Alien Base Assaults - spawn points

magic9mushroom

I learned something today. What I learned was that alien bases only have 22 X-Com spawn points (nine on the top level of the entry room, and two on the bottom), so if you bring more units than that (only possible with an Avenger and less than two HWPs), you'll find your last few soldiers planted deep in the base on alien spawn points. This is the inverse of what happens in Base Defences if you don't have enough Hangars, with aliens spawning deep in the base on X-Com spawn points.

Didn't see any note about it on UFOpaedia, so I'm thinking of adding it.

Ha, useful after getting mind control... I'm not sure whether I've ever seen this happen (been decades) but if your soldiers spawn on alien spawn points you'll see them instantly, right?

Well, alien bases have a LOT of alien spawn points, so you might not see many (one of my soldiers spotted two Snakemen and one spawned three steps from a Chryssalid, but the other two "advance squad" didn't see any). But yes, it does mean extra sets of eyes in locations you otherwise wouldn't have access to.

This happens quite a bit in TFTD colony raids where you enter the second phase only to have some of your troops start deep within the colony.

- NKF

Ah, perhaps this is where I remember it from - I'd be surprised if I ever took 22+ soldiers on a mission...

What do you mean by "deep within the colony", NKF? On lower levels of the entry module, or in other modules entirely? I've only had the first one, though admittedly I didn't go back to the colonies after getting the Leviathan.

(Also, could it be from neutral spawn points rather than an overflow per se? I've heard of aliens spawning on neutral spawn points even if there are enough alien ones in Floating Base Attacks.)