupied Dreadnought, on a common Floating Base Attack mission - all spawned outside the damned USO. Praise the Lord, Alleluia.

Attached Files

#25 magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 03:08 AM

View PostNilex, on 05 October 2020 - 04:57 PM, said:

Captured Triscene from 1st ship stage transferred over to 2nd stage, resulting in 2 live ones. Only I expected dead+live combo. Always thought all 1st stage (of any kind) captures convert to corpses by the end.
This could be TFTDextender; not sure.

#26 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 04:08 AM

I forget, but can you have two unitpos objects point to the same unitref entry? In more normal language, you would have to physical unconscious bodies pointing to the same set of unit stats? So if you were to detonate one in a remote location, the other would die with it.

This would not happen normally. But if a 3rd party tool like Extender attempts a workaround to keep the unit alive, then that would make this scenario plausible.

Also Nox - as long as they are still tasty. That is all that matters to the consumers.
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#27 magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:17 AM

View PostNKF, on 09 October 2020 - 04:08 AM, said:

I forget, but can you have two unitpos objects point to the same unitref entry? In more normal language, you would have to physical unconscious bodies pointing to the same set of unit stats? So if you were to detonate one in a remote location, the other would die with it.

This would not happen normally.
Um, it does happen normally. Large units have 1 UNITREF entry and 4 UNITPOS entries.

If it is TFTDextender, it's probably an intended feature rather than a mistake; unconscious units from the first stage getting converted into corpses is a known bug in TFTD and Tycho could well have fixed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users