Jagged Alliance Rage

After all the years of new developers and publishers we finally get a successor to Jagged Alliance 2!

Finally we get back to the roots of one of the best turn-based game franchises ever made!

Wait a second....Where's my laptop? Where's A.I.M.? Custom Characters? Oh fuck here we go again....

Jagged Alliance Rage, a game with a new developer, a new publisher, A New Hope....?

Nope, we get a half-assed attempt at "maybe this time...." kind of unproductive nostalgia.

Summary

Moronic A.I., Voice acting is shit, RPG elements completely stripped. Bugs aplenty, despite the patch (which I doubt there'll be many).

The "maps" aren't very engaging or large. The music, is "meh" and the graphics are a nice touch.

Unless this game series is purchased and rebooted by a competent developer/publisher, buy at your own risk.

I find it strange that a company would purchase the rights to a game series only to produce such a piece of shit product.

3.5 out of 10.

-NoX

Looks like the name at least befits the game, as it has succeeded in enraging its players. wink.png

In a way, welcome to the future, NoX - one where developers can either shoot for the moon throwing in just about every popular feature under the sun or find themselves having to settle for whatever they can get out the door when deadlines are hit.

It's unfortunate how things seem to have devolved into a dead end for Jagged Alliance.

Still, there are, as ever, diehard fans that make great efforts modding JA2 back to a semblance of modernity. I've come across an article about this just a few days ago over at RPS, actually.

While there is life there is hope!

Thanks for the link Thor, I added it to my bookmarks.

If a publisher can reboot X-COM, is that the exception or the rule? I think it boils down to communication between publisher and developer. It seems like the developers that have a vision to make a great game and a publisher who isn't forcing a deadline make a compatible team. I could go on for hours about this subject, my favorite being Fallout 2 and the amount of content they originally planned in the final release.

I'm almost tempted to poll people. "What game sequels were better than the original?" There's probably dozens of Youtube videos.

-NoX