408 replies to this topic

#401 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,228 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 03:19 PM

If you want your place lively, not dead, you want Zombie at the project's head! Posted Image

Oh, brother, talk about sealing the deal there. No bridge too far, no gap too wide. Well, it's all about as much to code now as it ever was.

You know I agree with you that more was to be gained by holding off a bit longer and seeing to more things (like that cracked window pane in the garage) but I guess there's some merit to the popular saying: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Posted Image

Meanwhile, not a soul can say you didn't go above and beyond on this job. Killer beetles and all... Posted Image

Posted Image

#402 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 03:19 AM

So I took some pics of the house after work today. Let's start outdoors with the West side.

DSC00044JPG.jpg

Very nice. The only thing I could see doing is adding another coat of paint to the fascia to the left of the window as my red primer spots are still peeking through a little bit.

On to the inside of the garage, first the West.

DSC00045JPG.jpg

I assure you, the same glass window is in the frame, but now it's actually completely clear. I think that really made a positive difference on how it looks on the inside. The crack in the glass is hardly noticeable from a couple feet away. Here's the North.

DSC00046JPG.jpg

To the left is the coax and phone lines I carefully arranged and stapled to the wall. If this would be my garage I'd either cover over the wires with a half piece of PVC pipe and paint that to match the wall or I'd try to fish the lines down through the wall. I guess I could paint the wires which might still happen, but at least it looks neat. (Just to note, there is a hatch to the attic on the ceiling and if memory serves, I painted the date on the inside frame in the early 90's - might have to add to that and take a pic of that). To the bottom is the rusty vent cover which I painted a couple coats on. And of course next to the door is the garage door opener and cleaned outlet and switch (I'll see about getting a pic of this too). Can't forget about the East and my quick fix.

DSC00047JPG.jpg DSC00048JPG.jpg

I guess the thing to point out on the East wall is that I don't see any big imperfections on it anywhere even with a satin finish. The kickplate isn't the exact size of the existing one, but hey, at least it's close and present. And the fix doesn't stick out too much now that it's the same color (the photo looks lighter but I think that was caused by the flash and the light being reflected off the sheen). And the big thing is that it smells fresh in there from the paint. Psychologically, it probably makes you think it's new. ;)

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#403 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,228 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 03:00 PM

If it even smells like new, you'll know it's true - Zombie did it for you! :cool:

Very nice indeed overall. And I can just barely see the crack in the glass window in your photo. Plus, it has to be said you've done a bang-up job "reconstructing" that East wall.

I guess I'd settle for painting the coax and phone lines in the wall as that would render them rather invisible instead of sticking out in casual glances.

It's really all in the mind's eye as it were anyway, right? ;)

#404 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:01 AM

Some dread the zombie apocalypse, but we at StrategyCore know that when it happens, all built structures will be kept in perfect order. Erm, and plants will be looked after. :D

Great job, the buyer will get much more than what he paid for.

#405 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 02:49 AM

I wasn't able to get over to the house this week unfortunately. On Tues I had a little time at the shop so I cleaned the workbench in the backroom as it was in a constant state of disarray since I started work on the greenhouse. You know, half-started projects, random hardware, things I didn't have time to put away etc. It all adds up. Once I got all the stuff put away I cleaned the surface with some soap solution and a scrub brush. Wouldn't you know it, but the scrub brush somehow was able to lift up some loose flaps of clear polyurethane. After I dried the surface off I investigated and found that some areas still had that gloss finish underneath. Guess I forgot to sand before applying the final coat. So I scraped off all the loose flakes and sanded everything down.

DSC00049JPG.jpg

Got out the marine polyurethane and found it didn't have a skin at the surface which surprised the heck out of me. Brushed on one heavy coat.

DSC00050JPG.jpg

Better. I felt some rough spots due to air bubbles or the finish underneath after it dried so I sanded it down again. It's currently waiting on a final coat. Once I get done with that it'll be ready for the (hopefully) busy holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas and Valentines day). The long table in the backroom also needs a refresher coat of paint on it as there are a couple of chips in the surface and primer spots. Might be able to get to that eventually. ;)

So, yeah, I do tackle projects at the store when I have the time to spare. :)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,

#406 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:57 AM

I was finally able to put on another coat of clear polyurethane on the workbench in the backroom a couple days ago. Looks better again and should hold up for a while. :)

DSC00051JPG.jpg

No more work at the house as tomorrow it officially changes ownership. There was a couple spots I wanted to touch up but the weather just didn't cooperate much. There were only a couple days in December which were fair enough to tackle something during the day but the trouble is that the weather doesn't stay the same at night and you need time for paint/caulk to cure properly. Basically you are limited by how warm it is and how long it lasts. I counted up the hours I worked there and it was right around the 40 hour mark. Wasn't a ton of time overall as I wasn't spending full days working there - just a couple days a week for a few hours at a clip. ;)

Other than that, not much else is new except I put those plywood pads underneath the table legs outside on Monday (check my post on October 9 for the particulars). I also cleaned up the greenhouse yesterday. It was kind of a mess from the pine needles from wreaths and garland and leaves. Not a day too soon as we had some snow today. I have no idea if the paint I ordered a couple weeks ago arrived as nobody called. I might have to stop over there to find out what's going on. I basically used up my stockpile of primer at the store for the house instead and I need to replenish that.

Might be changing over the fluorescent tube fixtures in the store over to LED next year. I watched a few videos on how to do that and it's not too bad except I have to work on rewiring the fixtures in-place on the ceiling. Not ideal, but it is what it is. I want to do a trial run of a couple fixtures just to see if there are any surprises that await (what materials do I need to have, what can I get to make the job to go quicker etc). For instance, if I use up a wire nut on a single fixture then I'll need to multiply that by the number of fixtures to know how many I'll need (we have quite a few fixtures so it can be significant quantity). The fixtures in the store have light diffusing coverings so I can get by with clear LED tubes there, but there are some fixtures where the women work where there are no diffusing coverings so we'd need frosted bulbs so it isn't too glaring and bright. In the backroom we have some 8 foot fixtures. I can get 8 foot LED replacement tubes but they are pricey. Is it cheaper to get 2 - 4 foot LED shop lights instead of trying to replace the bulbs? Maybe. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#407 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,228 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:16 PM

Trusty old backroom workbench still deserves your loving attention I see, Zombie. Even scratches get preserved under the new glossy finish! Posted Image

About time you wrapped things up at the old boss's house too. Talk about generosity with your time and even the store's own paint supplies Posted Image - must have been a pretty good sell to be worth the extra pampering.

On the other hand, you're right indeed in seeking savings by going the way of the LED. It's going to take a little bit of doing that rewiring so it's good you're taking your time with research / prep work.

Just don't let yourself be tempted by the cheaper LED tubes because you can end up going through a bunch of those in a hurry if you're not careful.

So, may you find the light in 2021. Posted Image

#408 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 04:11 AM

View PostThorondor, on 18 December 2020 - 08:16 PM, said:

On the other hand, you're right indeed in seeking savings by going the way of the LED. It's going to take a little bit of doing that rewiring so it's good you're taking your time with research / prep work.

We have so many fluorescent lights that are burnt out right now that we are actually saving energy that way, lol. Yeah, I mentioned we were thinking of replacing the bulbs back in March/April/May/June but that kind of fell by the wayside. I can only pester the powers that be so much. Kinda glad we waited though as this forces our hand. It needs to be done anyway and it makes sense to be putting the money into something which will actually save money and energy.:)

I think I mentioned I replaced the 200W light bulb in the back cooler with a LED a while back. Well, we have a 200W incandescent in the front cooler too and since this new LED seems to be working out fine (with the high humidity and cold temps) I got another bulb to replace the one in the front once it burns out (should be any day now). Also got a couple 100W equivalent LEDs to replace a couple lights around the back cooler (neither have burnt out yet, but one fixture is non-functional). We recently purchased and installed a 150W equivalent CFL in the rafters above the door to the back cooler. It wasn't cheap, so I'm hesitant to swap over to LED for that one  Maybe if we can find a LED bulb that fits and has the same equivalent lumens I'll be persuaded.

Haven't had much time to poke around in any of the fixtures out front to see what is involved and what items we'd need. Hopefully the beginning of the new year will bring quieter times to get the ball rolling.

View PostThorondor, on 18 December 2020 - 08:16 PM, said:

Just don't let yourself be tempted by the cheaper LED tubes because you can end up going through a bunch of those in a hurry if you're not careful.

Aren't all LEDs manufactured in China anyway? Posted Image Nah, we'll be going through one of the local electrical supply companies to get the bulbs for us. They of all people should know which ones are better. Plus they will be able to source the full quantity instead of clearing the marketplace. There would be no way I'd just purchase some cheap ones online, install them and find out they last only a little while.Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#409 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,228 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 12:15 PM

All well and good planning, Zombie. Let's see how it all holds up when implemented in full in reality.

Speaking of which, how about a sprinkling of magic: does the store get any Christmas lighting by your hand? ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users