#41 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:43 AM

View PostSpace Voyager, on 01 August 2018 - 06:50 AM, said:

Ha, great work on that hanging! I usually take the risk of sticking and reduce it by letting stuff dry over... can't find the expression... drying stands?

Sawhorse? Not sure if that's the word you were looking for. Well, if you can't hang something up to dry there aren't many options available to prevent the item from sticking. If it has 4 sides you can paint three of the sides, let them dry, then paint the last side. Gotta be careful with this because even a drop of paint which runs down the last side will cause sticking. Another way would be to place the item on something like a "bed" of nails. The fewer the nails the better. Then you'll only have to worry about those sharp poky bits jabbing into the item. It's viable though. ;)

I guess I've been neglecting this topic a little. However I was able to scrape a little more on the smaller garage door, sand the bare spots and then put on a coat of boiled linseed oil+turpentine+paint thinner (1:1:1 mix). Really you are supposed to only use 1 part linseed to 2 parts thinner, but I have the terps and it was cheaper than thinner so... Posted Image That really soaked in well on the bare spots, and it even dried on the painted spots since it was in the sun. I still had time so I was able to prime all the treated areas with that brown oil primer.

2018-07-30 144504.jpg

That oil primer dries pretty fast as well, it was good to go in about 30 minutes (again, it helped that the sun was beating down on it). Since it was dry enough, I decided to caulk all the panels.

2018-07-30 165004.jpg

I used up the last of the tan caulk, then switched over to a cedar colored caulk which matched the paint scheme even more. Took this pic when the sun hid behind some clouds for a few seconds - got lucky. So now the outside of that door is done (in terms of preparation). But there's still the outside of the big door to contend with. It's not too bad, but there are some rotten bits of panel to address. I fooled around with that today. Scraped, sanded, applied a linseed oil coat to the bare spots and finally primed,

rsz_2018-08-01_172052.jpg

I actually said to myself "Looks pretty!" after taking that pic (except for those white spots which is seagull poop, yuk). Posted Image As you can see, the bottom two rows were the worst, due to rain and snow beating against it. The lowest row had some rotten areas where the bottom of the panel meets the frame. I piled on a nice heavy coat of linseed oil on those spots and didn't skimp on the primer either. Something else needs to be done to harden those areas. Not sure what I'm going to use there, maybe water putty or Bondo. Posted Image

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#42 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,112 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:44 PM

You've made some definite progress on both doors, Zombie.

Lots to tend to but you clearly paid due attention to just about all the trouble spots.

The degraded wood in the panels is a whole other ballgame, but, yeah, special putty is what comes to mind for restoration. Shouldn't entail much sculpting and you can always sand away any imperfections once the stuff dries.

Beware those winged bombers though - their precision discharges are about the worst thing that can happen to a paint job. :P

#43 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:44 AM

View PostThorondor, on 02 August 2018 - 01:44 PM, said:

Beware those winged bombers though - their precision discharges are about the worst thing that can happen to a paint job. Posted Image

I have a red vehicle and I swear the darn gulls aim for it on purpose. Last year one of them made a perfect bullseye in the middle of the hood. When I got home, I washed off the poo and it actually ate through the wax and clear coat - right down to the paint. Paint stripper poo? Posted Image

No time like the present to paint, the weather was a little humid and warm, but there was a nice breeze going. Since the outside of the smaller door is ready for a top coat, I decided I'll work on painting the inside because the molding around the window needed primer yet. So yeah, had to take off the temporary muntin bars off and remove the panes again. Then it was just the matter of carefully priming the raw wood without leaving too many drips. Turned out good - nice and smooth:

2018-08-03 172012.jpg

The primer would dry quick enough with the panes off and a nice breeze blowing across it, so I got the paint ready for the inside. Poured about a quart of that semi-gloss exterior white in a roller pan and added a little latex paint additive and stirred that up good. I had a choice between rollers, I ended up picking a foam roller cover as it was the smoothest. I was secretly hoping for a pretty reflective finish but was a bit dismayed to see the foam roller was leaving a "dimpled" finish. But the finish actually grew on me as I went along and I was happy because it wasn't so over-the-top glossy. Here's the top panels (which were fully primed):

2018-08-03 173742.jpg

Not bad, it might be a little weak in some spots but I can put on another coat. Then it was on to the bottom panels. The paint wasn't hiding much with a normal coat, so I really had to pile it on thick. After I got done with the last one, I went back and put on another light coat since it was almost dry. That helped even out the finish over the entire door. A shot of the lower panels:

2018-08-03 174006.jpg

As you might be able to see, the finish is a little hazy at the bottom. But I think it'll be fine with another coat. I only used up maybe 3/4 of a quart of paint so I have plenty left. Because of the issues with coverage, I'm going to fully prime the back (larger) garage door. I initially thought that I wouldn't have any trouble covering the unprimed areas because the color was close and I'm using an excellent paint, but alas I keep forgetting semi-gloss is not very forgiving. In hindsight I probably should have used an eggshell finish (eggshell is between flat and semi-gloss) but it's not the end of the world. At least I didn't get a full gloss... that would have been a nightmare. :D

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,

#44 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,112 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:03 PM

Not bad at all, those panels, Zombie.

There's nothing offensive about how your mix turned out, aided by the extra coating - the white has just enough of a touch of gloss now.

The thought about an eggshell finish... mind what you wish for; them gulls may be listening and decide you had criminal intent! ;)

#45 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:46 AM

Yes, sawhorse it is! It is called koza (a goat) in Slovenian... I was not at home for the past two weeks and telephone doesn't make the use of internet easy, so sorry for not finding the correct term myself and thank you.

Really great job on the doors! It will never be as new but you're getting as close as possible.

Bird poo seems to be very acidic. Flying pigs (read: birds, full of shit - crows, seagulls...) can not only cover the car in poo but cause actual damage, as you've written. But did this happen in a single day? It shouldn't be possible...

#46 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:32 AM

View PostSpace Voyager, on 06 August 2018 - 06:46 AM, said:

Yes, sawhorse it is! It is called koza (a goat) in Slovenian... I was not at home for the past two weeks and telephone doesn't make the use of internet easy, so sorry for not finding the correct term myself and thank you.

Really great job on the doors! It will never be as new but you're getting as close as possible.

No problem, it's interesting how other languages interpret items sometimes. ;)

I'm not aiming for new doors or even close to it. What I am aiming for is that they look better, aren't peeling anymore and will last a bunch of seasons without yearly maintenance. Posted Image

View PostSpace Voyager, on 06 August 2018 - 06:46 AM, said:

Bird poo seems to be very acidic. Flying pigs (read: birds, full of shit - crows, seagulls...) can not only cover the car in poo but cause actual damage, as you've written. But did this happen in a single day? It shouldn't be possible...

Yup, more or less in a day. Got to work and the vehicle was clean. When I was bringing garbage out to the dumpster I noticed there was a blob of poo in the middle of the hood and that was around 4pm. I got home around 6pm and then cleaned it off but the damage had been done by then. The sun was really bright that day and it was hot too, so maybe the combination of all those factors contributed to the damage. Posted Image

----------------------------------------

This weekend was hot and humid outside so no painting. Today it was cooler so I managed to prime the rest of the spots on the back door so that it's more or less even. Here's a pic:

rsz_dsc09453.jpg

Much better. And hopefully I'll get better coverage with the semi-gloss latex enamel. Today I was inspecting the muntin bars I primed and noticed that a few of the ends were a little brown underneath so I hit them with some more white stain blocking primer. Then I took the screws out and arranged the bars. I'll probably start filling the holes in them tomorrow. (Sorry, no pics of the bars, they look about the same as before).

In between projects I drove over to the glass store and ordered three new panes of Lexan polycarbonate "glass" for the smaller garage door. They should be ready by Thurs or Fri. Posted Image

As I'm going on vacation at the end of this week and into the middle of next week that leaves precious few days to get that door ready. I think I can get the outside of it done maybe tomorrow, and after filling the holes in the muntin bars I might paint them so that they are also good to go. (Instead of painting them with semi-gloss latex I might just spray them with white gloss paint to save time). Then it's just the matter of painting the frame around the window on the inside in white so it matches. Plus I'll need to purchase some new glazing compound - the stuff I used to have dried up and I couldn't even reconstitute it with paint thinner anymore. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#47 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:43 AM

I had to be a little careful today as there was a chance of rain, but nothing significant came so I got lucky with the weather. Totally forgot I wanted to touch up the primer spots on the outside of the smaller garage door, so I ended up doing that. Freehanded the moldings around the windows as I don't need to be too exact as they are going to be replaced.

DSC09455JPG.jpg

Can't wait to get the final coat on the outside as it's going to look fantastic. :)

Oh, I was trying to decide how I was going to fill the holes in the muntin bars. Could've caulked them, but that's a little messy. I knew I had some putty floating around so I tracked it down. Unfortunately it was a tad old and dried up (not completely, but nearly so). I ended up "reconstituting" it with a couple light splashes of paint thinner and a ton of mixing and rolling in my hands. Also the color was Light Oak, which is a tan-ish yellow, not the perfect color but it gets the job done:

DSC09456JPG.jpg

With that done, I put on a light coat of stain blocking primer just on the putty spots.

DSC09457JPG.jpg

If you are wondering what the black thing is on top of the spray paint can, it's a trigger handle that locks inside the top. If you do any spray paint job that requires you to press down on the button for a long time you know your finger can get pretty tired after a while. Not only that, but it's difficult to achieve an even coat. With the trigger, it's dirt easy and your finger doesn't get tired. Plus if the can leaks a bit, the paint can't touch your finger. I highly suggest getting one of these as they are a huge time saver and only cost a few dollars. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#48 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,112 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:03 AM

Muntin bars coating: thumbs up! Posted Image

And thanks for the pro tip regarding that special handle, Zombie - it's easy to see how it can make spray painting a far more trigger-happy affair. Posted Image

#49 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:25 AM

There are never enough hours in the day leading up to vacation. I was busy taking inventory and touching base with suppliers to make sure we don't run out of supplies.

I did have a little time to work on the back (big) garage door though. I was going to start caulking the panels, but got distracted thinking about how to fix those rotten areas. Sure, I could use bondo. But I remembered I had purchased some stuff nearly 30 years ago to bridge gaps in wood. A little searching and I found it. It was called "Tuff-kote" (found an article describing it here). It's not hard like putty or bondo, but rubbery - perfect for filling gaps where there is movement (remember that the panels in a garage door "float" in the frame meaning that whenever you open or close the door the panels may move). Took a while to incorporate the liquid and the solid parts together again but with constant stirring I got it mixed. I really pushed the stuff into the cracks and soft spots filling them up. After fixing those areas, I went about caulking the panels. Only got the lower half done, but it's better than nothing.

DSC09459JPG.jpg

Looks kinda bad right now, but it needs time to cure properly and skin over. Only then can you prime it.

Then it was on to the muntin bars for the smaller garage door. I sprayed on a coat of white gloss paint to the curved side first, let that dry, then sprayed the other two sides. Looks great now:

DSC09461JPG.jpg

If I had to put the bars back on right now, I'd be happy with the result as there are basically 3 coats of primer on them plus the finish coat. But, I think I'll put on another coat next week. That should protect them even more and make them look better too. Posted Image

All in all, it's starting to shape up. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#50 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 04:42 AM

Got back from vacation yesterday and actually went into work (need the exercise after all those good eats). I checked those spots that I used Tuff-Kote on and they were dry. Rubbery, but dry. Sadly though, that was the extent of "painting" as it was way too humid and hot to start something. ;)

Today was a little bit nicer so I set about caulking the rest of the panels. With three panels to go I used up the rest of my woodtone caulk so I had to switch to gray (dunno why I have so much gray caulk, but it goes with most colors). I also caulked the lower joints around the frame of the windows which was good. Need to get some more caulk to match the brown though as I want to seal the area between the window and frame (just the lower part as that gets the most weather). Here's what it looks like currently:

DSC09467JPG.jpg

I also sprayed another coat of white paint on the curved section of the muntin bars for the smaller door. No pics of this - the paint was still wet. As for the other two sides of the bars, I think they are good enough. The replacement window panes didn't arrive yet, so I may need to touch base with the glass guy to make sure they are ready. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#51 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:55 PM

The weather finally decided to cooperate today, so I came into work a little earlier to paint the smaller garage door. Why did I come in earlier? Well, the sun comes around to the door around 1:00pm. I can still paint in the sun, but sometimes it dries a little too fast. Sure, that latex paint additive will help in full sun conditions, but why chance it. Paint it in the shade and it'll keep problems to a minimum. Plus, the earlier I come in, the more time I'll have to paint without the usual interruptions.

My can of touch-up paint was nearing the end, so I had to open up a new one. It had settled out quite a bit so it took a while to incorporate everything together. As always, I added a few tablespoons of latex paint additive and stirred that in too. Originally I was going to roll the paint on the panels and brush the rest. However, after getting into the brushing I figured I could do the whole thing and skip the roller. Why? The latex additive had made the paint so smooth it wasn't leaving any brushstrokes. Always a pleasure to work with a paint like that. Here's what it currently looks like:

rsz_dsc09468.jpg

Now, that's beautiful! And it only has one coat on it. I'll probably roll on the final coat though. And of course, the area above the service door and frame still needs a coat. (You can really tell the difference between the old and the new paint in the pic). Posted Image

Hopefully I can get around to that back garage door tomorrow or Saturday. That's going to need the usual treatment of touching up the caulked areas with the brown paint and then going over the entire door with the first coat. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#52 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,112 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 02:07 PM

Report: Passed Inspection.

Looks very smooth indeed, Zombie.

Still, you'll have to forgive me for finding the tonality a little drab. But maybe applying an extra coating that is a bit more saturated will help.

So, after you left yesterday I went ahead and took care of it for you.

repainting_small_garage_door_for_Zombie.jpg

Honestly, tell me it's not way better now!

People will find it much more appealing. A more vibrant, thematically fitting colour will catch the eye of the clients and business will flourish. Posted Image

#53 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:42 AM

It may be drab, but you have to realize the building has a 3-color scheme. The bricks are a "Taffy Apple" (light caramel color), the wood features are "Cottage Brown" (which kinda matches the brown rain gutters after the paint weathers) and the doors and windows are a "Leaf Rust" (a somewhat bright red, actually more of a blood red). That is the vibrancy part.

Dunno who is supposed to find your color more appealing. Mr Bossman wouldn't, and probably a good chunk (if not all) of the employees too. And honestly, I'd hate to be the one applying that paint. Because of the saturation, the paint "base" would have to be either a transparent or a pastel base, and neither of those cover very well due to lack of pigment. If I was a professional painter and a customer wanted to me to paint that color, I'd try to talk them out of it first. (Sometimes as a professional it's your job to save the customer from themselves). If it had to be that color for a specific reason I'd agree to paint it (but would probably not be too happy).

Years ago I helped paint a historic building in my city (it was 120+ years old) which had a white background with green highlights. The white wasn't the problem, the green was. We needed to apply 3 heavy coats to get anything to cover (due to the transparent mixing base). That was bordering on nightmare territory as you end up setting up all your ladders and scaffolding each day to repaint an area you just did the day before. So not only do you use more paint, but also you spend three times as much time. And time is money. In the case of the historic building, we were stuck using the same green color as before due to city ordinances and that color could only be achieved with a transparent mixing base. We tried in vain to find a solution by switching to a white base (which has more pigment - usually TiO2), but you can't get the deep level of saturation with all that white. :(

Anyhow, I couldn't get around to any painting the last few days. The humidity levels were just insane (it was so humid here that it almost looked like fog). The next few days it's also supposed to rain. Hopefully after the weather settles down a bit I'll be able to get back at it. In the meantime I'm working on other projects around the shop which need to get done eventually, but I'm betting I can paint the inside of the back garage door sometime. ;)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#54 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,112 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:26 AM

Did you say blooood? *obscure Count Duckula cartoon reference Posted Image*

repainting_small_garage_door_for_Zombie_(r).jpg

Alright, Mr. Pantone, you've set the record straight and I'll stop messing about. Posted Image

Didn't realize there were so many surrounding colour constraints. Obviously, it needs to conform in some way to what's already there, so you'll be just fine with what you've got going, Zombie.

#55 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:32 AM

Well, on Monday we had rain in the forecast. Normally I wouldn't bother painting, but I figured that by the time the rain arrived it would be dry enough. So I started from the top and put a light coat on the caulked areas. There is a slight overhang above the door so it is a little bit protected, plus the door faces North so that protects it from the driving Westerly or Southern rain. I only got down to the top of the windows before I hung it up for the day as it was getting dark in the West signaling rain. It poured all night long, but everything looked fine on Tuesday.

Since I had some success on Monday I figured I'd try my luck and hit those lower panels with some paint. Here again, rain was forecast so I had to work fast. I started by putting a coat on the frame around the windows as they really needed it, then worked my way down to the lower panels. I got all that done and was called away to another project.

rsz_dsc09469.jpg

Only an hour went by and the heavens opened up with pouring rain, strong winds and tornado warnings. The rain was pelting my paint job, and all I could do was stand there, watch, and hope it cured enough. There was a little foaminess running down the windows but no colorant so that was a good sign. Today when I came in it all looked fine. Got lucky there. Posted Image

After the rain passed through, the temperature went down, and so did the humidity. It was sunny too, with no rain in the forecast so it's time to work on applying a first coat to everything. I started with the frame around the windows again as it needed another coat. Before doing that I put some blue exterior grade tape on the top part of the window to make it easier to paint. As for the sides, I had to leave them untaped because I needed to get paint into the crack between the frame and the window. It's easier just cutting them in with a steady hand, and leaving a little bead of paint on the window itself to prevent water from getting in there.

After getting the frame done, it was on to the door. Here again, I just brushed on the paint as there were virtually no brush marks. Everything got a good coat.

rsz_dsc09472.jpg

Looks fabulous! You might be able to see that some of the paint was wet when the pic was taken, but I'm sure it's dry now. It's obviously going to get a final coat with the roller to smooth everything out, and I still need another layer on the frame around the windows. It's what I call a 10-foot paint job: looks good from 10 feet away, but get any closer and you'll see some imperfections (like the Tuff-Kote areas - can't get those to be totally smooth).Posted Image

The next three days there is scattered t-storms forecast, so maybe I'll get around to the inside of the doors. Well, at least the back door as there shouldn't be any more water infiltration on that. The smaller door has it's old panes in just loosely (no glazing) so water will get through if there is a slight West wind with the rain. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it though. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#56 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,112 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:38 PM

I didn't know painting included a push-your-luck mechanic. :P

You've defied the odds and succeeded so far, Zombie. Still, given the weather forecast you mention I find your decision to opt for indoors work next well advised. ;)

#57 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:11 AM

I think it was about 10 days ago that I started to work on the inside of the large (back) garage door. As you may recall, we left off with it having just a primer coat. I painted the upper half on one day, and that included a coat on the muntin bars (the space between the bars and the window was about a millimeter max in some spots so I had to really pile it on). It was really warm so I turned on a fan to get some air movement back there which seemed to help with drying too. The next day I painted the lower half of the door and also put another coat on the muntin bars paying even closer attention to apply paint to any spaces between the glass and wood. All in all, it turned out great. Unfortunately it's always so dark back there that it was tough trying to get good pics. First, the full door:

2018-09-04 161745.jpg

And here's a close up with a better angle:

2018-09-04 161813.jpg

Now the only issue is that I'm running low on paint. I think I have a quart can of white semigloss interior paint from the same company floating around somewhere, so I might just add that to the remainder of the exterior stuff and that should be enough to finish both doors. I'd hate to buy another gallon of paint and then only use a half a quart. ;)

Oh, and I applied about 3 coats of paint to the exterior muntin bars of the large door to fill in any spaces. It's at that point where I think one more coat should do the trick. I also put another coat on the frame around the door and the building and also around the windows as that area was a little rough. Now that it's pretty smooth, the final coat should be a breeze. I had to get another gallon of the brown exterior paint as I only had about a quart remaining, and while I was there I picked up a can of window glazing too. Window glazing is like putty, except it goes between glass and wood to form a tight seal to prevent water from getting inside. I'll be using that to install the three new panes of Lexan for the smaller door.

Besides the painting, I have been working around the outside of the shop trying to get ready for fall. It's still nice out so I need to take advantage of the weather to get some of the other little projects finished. We have a greenhouse on-site, and the wood holding the plastic skin was getting pretty moldy, so that needs to get cleaned. Before pic:

2018-09-13 143225.jpg

It's nasty. Blobs of mold growing between the wood and the plastic, plus a thin coat of mildew on the wood itself. I scraped off as much of the mold as I could, then lightly sanded the mildew areas to loosen it up. The wood itself was originally purchased as green treated with a preservative (non-cyanide formula) so there shouldn't be any rotten areas. Since the wood is the same stuff which is used for decks (except not as wide) I decided to use a commercial moldy deck wash (containing bleach and lye, NaOCl+NaOH), but then further modified by adding more bleach and a few squirts of a commercial soap disinfectant/deodorizer. That went into a pump which was sprayed on to the wood: one coat to "wet" the surface, a second came with scrubbing, and a final application with a little more scrubbing. Then a light rinse with clear water. After pic:

2018-09-13 171408.jpg

Much better. Still looks a little dark in the pic because it wasn't dry yet. Plus, due to the light rinse, the bleach and lye and disinfectant will continue to work - even after the outside is dry. I took a pic of the other side which I did the day before to show how it looks dry:

2018-09-13 171350.jpg

It looks even better now. This week will be a mix of more painting and outside work if the weather permits. I'm sure I'll get at least one good day to get something done. :D

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#58 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,112 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:00 PM

You've really aced it with that mix you've applied to the greenhouse wood supports, Zombie. Before and after indeed! :thumbsup:

And still he soldiers on with more painting on the schedule - bravo!! Posted Image

#59 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 05:41 AM

View PostZombie, on 17 September 2018 - 05:11 AM, said:

Oh, and I applied about 3 coats of paint to the exterior muntin bars of the large door to fill in any spaces. It's at that point where I think one more coat should do the trick.

I was looking at the back garage door today and noticed there is still cracks between the moldings and the glass. I've been piling on the coats of paint hoping to fill them in but it's no use. I think the reason why is because every time we open the door to bring a vehicle in or out (or to accept large deliveries) it causes vibration. Apparently, the glazing is a little loose on those panes and all the movement just opens it up again. I'm at an impasse at this time as I don't want to take the muntin bars off from the inside, reglaze, reinstall the panes and bars and then repaint the outside of the moldings. If this happened when I first started painting the door, then I probably could have did just that. Now that it's later in the season it'll be tough to fit that in. I think what I might do is caulk the cracks and then put one more coat of paint. Caulk will flex so that's probably better anyway.

The replacement panes of Lexan still haven't arrived for the smaller garage door. The owner of the glass store was always slow at getting stuff for us and I suppose it didn't help he retired at the end of August. So I'll probably have to touch base with the new owner and reorder, Not sure if reordering is going to be necessary as the panes might be there, but uncut. In any case though, I need to start a fire to get some action as there are going to be precious few days left to do the work as fall is coming.

I couldn't do much painting the last week or so because I tore a muscle in my leg. I've been icing it down every night which helps, but getting on a ladder or even walking a lot is difficult. On top of that, the roof of one of our unattached garages has been leaking for a while and I really wanted to address that before it gets too cold. A few weeks ago I went up there and patched the areas where I thought there were cracks, but there were a couple areas yet that were leaking. I found the crack causing one of the leaks by inspection (pro tip: if you know where a leak is from inside but are having trouble locating it on the roof, pound a nail in from below. find that, pull it out and patch the area). The second leaking area I also found rather by accident. Water was running in between the roof and the drip edge of the gutter due to a loose nail. I loosened up the nail to widen the crack, filled it with roofing cement, pounded a couple more nails in and patched the nail heads. I then went along the edge of the roof and applied cement to any suspect areas. It rained lightly last night and this morning when I checked there were no leaks anymore. Hurray! Posted Image

Since the back cooler has been off for the last couple weeks I decided that I should touch up any areas of the floor which needed attention. There were a couple spots where the paint had flaked off so I filled those in. Since I had a wet brush, some time, and a nice day I figured I'd paint the lower shelf of the two rolling tables. No sense in rolling on the polyurethane, nobody will ever look that close at the lower shelves and the paint did a great job of covering without brushmarks. Here they are, sunning themselves in front of the the smaller garage door:

2018-09-26 160339.jpg

Kinda tough to see how the paint looks so I took a pic in the shade with a little reflection from the windows of the store.

2018-09-26 160512.jpg

Looks a hell of a lot better now. Posted Image

A while back I noticed a few spots I missed on the expanded metal side of the table. Instead of hauling out the brush, I just sprayed some gloss grey paint on the metal. The color wasn't a perfect match, but it's probably so close nobody will notice. Unfortunately there was a lot of overspray and parts of the top of the table have some of that paint on it (you can probably make that out from the first pic). No worries though, I was planning on repainting the top anyway. Posted Image

Tomorrow I'll probably paint the metal frame of the tables and then that will be finished. As for what's next, who knows. I need to touch up the inner frame of the smaller garage door windows as that just has brown primer on it. I forgot the inside will be white so the part that's visible from the inside needs to be white too. Not sure if I'll put another coat on the inside of the garage doors this year anymore. Honestly,  it looks fine the way it is right now. The outside of the doors is probably the same story, though I think I really should at least get a coat on the panels yet. There is also the issue that there is a pretty big space between the door and the frame in some spots (mostly on the back door). My fix is probably going to include cutting some moldings out of scrap 3/4" pine, priming those and screwing them to the frame to plug the gap. Will have to work on that this week at home as I don't have a table saw at my job. Oh well. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#60 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,112 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 08:56 AM

Leak detection, wood repairs, restoration and general carpentry, insulation work, painting with brush or roller, spray painting, paint mixing and matching, detailing, post-job inspection and fixes - ZombieWorks: Experience Excellence! Posted Image

I see you've had no shortage of self-assigned troubleshooting tasks alongside finishing the painting stuff.

The rolling tables' lower shelves turned out quite nice and even. Approved! Posted Image

It would be best if you started prioritizing more sharply at this point though, I think. Perfectionism can be detrimental if you overly indulge.

After all, as you say, Fall will likely manifest itself before too long. You're nursing a leg to boot, so try not to cripple yourself in the process of completing absolutely everything. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users