Soldiers not doing what you tell them to

magic9mushroom

So I've had this situation several times now. I get a bunch of soldiers outside a UFO, position them in a nice neat line, kneel, and wait for the aliens.

And then they GET UP AND MOVE AROUND AT RANDOM, walking into each other's line of fire, pointing themselves the wrong way, etc. And I know the original waypoint was set properly, because they keep returning to it. It's not panic, either.

It's driving me batty. If I lose a soldier because I fucked up or got unlucky, that's one thing. If I lose a soldier because they DIDN'T DO WHAT I TOLD THEM TO DO, that's just fucking bullshit. That's not difficulty, that's the game being fucking stupid.

God, I wish my soldiers would fucking stay where I fucking put them. The "move to better location" algorithm is a neat idea in theory, but without a way to disable it it removes control from the player.

Any ways known to fix this (besides "switch to turn-based", obviously)? Anybody else want to vent?

It was never completed and is very rough around the edges, but refer to: https://www.ufopaedi...ls_(Apocalypse)

The manual might not cover everything. Or if it does, it's deep in there somewhere.

- NKF

edit:

I was just skimming through the manual and realised that I usually go right to the control references at the end. There are a lot of useful tidbits hidden throughout the manual for things that aren't immediately obvious in-game.