Zombie, on 17 September 2018 - 05:11 AM, said:
Oh, and I applied about 3 coats of paint to the exterior muntin bars of the large door to fill in any spaces. It's at that point where I think one more coat should do the trick.
I was looking at the back garage door today and noticed there is still cracks between the moldings and the glass. I've been piling on the coats of paint hoping to fill them in but it's no use. I think the reason why is because every time we open the door to bring a vehicle in or out (or to accept large deliveries) it causes vibration. Apparently, the glazing is a little loose on those panes and all the movement just opens it up again. I'm at an impasse at this time as I don't want to take the muntin bars off from the inside, reglaze, reinstall the panes and bars and then repaint the outside of the moldings. If this happened when I first started painting the door, then I probably could have did just that. Now that it's later in the season it'll be tough to fit that in. I think what I might do is caulk the cracks and then put one more coat of paint. Caulk will flex so that's probably better anyway.
The replacement panes of Lexan still haven't arrived for the smaller garage door. The owner of the glass store was always slow at getting stuff for us and I suppose it didn't help he retired at the end of August. So I'll probably have to touch base with the new owner and reorder, Not sure if reordering is going to be necessary as the panes might be there, but uncut. In any case though, I need to start a fire to get some action as there are going to be precious few days left to do the work as fall is coming.
I couldn't do much painting the last week or so because I tore a muscle in my leg. I've been icing it down every night which helps, but getting on a ladder or even walking a lot is difficult. On top of that, the roof of one of our unattached garages has been leaking for a while and I really wanted to address that before it gets too cold. A few weeks ago I went up there and patched the areas where I thought there were cracks, but there were a couple areas yet that were leaking. I found the crack causing one of the leaks by inspection (pro tip: if you know where a leak is from inside but are having trouble locating it on the roof, pound a nail in from below. find that, pull it out and patch the area). The second leaking area I also found rather by accident. Water was running in between the roof and the drip edge of the gutter due to a loose nail. I loosened up the nail to widen the crack, filled it with roofing cement, pounded a couple more nails in and patched the nail heads. I then went along the edge of the roof and applied cement to any suspect areas. It rained lightly last night and this morning when I checked there were no leaks anymore. Hurray!
Since the back cooler has been off for the last couple weeks I decided that I should touch up any areas of the floor which needed attention. There were a couple spots where the paint had flaked off so I filled those in. Since I had a wet brush, some time, and a nice day I figured I'd paint the lower shelf of the two rolling tables. No sense in rolling on the polyurethane, nobody will ever look that close at the lower shelves and the paint did a great job of covering without brushmarks. Here they are, sunning themselves in front of the the smaller garage door:
Kinda tough to see how the paint looks so I took a pic in the shade with a little reflection from the windows of the store.
Looks a hell of a lot better now.
A while back I noticed a few spots I missed on the expanded metal side of the table. Instead of hauling out the brush, I just sprayed some gloss grey paint on the metal. The color wasn't a perfect match, but it's probably so close nobody will notice. Unfortunately there was a lot of overspray and parts of the top of the table have some of that paint on it (you can probably make that out from the first pic). No worries though, I was planning on repainting the top anyway.
Tomorrow I'll probably paint the metal frame of the tables and then that will be finished. As for what's next, who knows. I need to touch up the inner frame of the smaller garage door windows as that just has brown primer on it. I forgot the inside will be white so the part that's visible from the inside needs to be white too. Not sure if I'll put another coat on the inside of the garage doors this year anymore. Honestly, it looks fine the way it is right now. The outside of the doors is probably the same story, though I think I really should at least get a coat on the panels yet. There is also the issue that there is a pretty big space between the door and the frame in some spots (mostly on the back door). My fix is probably going to include cutting some moldings out of scrap 3/4" pine, priming those and screwing them to the frame to plug the gap. Will have to work on that this week at home as I don't have a table saw at my job. Oh well.