Command & Conquer Redux

Welcome back Commander!

I've said in previous posts that it was X-COM and C&C that originally got me into the PC gaming. My love of video games started well before then, but it wasn't until these legendary franchises caught my attention when I was 13 and noticed C&C and X-COM next to each other at a Target store back in '96 to decide....no I wan't both of them.

Currently I have over 24 hours dedicated on Steam for this remaster. Which pales in comparison to the literal thousands of hours invested in the series before Steam existed. You know? When expansion packs weren't called "DLC". So let's cut into the meat of the subject, shall we?

The soundtrack is brilliant! Hats off to Frank Klepacki and The Tiberian Sons for a well polished remastering of songs we enjoyed in the 90's.

With several variations of older tracks, remastered implementations of many favorites such as; Act on Instinct, No Mercy, Hell March etc. Along one to choose their very own custom playlist is a not only an achievement on Steam but a great way to rock on with tunes of your choice. Industrial and Techno were all the rage back then, Klepacki clearly embraced that and made into gaming history.

Lemon Sky Studios once again did a fairly decent job at reworking the graphics. Nothing to Jeer or Cheer about.

I must admonish them for including WWE 2K20 as a right to passage on their website... That game was abysmal. Regardless...

I'll show screen shots in my next post, but I wanted to point out that this remaster is far from perfect. Stick around for more.....

-n0x

One of the first things I noticed while playing a campaign mission was the lack of numbers/totals during the debriefing menu. Notice my Purple question marks?

99qQzw.jpg

It also appears that Neutral Buildings and Civilian deaths have been removed as well. I'm not sure if this is an oversight or it was removed on purpose.

The next few screen shots are unit name changes from the original games, notice the Humm-Vee is now called a "Light Scout"

AgEwpp.png

What was originally the Apache in C&C Covert Operations for NOD has now been changed to "Attack Helicopter"

6meQTI.png

Another helicopter change is the Allied Longbow which has changed to simply "Attack Helicopter"

Lh5bjD.png

It's a nitpick, but why the changes is unknown (at least to me). Oddly enough the MiG, Yak, and Hind or any other unit (that I'm aware of) haven't changed. If anyone does know the reason please let me know.

-n0x

Yeah, n0x, Chinook also became a generic "Transport helicopter".

These naming changes have been noticed by several other people. The most likely reason has to do with the legal right to use a brand/make name, which is more strongly enforced by some property owners than others.

The game developers/publisher are now required to have explicit permission from brand owners to use those trademarked names in their products, and pay regally for the privilege of course.

All those years ago when the original games came out that didn't happen because legislation was different or simply because the gaming industry didn't have the high profile (and billions in revenue) that it now has.

Rough translation: brand name usage in games was virtually ignored or ok as free publicity before, perfectly milkable high-fat cash cows now. wink.png

Yep, after my last post I closed my browser and was looking down at my C&C manual. I thought, "Crap I missed the Chinook". Glad you pointed that out Thor, and I completely agree with your statement as to why the name changing has occurred.

Stay tuned for more later. I probably shouldn't have posted this in the AAR section, as I'm still playing through the game...I have put in (currently 45 hours) but I am keeping a folder full of thoughts, screen shots, video, etc.

-n0x