7 replies to this topic

#1 Jman4117

Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:48 PM

I have a homemade antenna on my roof that's roughly 10 years old and parts are starting to degrade. One thing that didn't really exist was mainstream access to 3D printers. So right now I'm printing spare parts to rebuild my antenna.

Posted Image
That's what I've printed so far, a few things are a bit off and I'm optimizing things.

Posted Image
Currently going with this setup as my likely final product.

Posted Image
With this being an alternate design if I change out the bow-tie antenna for a Gray-Hoverman.

Posted Image
Current work in progress.
"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."
-- Krusty the Clown, "The Simpsons"

#2 Jman4117

Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:44 AM

Posted Image
Excellent :D
"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."

#3 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,100 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:17 AM

Well, Jman, that's very impressive and all, but does it print pizza? :laugh:

Those parts you've fabricated to spec do look serviceable. I take it their structural integrity is up to snuff for what they're being employed.

I suppose you'll find out soon enough. ;)

#4 Jman4117

Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:09 AM

yeah, I need to tweak things a bit. I have both 25mm aluminum tubing and 3/4in PVC pipe, both are close, but not exactly the same size :P

#5 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:34 AM

Forgive me for asking, but why not just buy some galvanized 3/4" pipe clamps from the hardware store? Those are certainly cheap enough. Is the pipe for your antenna too small? If yes, you could bend the metal clamps to fit better, then drill out one of the screw holes so that everything is tight. Or replace the pole for the antenna with new 3/4" pipe. I'd suggest galvanized conduit as that is much stronger than aluminum or PVC. My 2 cents. ;)

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#6 Jman4117

Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:41 PM

This is for insulating the elements from the mast. The plan is to end up with the 25mm aluminum nested in the top of a 1in EMT conduit. Getting roughly 19ft of mast. I'm running no reflector since I'm directly between two markets that I want, so this thing shouldn't turn into a sail. Current mast is a 3/4 pvc conduit driven into the end of the 1in EMT. PVC conduit hangers connect the elements to the mast.

Also printing out parts to allow me to stack two of what I have now down the aluminum pole, with two jumper wires bridged out away from the antenna.

Current setup is basically a copy of this guys:
Posted Image

#7 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,557 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 06:14 AM

Cool! 3D printing is definitely a concept that will have an impact on economy as a whole. With (A LOT of) time. I haven't bought one yet nor do I plan to, but things I see my neighbour print are pretty awesome. From free designs, already available on the internet... One of them is a "track guide", I'm not sure what the actual term would be - sort of tracks for managing the movement of cables of an automatic saw. Probably this would not even be available as an end product to be bought.

#8 Jman4117

Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 04:55 PM

Got all the parts made for a double stacked version of what I have now, just haven't put them up on the pole.

In the meantime I've been playing with Arduinos of various types. Mainly some Nano clones and ESP8266 and ESP32 boards.

Right now I'm working on a automatic nightlight project that switches things on/off based off of light levels instead of having to connect to the internet and get the time:

Posted Image
At this point I was doing ok, but when I flipped the board over....

Posted Image
I totally butchered it and had to stop and rethink it :P

Posted Image
Something more like this, where I hide components in the valley of the homebrew socket.

Posted Image
With the leads run around under the board to the transistor bases:

Posted Image
Such as this. Makes things WAY more compact than having to do this with jumper wires going around two separate boards.

Posted Image
Then there's power to be added. A 5v regulator powered from the same 12v power supply that will power the lights so I only need one cable to power the whole project.

Posted Image
And there's the Arduino controlling the lights through the transistors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users