Yeah, it's a knot in the wood that popped out. Easily fixed with caulk obviously. In fact, I always caulk all knots in wood as I'm afraid they will pop out.
That hedge needs to be trimmed badly. I helped the bosses wife pick out and purchase an electric one a few years ago. Did a great job. Not sure where it went after the house was cleaned out but the current boss is going to check at home. I have a suspicion it was either thrown out or "sold on the side" by the guys who did the cleaning. I think I have one at home I can borrow to trim the hedge. Honestly though, the paint looks pretty good in back of the hedge as it's blocked from weather by the overhang and trees. When I painted that the last time I think I could stand sideways and shuffle along one foot in front of the other between the hedge and the wall. Wasn't fun.
Caulkpocalypse 2020 officially started today. Went to the paint store to pick up 8 tubes of caulking, 2 rolls of blue painters tape and a gallon of paint for the inside of the garage.
You may be wondering why I got exterior paint for the inside of a garage. Well, for a couple of reasons: first, the garage sometimes saw some weather like rain, snow or sunlight if the door was left open, and second, any extra paint I have left I'm going to take back to the store to use and exterior is more useful than interior. I got the paint store to match the exact color with an old color chip book but they couldn't mix it in a eggshell finish so I told them satin was fine. If anything it'll make it easier to clean up.
One tube of the new gray caulking was defective. The bottom "pusher" was actually wedged in the tube sideways and the caulk was kinda hard behind it so I'm going to have to return that. Anyway, I used up the last tube of the almond color caulk today along with my own tube from the store of gray "Big Stretch" brand plus I polished off one tube of the new gray.
Filled in the rest of the spots above the capstone with the water putty today so at least that's done. I also fixed up the broken boards below the window by drilling a pilot hole, countersunk hole and driving in a 2" deck screw (same as the ones I used on the greenhouse) on either side of the crack into the nailer. Finished that off by caulking over the countersunk holes so it was flush with the surface. Totally invisible repair. Plus I caulked the cracks between the boards so water can't get in back anymore.
I was able to sand the water putty areas I filled in yesterday so there were no high spots anymore. Still looks dark so it's going to need more time to properly cure and dry. Was only able to caulk 4 joints on the West side and the two joints on the South next to the garage door, but I did do the joints underneath the window.
Gotta do more caulking the next time I'm over there, Plus I want to put in the new chunk of windowsill that was rotten. Have to take off the shutters because some paint is peeling next to them and I'm worried the paint will be flaking off behind the shutters. Better be safe than sorry. The drywall guy is supposedly coming on Monday to fix the bad piece of drywall in the garage and a couple spots inside the house. Once he gets that done I can prime that (tape and mud the joints if he doesn't) and roll on a coat of paint. So that's the news.