Missile Evasion Matrix

magic9mushroom

I don't have the same level knowledge of this game as I do with the earlier two games, so cannot confirm anything. I will however offer the theory that if the evasion matrix has an effect, then its effects are small enough that they are barely perceptible.

Jamming effect likely has an influence on missile turning rates. How much, I don't know. But let's say it is percentage based. An evasion matrix would reduce a Janitor Missile's 24 to 19 while a cloaking device would reduce it to 4.8.

Assuming the jamming effect activates within a certain radius of the craft, the effect of a 24 dipping to 19 may not make a great deal of difference at such close range.

The Official Strategy Guide by David Ellis mentions that the Missile Evasion Matrix jams approximately 60% of enemy missiles. I'm unsure why he used the word approximately to describe the jamming rate but it is what it is. Whether it actually functions in-game is a good question. I seem to recall that the coding for it is functional but can't remember if it was disabled elsewhere (don't think it was). Damn, where's j'ordos when you really need him? ;)

- Zombie

I don't have the same level knowledge of this game as I do with the earlier two games, so cannot confirm anything. I will however offer the theory that if the evasion matrix has an effect, then its effects are small enough that they are barely perceptible.

Jamming effect likely has an influence on missile turning rates. How much, I don't know. But let's say it is percentage based. An evasion matrix would reduce a Janitor Missile's 24 to 19 while a cloaking device would reduce it to 4.8.

Assuming the jamming effect activates within a certain radius of the craft, the effect of a 24 dipping to 19 may not make a great deal of difference at such close range.

I know what the Cloaking Field does. It makes missiles targetting the craft not turn at all while the ship is visibly cloaked. They appear to turn at the normal rate while it's visible (the cloaking drops for a short time after a craft fires weapons).

My own tests (based on telling craft to shoot each other) haven't shown any effect from the Missile Evasion Matrix, but without code access I can't verify whether there's something beyond my sensitivity of measurement.