couple newbie questions

I picked up X-com complete a few months back. I've beaten Enemy Unknown, and am trying a new game of Enemy Within.

There are two things I'm not clear on.

1. Do I have unlimited reloads or is there a limit?

If say on that last mission following Zhang's storyline when I am boarding the battleship I'm in between sections where there are no aliens, should I take the opportunity to reload even if my support or sniper has only fired once, or would that be wasting my limited reloads?

2. If say three mutons are bunched up, can I have my heavy shoot them with a rocket, then have the rest of the squad gun them down and still get all the fragments, or does just wounding them with explosives destroy things?

What about if three floaters are clustered together, can I have somebody toss a (regular) grenade to weaken them down to 1 health, and then either stun them or shoot them and collect the loot, or would that grenade that only wounded them wipe out all the loot?

I've been hesitant to use grenades because of this, although that means that I keep either a scope (especially on low-ranked heavies) or arc thrower equipped instead.

EDIT: 3. I just had my first Exalt mission. Is there any advantage to Exalt weapons over standard weapons? The on-screen stats are identical. I had just manged to research laser pistols right before the mission as I went for laser canons for my craft and skeleton armor first.

4. Finally, has anybody modded Zhang's intro mission so that he keeps his pistol? I haven't been able to find such a mod. I always thought it was stupid that he tossed the pistol away. Even if it was out of ammo and used a different type of round than what X-COM uses, they could have given him one of their sidearms (which could be an interesting take, but probably not possible. Pick an assault/support/sniper to give their sidearm to Zhang)

• 1 month later...

1. Do I have unlimited reloads or is there a limit?

The ammo of main weapons and pistols are infinite. Always reload when you can.

2. If say three mutons are bunched up, can I have my heavy shoot them with a rocket, then have the rest of the squad gun them down and still get all the fragments, or does just wounding them with explosives destroy things?

You lose the fragments if the last HP is removed with explosives. And you really can't use too much explosives, especially during early game, when surviving > Items.

EDIT: 3. I just had my first Exalt mission. Is there any advantage to Exalt weapons over standard weapons? The on-screen stats are identical. I had just manged to research laser pistols right before the mission as I went for laser canons for my craft and skeleton armor first.

No difference. EXALT doesn't get scatter guns though.

4. Finally, has anybody modded Zhang's intro mission so that he keeps his pistol? I haven't been able to find such a mod. I always thought it was stupid that he tossed the pistol away. Even if it was out of ammo and used a different type of round than what X-COM uses, they could have given him one of their sidearms (which could be an interesting take, but probably not possible. Pick an assault/support/sniper to give their sidearm to Zhang)

X for doubt.