Let's Play With Dice!

Jman4117

*KLAXON SOUNDING*

ATTENTION ALL TDF FORCES

DROPSHIPS INBOUND, TARGETS PRESUMED HOSTILE.

I repeat, DROPSHIPS INBOUND!

1Pd65DZ.jpg

SCRAMBLE! SCRAMBLE!

Capellan forces are moving in on multiple attack vectors!

nFYpgY1.jpg

9u3K8qd.jpg

Defend our base in this sector at all costs!

nzuAVDi.jpg

Our Griffin and Urbanmech advance into the forest outside our base, they'll hunker down here while the Wolverine scouts out the enemy.

Kc1VYSt.jpg

The Wolverine's HUD flashes TDR as he comes into range. It's a Thunderbolt, too strong for our Wolverine, so he'll be retreating into the other patch of woods to the west.

b9ihN5O.jpg

Along the way he detects another Wolverine coming in behind the Thunderbolt.

FaMRNNJ.jpg

And an Urbanmech dashing for the same patch of woods as our Wolverine at an astonishing 32km/h!

u0L2wg5.jpg

Everyone rushes into the best cover available and prepares to engage! Our Urbie is slow and only managed to get to light woods so he's the easiest to hit. Hopefully our Wolverine that ran into high cover will be taken more seriously and they'll waste ammo on him first!

uU5TMCt.jpg

3 v 5 hit mods...I think this is where we're gonna start with the fighting! FIRE!!!!!

fsdeAAY.jpg

Both sides focus fire on the Wolverine and Urbanmech on the front line. The Urbie gives our mech an AC10 to the torso, and small laser to the leg. His friends manage to connect with a couple of medium lasers from max range also to the leg. Our side does much better and disarms that damned AC10!

V6gD03H.jpg

The enemy Wolverine moves in to get a better shot since most of his weapons are at a disadvantage. The Thunderbolt hangs back to drop LRMs on us.

QWhW7Yx.jpg

Our Wolverine turns to face the greater threat after our fire support team promises they'll get him next time!

hilMmQI.jpg

ez5fgQs.jpg

Everyone focuses on our Wolverine, several medium lasers connect and nearly kill him. He's doing to just his center torso and the medium laser on the head.

k1IMAjY.jpg

dXhAZyZ.jpg

That little orange die is all he has left! Meanwhile our Urbie and Griffin continue to give them hell!

lRsymsC.jpg

The Griffin runs to the right and attempts to flank the incoming mechs while our Urbanmech continues sniping at the other Urbie behind our Wolverine.

8j0n0zO.jpg

Two large laser strikes from our Urbanmech finish ripping theirs apart. It's now immobile and armed with a weapon that can only fire 3 hexes. Unfortunately our Wolverine fell to the other two enemy mechs:

7zxRCsd.jpg

Can't really argue with 12s on a large laser and an LRM 15! Our pilot is now a pink paste on the inside of his cockpit! Time for revenge!

vGjFM4f.jpg

Wolverine incomine! I need backup!

j8SH61b.jpg

The Griffin comes back from taking ranged pot shots and gets at minimum PPC range and lets loose with EVERYTHING he's got.

7CK20Wy.jpg

The Wolvie has been trying to take out that main gun out our Urbanmech, but ours has been modded to have more than just a small laser on the off-side! 2 medium lasers continue to rip him to hell!

HvQ9Aho.jpg

Our Urbie managed to drop him, but the final shots from the Wolverine bring him down with him.

PKHK1LW.jpg

Guess it's gonna come down to a Griffin battling a Thunderbolt!

QzKIf4w.jpg

The Thunderbolt fires off everything he's got, but only the LRM and Large Laser connect. 8 damage to the center torso but most of those LRMs missed!

pJnNq2F.jpg

We return fire on the already heavily damaged mech. Medium laser to the chest!

dOqIMrh.jpg

BOOM! Mech destroyed!

hwWmZ8W.jpg

The Capellan mech falls to the ground as all it's weapons miss and the pilot ejects!

xZTvrwQ.jpg

Our Griffin is the last mech standing, aside from that crippled, disarmed Urbanmech we'll be salvaging.

h2FsvaW.jpg

We've taken minimal damage to this mech but our Wolverine is a total loss and our Urbie is barely salvageable.

• 4 weeks later...

"Salvage here, we got blips on radar moving in on our position from the north. Are they ours?"

"Negative, you should have a Hunch and Urbie moving up to secure your location from the south"

"Roger, buggin' out without the cargo!"

EIys0cv.jpg

MwRHV1p.jpg

"Security team on site, we got scavengers probing the perimeter"

pHlcDgw.jpg

"Two Capellan lights, looks like Jenner and a...Toro?"

"Where'd they get that?"

6a7jBXi.jpg

The Jenner is scouting the downed mech, the Toro is holed up in the woods so he can range us!

FWFIRtl.jpg

"Opening fire!....Damn, missed!"

36cMfZi.jpg

"Incoming LRMS!"

V3KZhNx.jpg

"Dammit!"

"Hunch you there? Respond!?!"

ezITb7G.jpg

"I'm up, 5 of them just smacked into my cockpit"

"That Jenner is exploiting the chaos to flank us!"

9c5E94m.jpg

"Engaging Toro!"

Pyfn7ch.jpg

"See you in hell, Capellan!"

qoZd2gD.jpg

3 CT hits, enough to core the mech!

JootiSX.jpg

Our Hunchback rushed in too close for the Toro to fire its PPC and LRMs, so he can only target our Urbie. One LRM-5 connects, center torso, minimal damage.

wGidd7x.jpg

The real threat is that Jenner that managed to close in behind us while we were dealing with the Toro...

5LNVukH.jpg

PEW!!! WOOSH!!!!!! The Jenner opens up with it's 4 medium lasers and SRM4. Luckily only one laser and missile connect.

LNf11Ol.jpg

The laser strikes the back and a missile strikes the leg, but nothing this little guy can't handle.

z9WonlB.jpg

The Capellans don't win initiative so the Jenner runs flat out into the forest to stack up those modifiers..

9srJPUq.jpg

Which causes our Hunchback to miss with everything!

Yt8dIez.jpg

The Urbie is more lucky and manages to snipe the Jenner from range! It was exactly 8 damage, so the weapons are still there, but it's a start!

QRrXHeW.jpg

The Capellan mech fires back with everything on the Hunchback.

ynD0eeq.jpg

3 lasers and a missile connect. Left arm and left leg, but this is a Hunchback, all the cool stuff is on the right shoulder!

M92zW4C.jpg

This time the Jenner gets initiative. So our mechs back up as much as they can with the Urbie taking the dense forest. The Jenner then runs in behind the Urbie and bears down on the Hunchback's left side.

The full game? About an hour per mech on each side.

The simplified version we're playing? About half that.

The handful of dice really speeds it up over the standard rules of just using a single pair of dice and rolling it over and over and repeatedly consulting tables for missiles and things. :P

M92zW4C.jpg

Our Hunchback turns to the left and fires his left arm mounted laser. MISS!

q28vu4o.jpg

The Jenner is considerably more accurate with is return fire!

GXth8jN.jpg

The side of our mech gets peppered with weapons fire!

uA6Qh3Z.jpg

The Jenner loses initiative and darts back into cover with our mechs in hot pursuit!

OA79SmT.jpg

We needed a nine somewhere in that mass of 8 yellow dice...none were had!

cKuH1Il.jpg

The Jenner on the other hand didn't need a nine, only a five and somehow only 3 weapons got that high. They strike the Urbie center torso and right arm.

DoNCVhY.jpg

The Jenner again flees into cover unable to exploit initiative to get behind us.

v2Q0SK4.jpg

Our Hunchback miraculously connects with 5 lasers and send that Capellan to hell! There's a cascade of explosions as the damage moves from the right leg, to the right torso, then center completely destroying the mech. There's literally only a left foot left laying on the battlefield, the rest is just gone!

t96wv27.jpg

Our Hunchback is shot to hell from the exchange with the Jenner, but will still be able to keep up with the Urbie that took minimal damage.

Recap:

Hunchback HBK-4P (Nominal)

Urbanmech UM-R60M (Nominal)

Jenner JR7-D (Destroyed)

Toro TR-A-6 (Salvaged)

Mission Objective:

Urbanmech UM-R60 (Salvaged)

Our recovery mission was successful.

laa54Hv.jpg

dLcti3t.jpg

Our Hunchback and Urbanmech took light damage.

bKPyajr.jpg

In the process we took down a Toro with minimal damage. Should just be engine damage and probably heatsinks. That expensive PPC in the arm is fully intact. Hopefully we can repair it and get it back into the fight on the correct side.

VLsgneq.jpg

Unfortunately, that Jenner was a total loss. It's a great mech, shame to lose it.

Today's op is a raid mission. A Capellan dropship is landed in the desert near your last deployment zone. We're sending you in to destroy it. Any Cappy mechs you can take out are gravy, but aren't required for success. Taking out that dropship will prevent them from bringing in more reinforcements.

mmQpBC3.jpg

A Comstar gifted mech is being sent forward to reinforce the remnants of your lance for the battle. This is a downgraded Crab, not the fancy one, but it's what we have in the area.

"Sir, I've got 3 contacts!!"

1WUF2cM.jpg

"I've got a visual. It's a Catapult, a Hunchback and an unknown light. They are guarding a Leopard dropship."

"Acknowledged. There a 4th mech?"

"Negative"

"Keep your eyes peeled"

NcxZvDB.jpg

Our lance moves through the forests while that light moves into the edge of the lake.

V6zzG1W.jpg

The Catapult hangs back with his Hunchback bodyguard.

FeGewM6.jpg

The Catapult begins raining down LRMs, 10 of which hit our Hunchback.

PJB8IxV.jpg

Right leg, center torso.

oodsMEi.jpg

Our lance gets into heavy woods, making them harder to hit. That light is still approaching...for some reason.

2HMXQXF.jpg

The Catapult also comes into the water...Likely to assist it cooling down.

93w14eu.jpg

Our Hunchback fires a barrage of medium lasers. 2 hit!

5hu0gEG.jpg

"Headshot!"

The Comstar loaner mech scans the new light. It's in their databases as a "Raven", apparently a new scout unit they are fielding.

NAmXAA6.jpg

The Raven returns fire. Nearly everything it's got hits!

eAB81nW.jpg

She packs a punch with that SRM6, but all the damage is scattered across our mech.

1aXkAHO.jpg

The Crab fires and blows the left arm off, but nothing important is there so it's still go all its weapons!

bfwhaTe.jpg

"Incoming!"

2 more flights of LRMs hit our Hunchback in the right torso and arm.

NVvvgOi.jpg

Our Urbie fires off everything, and everything misses!

We pick up comms chatter as the Raven retreats to regroup with his buddies.

lysDODO.jpg

The enemy Hunchback approaches to bail out the Raven while the Catapult rains down LRM fire on us.

0k77vTJ.jpg

All 3 of our mechs focus on the Hunchback trying to bring him down. Our shots scatter peppering the target.

eJHpytI.jpg

The Catapult targets our Urbie, 1 flight of missiles hit. An AC/20 round screams past the Crab but misses!

fXOPuG2.jpg

Our Urbie fires on the Hunchback, all shots connecting, blowing the left arm off!

8jxGNEw.jpg

The Hunchback targets the Crab again. This time, the AC/20 doesn't miss. In fact, it's a critical hit. The round finds a weak point in the armor and completely blows out the right torso, and a cascade of explosions blow out the reactor.

Pq8ikzd.jpg

Our pilot ejects as the mech unleashes a hail of lasers!

XyXyj7T.jpg

The wreckage of the Crab drops to the ground in a heap.

I feel like I was in the middle of giant mech battle, which I stumbled into completely by mistake - I don't understand anything but there are explosions and twisting metal everywhere I look! AAAAAA!

I see the terrain has value, too. What of a factor do levels play?

Levels you can hide behind, think it's +1 for a level 1 cliff in front of you. Higher and you'd be invisible. Same goes with standing in level 1 water. Level 2 or more makes you invisible. In my case my guys were in heavy woods on a cliff overlooking people behind trees. So basically I could shoot over the trees, but that Catapult still had to deal with my +2 from actually being in the forest and not just being behind them. Which would give it only a +1 on the LRM for indirect fire. Would have been better for me to hide from that Hunchback though, since it had an AC/20 that was hitting me in heavy woods and all.. :P

LgwleF7.jpg

An 8 and a 9...just enough to hit...f**k! The right torso and most of the center are blown out. The right arm flies off since the torso is shot out. And since we're in a Hunchback, 7/8 of our firepower is gone after this turn...

NwG19ec.jpg

Well we needed a 9 in that pile of dice.. NONE HIT! So we're down to that one medium laser on the left arm. The rest is gone!

Uv7G4bv.jpg

The Raven opens up on us as well smelling blood in the water and gets us down to 2 armor bubbles.

ZN37qTD.jpg

The Catapult also gets lucky and actually lands all 30 LRMs on us. One flight of missiles hits the center torso and finishes us off.

XC5IwTf.jpg

"We need evac!"

rZMeksZ.jpg

Our Urbanmech runs off the table at flank speed! We're not going to win this battle. As good as an Urbie is and all, this fight just isn't winnable! He turns to the left extending the arm back and firing his lasers, they miss every time!

fmm4G1b.jpg

This shows the main advantage of the AC/20 version of the Hunchback compared to our 8x medium laser version. That 20 is going to hit one part and not scatter like our cluster of 6 lasers that replace it. Even though we could in theory make 10 more damage a turn, it's scattered around more.

aATq2qT.jpg

We did light damage to the Raven, and a great deal to the Hunchback, but we basically hit it everywhere but the right torso that we needed to put her down.

syqCFTN.jpg

The Catapult and transport we were tasked with taking out took no damage at all. We really need to steal some fire support platforms, our laser boats suck for this! Next time we should have that Toro repaired and back in the fight for the Concordat!