Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:45 AM

If this is accurate...

we ARE.

Seriously, prepare for the worst, most of all how to survive with energy shortages.

#2 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,460 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:35 PM

It's true. There's not that much hope of averting it.

I'm not being ironic.

The main reason is a coupling of sorts: of natural human inertia, and motivation for action today being driven only by capital, or panic.

Regrettably, it will come down to panic. Only when people feel the fear for themselves, in their homes, in their family, will the heat be turned upon their governments in a way that can't be set aside.

Some point will be reached when it's not possible to pretend anymore: a drought comes and you see dams go empty, you have to face water rationing. Heat waves cause forest fires, your house risks burning down, soils erode paving the way for floods, trees take decades to grow back.

Nature has its own timings. We've bent them far and wide. But biology has its limits and there's no arguing with those. You have to wait for regeneration, you have to wait for growth and healing. And when there is a waiting that must be endured (say, stomachs will hunger) then some changes start to have to happen.

So, until you're the animal again, so to speak, and we discover ourselves strangely an integral part of that basic, seemingly abstract reality, of what we call 'nature', chances are the treadmill of daily life will not halt and we won't be stopped in our tracks, which, extrapolated, means that, as societies, we will not take action - until very strongly motivated.

Only when we're forced to acknowledge things have broken down in a continued, life-threatening way, will there be effective action.

While we're on the subject of general human psychology and touching on that inertia business, have you ever heard of The Bystander Effect or Diffusion of Responsibility? It's a weird thing that mostly boils down to a standard sort of behavior: the greater the number of people observing an emergency the less likely they are to help.

Check out this article if you want to gain some further insight.

Overall, we delegate on the powers that be, in a given context or environment. They're supposed to be minding these things for us after all. Only they aren't. They have other (often selfish) priorities to be put first, and so do we. So, little me, what can I do? I can't afford to buy an electric car, or solar panels, which would likely be the most impactful thing to individually do and have replicated. As mentioned in your video, strive for more but your efforts by yourself still won't suffice to turn things around. Collective push is needed.

And here we are back to what I posited above - it's the slow roast. Until you confront imminent panic.

Not to be gloomy or anything. This is how it is however.

It's possible to resort to science but unless we have a considerable breakthrough that speeds things up to deliver a solution, namely in the nanotechnology field (example article), chances are some hardships are indeed headed our way.

We'll have no other choice than to deal with them.

#3 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:25 AM

View PostThorondor, on 20 August 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

Not to be gloomy or anything. This is how it is however.

I agree completely. I only fear we have no idea whatsoever how far-reaching the changes will be.

We both dodged the end result in previous posts but if we are to tell the whole story... Lack of drinkable water, energy and plain living space can only lead to one thing and that is war. The only hope for humanity may be that there will be no nuclear option or even the liveable leftovers will be contaminated for centuries, more or less killing us off.

IMO there is VERY LITTLE leeway to prevent global war. Look at the current state - when all countries should be giving whatever green technologies they have for free, in hope anyone uses them, and a huge influx into developing new techs that might have saved us should be flowing... we have Trump bidding for Greenland.

We're royally screwed.

#4 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,460 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:29 PM

The outcomes you touch upon, SV, are very much the ones that are bound to be on the table. Unfortunately.

Priorities will be shifted, yet, possibly not beneficially. Abundance breeds complacency, scarcity begets ruthlessness.

In the animal kingdom that's what is observed. The one thing that should separate humans from the rest - foresight - is being negated by (when we get right down to it) greediness and the unwillingness to even slow relentless growth of capital.

Capital is and will continue to be the undisputed power, until that very extreme nobody wants to contemplate somehow at last enters the realm of the possible: the unthinkable stage when the remaining few finally no longer accept to exchange food they grow or their water for slips of paper or round pieces of metal.

Then, regression, survival of the fittest - as long as I can take I shall not lack.

What will we come to indeed. Some glimpsed it already in the 70's...

Meanwhile, those making today's decisions, upon gleaming towers of glass, find it's better to let someone else fall behind in the rat race. Let others spend the resources and lose the time to try and find solutions to silly problems (that don't align with exponential wealth increase). When exits present themselves it's a matter of buying the fruits of others' labours.

The Information Age, once bearing great promise, is now really the Disinformation Age (example) and they're getting better at it all the time. It suffices not that our bodies are poisoned piecemeal alongside the planet, now too the minds of older and younger alike are ripe for polluting.

How will we be able to tell what's true or not as it marches across the glare of screens everywhere? When everything can be twisted where can your trust reside? Will the newer generations know better, or know no better?

As you mention yourself, leadership in key countries today, like the USA, UK, Brazil, is woefully unsuited to the task at hand. Almost the exact opposite of what is needed in effect. Good leadership, regardless of ideological leaning, seems quite scarce around the globe.

Even then, this too speaks poorly of the rest of us, seeing as majorities among us, in the supposedly developed world, had the questionable judgement of placing those who are now in the seats of power up there, choosing the very fates our children will have to endure.

Movie wisdom. How about that?

Maybe we'll get lucky and things get worse sooner, paradoxically for our benefit, before the point of no return.

#5 ñΩxicity

ñΩxicity

Resident Åsshole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:02 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=jRg256BzhJw

Yes.
"If you win it's just a game, but if you lose it's a complete waste of time"

-Al Bundy (Married With Children)

#6 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,460 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:34 AM

Here's a blog post by Mr. Cliff Harris (of Positech Games, developer of Gratuitous Space Battles, etc.) that shows similar awareness of the serious issues we are bound to be facing before long.

#7 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:10 AM

Well written.

#8 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,460 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:30 PM

And the "good prospects" keep rolling in... Posted Image

#9 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:39 AM

Oh goodie.

Unless we do something about our numbers... we'll do it the hard way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users