404 replies to this topic

#341 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,543 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 04:22 PM

Ok, the boards in the small garage now do look gray to me this time around, Zombie. Posted Image

As for the flower cutter table, it strikes me as having endured plenty of punishment over the years and proudly wears those marks. It apparently has the build to sustain even more, so I feel it deserves whatever extra love you can spare it.

I further grant thee a stamp of approval for the sticker removal work. Posted Image

Lichen and mold now well spotted and all told - check!

And what's this I hear - a "rigged" can of primer? Man, that could have ended far more unpleasantly for you than just a scare. Some have even ended up in the hospital. So, yeah, power suit recommended! Posted Image

And finally a view of the West wall in its full peeling "glory". You weren't kidding when you said it was in rough shape.

You talk the talk, man, now it's time to do the caulk! Posted Image

#342 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:11 PM

Mondays are usually tough for me to get any painting done, especially away from the store. However, I was able to apply a coat of polyurethane on the back of the two boards.

DSC09916JPG.jpg

They were pretty wet at the time the picture was taken so that's why they look so glossy. Oh, and I also remembered to do the inside of the metal tub.

DSC09915JPG.jpg

This tub has been through a lot over the years, used for various purposes (sometimes unintended) and still keeps on ticking. :)

Probably going over to the house today. There's a bunch of things I want to get done, so we shall see what I can cross off the list. ;)

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#343 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,565 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 06:41 AM

Ha, the perpetrator finally reveals himself, at least as a reflection in the window. It will have to do for now. :D

It seems as though you've come across some serious extremophile, living in a can of paint?! Powersuit really is in order... A chemical reaction of a sort seems more likely though, I can't imagine any living creature thriving in any of the regular paint solvents - unless the colour is water based, naturally.

So... belt sander yet? This west wall's paint is really falling apart. Is at least the wood in good enough condition? Otherwise, if I've learned anything from this thread, a coat of polyurethane makes any wood look shiny! ;)

#344 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:03 AM

View PostSpace Voyager, on 02 September 2020 - 06:41 AM, said:

It seems as though you've come across some serious extremophile, living in a can of paint?! Powersuit really is in order... A chemical reaction of a sort seems more likely though, I can't imagine any living creature thriving in any of the regular paint solvents - unless the colour is water based, naturally.

Yup, it's a latex primer so there's water involved. Dunno what caused the can to bulge like that. I doubt it was a yeast otherwise I would have smelled alcohol fumes. Possibly something which can do anerobic respiration. One thing is for sure: I open cans up nice and slow from now on. Posted Image

So... belt sander yet? This west wall's paint is really falling apart. Is at least the wood in good enough condition? Otherwise, if I've learned anything from this thread, a coat of polyurethane makes any wood look shiny! Posted Image

The wood itself is ok near the top and kinda crappy the lower you get. It should really be replaced like I said, but it's beyond the scope of the fixup so I have to soldier on and do the best I can. The paint isn't all bad though, there are plenty of spots which are sticking good yet. I'd need probably three coats of polyurethane plus the requisite coat of latex primer underneath, but the trouble with polyurethane is it's way too shiny for house paint. It would probably hold up under the severe conditions of the West side but you may have to touch it up every other year. Posted Image

Got an earlier start on the West side today because it can get quite warm in the sun when it comes around in the afternoon. I think 2:30pm is about the latest you could work on the side while still in some shade unless it's cloudy of course. I absolutely did not want to try to rake up all the paint chips from the grass, so I plopped down a canvas to make cleanup a little bit easier. Then it was on to scraping. Got smart this time and wore gloves so I didn't skin all my knuckles bloody raw.

DSC09917JPG.jpg

Better. Little by little I'll get the scraping done. The biggest problem so far is that the wood near the capstone was patched but cracked which allowed water to get behind and soak the wood. I pulled out all the old putty from the boards I scraped to allow the wood to dry out. Hopefully I can get over there tomorrow and do the same all along the capstone because the sooner it dries out, the sooner I can plug the holes and prime. Got a nice big pile of paint chips to show for it at least.

DSC09918JPG.jpg

Anyhow, it got way too hot on the West side to continue there, so I went to the South side in the afternoon.Scraping first.

DSC09919JPG.jpg

And then priming.

DSC09920JPG.jpg

Have more to do on the roof but at least the stuff which is easier to reach is protected now. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,

#345 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,543 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:00 AM

Hugging the walls is a term getting to have a whole new slant for you again, Zombie. :P

It's going to get tough before it really gets going in the West. And speaking of the capstone area, there seems to be a noticeable gap between a couple of the stones right underneath the window. Don't know if it would be worth filling that in but I guess it depends what will end up standing out more - the gap or filling.

As for the South side, that "little roof" overhang is looking quite weathered to me. I can't be sure but it seems something is growing on it even. Possibly more Lichen Fun & Co. for you to de-gunk. ;)

#346 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 01:59 AM

View PostThorondor, on 03 September 2020 - 09:00 AM, said:

It's going to get tough before it really gets going in the West. And speaking of the capstone area, there seems to be a noticeable gap between a couple of the stones right underneath the window. Don't know if it would be worth filling that in but I guess it depends what will end up standing out more - the gap or filling.

Yeah, the mortar fell out of the joint at some point. I think I still have some mortar mix back at the shop for tuck pointing and such so I can fix that up. Posted Image

View PostThorondor, on 03 September 2020 - 09:00 AM, said:

As for the South side, that "little roof" overhang is looking quite weathered to me. I can't be sure but it seems something is growing on it even. Possibly more Lichen Fun & Co. for you to de-gunk. Posted Image

A little mold and lichen, as usual. There's some crud like twigs and dead leaves sitting on top of the gutter guard which will have to be cleaned off too. Oh, the work never ends! Posted Image

Well, no work at the homestead today as I was too busy back at the shop. Figured I better get something done for you guys though, so I decided to quickly knock out the back cooler floor (again). Seems like every year I'm repainting that, but it gets a ton of use and water sits on it for lengths of time so it's no wonder it starts to peel in spots - especially the big spot I found.

DSC09921JPG.jpg

And a pic of the pile of paint scrapings:

DSC09925JPG.jpg

Just brushed on a single coat on the scraped areas. I was debating whether to upload the next pic as it turned out kinda fuzzy, but it does show that big spot covered over.

DSC09926JPG.jpg

Maybe I can roll on the final coat tomorrow or Saturday (it'll probably be Saturday because if the weather is nice I'll be at the house on Fri, but you never know when there's a chance of rain). Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#347 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,543 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 08:45 AM

You do have a global audience, Zombie, so it's nice of you to so consider your devout following - going the extra mile to deliver! :happy:

Man, how is it even possible to savage the back cooler floor like that? Those scrapes went like several layers deep. It's just as if only yesterday you had piled coat upon coat on it, making sure it was evenly and lavishly covered.

Oh, well, it's all par for the course I guess. It's touched up for now but this, good Sir, with use so foul, further needs protective layering from thou. ;)

#348 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 01:18 AM

View PostThorondor, on 04 September 2020 - 08:45 AM, said:

Man, how is it even possible to savage the back cooler floor like that? Those scrapes went like several layers deep. It's just as if only yesterday you had piled coat upon coat on it, making sure it was evenly and lavishly covered.

I think the thing that really messes up the floor quickest is the boxes of greens we sometimes have in there and those are put together with staples so if you drag one of those boxes the staples can scratch the paint and accelerate the process of chipping. We also frequently have standing sprays in there (basically arrangements on a thick wire easel). The wire bottom of those easels can be sharp sometimes so that may be another cause. Whatever it is though, it's still nice to plop a new coat of paint on it to make it look good. Posted Image

Today I started on the West side of the house before it got too hot there. Got a little more scraping done, but I also sanded all the raw wood spots so there wasn't any deep spots or loose fibers. That can sometimes loosen up the paint in areas so I had to do a little more scraping and sanding afterwards.

DSC09927JPG.jpg

Hopefully I can get to priming that side soon. While near the window I noticed it too was in rough shape so I did a little scraping on it.

DSC09928JPG.jpg

The lower right side of the windowsill is, well, crappy. I had replaced this section quite a few years ago because it was rotten, but it looks like the weather took it's toll again. No bid deal, I'll find a chunk to use at the store and patch it in again. I also got the green light to replace the glass window because it's cracked in the lower right too (might be able to make that out in the pic). With that, I had to dump the canvas out inside the garage due to the wind trying to blow the paint chips on to the lawn (plus it was getting a little too warm in the sun). The pile of chips is growing. Time to work on the South side as it was still kinda in the shade. Caulking mostly.

DSC09929JPG.jpg

Used up the last partial tube of gray caulk, then opened up my final tube of almond caulk I picked up at the paint store. I figure I'll need about two more for for the South side areas and probably 6-8 tubes for the West.

I want to start painting the red trim soon so I did a little work on the gutters above the two windows on the South side. They were pretty bad obviously with mold and lichen and dirt caked on. Used straight bleach first and lightly brushed that on all the areas. After I got to the end I started over from the beginning with a spray bottle of multipurpose soap cleaner and a scrub brush. When I got to the end, I started from the beginning again but this time with window cleaner. And finally hosed it all off.

DSC09930JPG.jpg DSC09931JPG.jpg

100% better, but there are still some discolored areas on the gutter so I'll go over it again with bleach and soap. I might use commercial bucket cleaner for the soap step this time as that seems to work pretty good on organic stains (stains caused by organic materials like mold). I'll try to get a closeup pic of the gutter sections I didn't treat yet so you can get an idea how bad it really is. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#349 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,543 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 02:02 PM

The decay is real on that windowsill, Zombie, and still you seem pretty unphased by it. Posted Image

I suppose having seen to that once before you know how to take care of it. But the degradation doesn't seem confined to the lower right - further inward on the top side there's some indication of more weathering you may want to probe.

Those multiple passes you've committed to on the South side gutters sure made a difference already.

On a sidenote, I don't know if it's just the perspective of the pics and all, but those surrounding trees seem to be pretty close and high as they are I expect there's no avoiding leaves (and whatever else is carried in the wind) coming to rest on the roof, which is my roundabout way of saying there's no preventing organic material layering with time, which in turn favours concentrating moisture.

Something for the next owner of the house to worry about mostly. Posted Image

Coming up: we find out how deep you like your reds to be featured in real estate agency advert snaps. Posted Image

#350 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 02:08 AM

View PostThorondor, on 05 September 2020 - 02:02 PM, said:

The decay is real on that windowsill, Zombie, and still you seem pretty unphased by it. Posted Image

I suppose having seen to that once before you know how to take care of it. But the degradation doesn't seem confined to the lower right - further inward on the top side there's some indication of more weathering you may want to probe.

Decay is decay Mr T. It's just another thing you have to deal with when painting. Posted Image True, I did fix it before but I have long since forgotten the particulars so it's basically a fresh new problem. Posted Image With that said. I do see how I fixed it and what I can do to make the repair last longer this time around (short of replacing the entire windowsill of course). Just so happens I had a cursory glance through my "wood stockpile" at the store today and found a piece the exact thickness I need and it's cedar so it'll probably be a lot more robust to weathering than the fir I used the last time.

As for the other degradation you mention, I didn't really get that far up yet but it's on the radar. I believe it's just chipping paint and not rotten wood so that's a plus.

View PostThorondor, on 05 September 2020 - 02:02 PM, said:

On a sidenote, I don't know if it's just the perspective of the pics and all, but those surrounding trees seem to be pretty close and high as they are I expect there's no avoiding leaves (and whatever else is carried in the wind) coming to rest on the roof, which is my roundabout way of saying there's no preventing organic material layering with time, which in turn favours concentrating moisture.

Something for the next owner of the house to worry about mostly. Posted Image

Surprisingly, the trees on the North side are kinda far back so they don't play any role in messing up the roof. The big maple tree on the East side is pretty close to the house though but with the prevailing winds coming from the West and South most of the leaves actually end up falling away from the house. Plus the gutters have a mesh screen over the openings which prevent the leaves from getting in there and clogging things up. It's not a perfect system, but seems to work ok considering it's a cheap system. Stuff can still collect on top of the screens and decay and ultimately end up falling into the gutter, but I try to get up there and blast the stuff to the downspouts with a hose once a year.

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#351 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 12:30 AM

Last couple days we had rain so no work at the house (I thought about going over there today and bleaching the boards underneath the eaves but decided against it). Instead, I painted the flashing around the base of the back cooler.

DSC09932JPG.jpg

It's looking pretty rusty in back of there in spots. I could see replacing that next year with maybe aluminum or even galvanized sheet metal. The aluminum I could do myself as it's easy enough to cut and bend, but for the sheet metal I'd need a HVAC guy or something to do the bending. Ah well, something to think about. Posted Image

And you know me, while I have a brush wet I might as well paint something else, right? So I did the top of one of the rolling tables and the table next to the back cooler.

DSC09933JPG.jpg DSC09934JPG.jpg

Did they need it? Well, they would have been fine, but it's always good to freshen them up. Plus it's easier to keep them clean if the paint is nice and glossy instead of matte. And with COVID, I've been cleaning them at least once a week depending on use. The other rolling table and the table in the back room will have to wait for a little bit unless we have more rain. Posted Image

Btw, the weather has been unseasonably cool (record low high temps were set for this day), and I've seen some extended weather reports saying the Midwest might be getting into a polar vortex in fall so painting may be limited. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#352 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,543 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:42 AM

I too had noticed from your previous pics that rust on the base of the cooler was coming to get you, Zombie. ;)

I expect it slowly crept in at first, but now it's clearly done with being coy. :P

Aluminum is certainly easier to bend to your will and you won't then have to worry about rust anymore, but if there are going to be things that go bumping into it on a fairly regular basis it'll get "bruised" easily.

And, of course, I'm not at all surprised to find that the Fastest Brush In The Midwest dispatched two more table tops while we blinked. :happy:

#353 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,565 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 01:38 PM

View PostThorondor, on 04 September 2020 - 08:45 AM, said:

You do have a global audience, Zombie, so it's nice of you to so consider your devout following - going the extra mile to deliver! Posted Image

He he he, that's putting on extra pressure! Z, stay safe!

Looking good so far.

#354 Jman4117

Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 11:03 AM

Things can live in paint if the solvent can't kill them. Basically it's a water based paint and that doesn't kill the mold or whatever is in there. I've come across some seriously rank smelling paint at work that had things growing in it. Always latex, never in oil.
"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."
-- Krusty the Clown, "The Simpsons"

#355 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:30 AM

Worked a little at the house today. Started on the West side again because it was cloudy. Finished the scraping under the window and took out the rotten piece of windowsill to get a better measurement. Freebie of me in the window reflection. Posted Image

DSC09936JPG.jpg

There are about three boards under the window that are badly cracked down the middle and are loose so I think I'll try to drive some decking screws in them to get them tight again. If I'd leave them as they are, they would pop loose eventually. And again, the whole side should really be replaced, but that isn't in the budget and the next owners can deal with it in about 8 years when it needs repainting again.

I wanted to start priming on the West side but got side tracked by the boss Posted Image so I made the front of the house a little more presentable by painting the boards above the front door as well as the red fascia.

DSC09937JPG.jpg

The paint was still a little wet when the pic was taken but it was drying surprisingly quick. The trouble with colorful paints and stains is that they almost always show bleed-through due to the small amount of pigment, so the red is going to need a second coat obviously. I might try to use some of that red mistint latex paint I got last year by thinning it down a bit with latex paint conditioner. That will probably help prevent too much bleed-through from the light colored primer.

Since I had the brush wet with the red I also painted the second window on the South side, then went around to the East and slapped a coat on the two windows there.

DSC09938JPG.jpg

When I get the time I'll be rolling on the final coat of tan on the East and South sides. I did manage to paint the frame around the front door and the spot above the house number plaque and light so rolling should go quicker. But priming is going to have to occur early next week on the West side because I need to fill in those big chunks of missing wood with water putty. Oh the joys! Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#356 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,543 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 02:11 PM

More presentable indeed, Zombie, it's nice to see a fresh dash of colour on the front of the house! :)

Looking at the East side windows in your last pic, with the new coat on, one can even see the wood grain, which is pleasant, but what I'd argue is less so, is that on the upper part of the red frame of the window closest to us - the wood surface seems a bit "rocky" ?

Maybe it's just the fact the painting is so recent that its reflectiveness makes it sort of jump at you. :P

Staying tuned for the results of playing with putty! ;)

#357 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:29 AM

View PostThorondor, on 12 September 2020 - 02:11 PM, said:

Looking at the East side windows in your last pic, with the new coat on, one can even see the wood grain, which is pleasant, but what I'd argue is less so, is that on the upper part of the red frame of the window closest to us - the wood surface seems a bit "rocky" ?

Maybe it's just the fact the painting is so recent that its reflectiveness makes it sort of jump at you. Posted Image

You guessed it. Because the paint is wet it reflects light back more than it normally would. This will disappear as the paint skins over. The finish for this stain is flat so there should be very little shininess after it dries. I'm sure I'll get a pic of that.

View PostThorondor, on 12 September 2020 - 02:11 PM, said:

Staying tuned for the results of playing with putty! Posted Image

It's not fun, but it's better than playing with cement or plaster of paris. Back in the day, I used to be the guy to mix plaster of paris at work for holding artificial plants in containers. Mind you, I did this with my bare hands which would dry them out like you wouldn't believe. Posted Image I eventually switched over to using a hand shovel which saved my hands from dryness and excess cleanup. The trick with plaster of paris is you can make it a little thinner (runnier) if it's going into a container, but keep it thicker if it's going on walls.

For water putty it says 3 parts powder to one part water, but I never follow that. There's no way I'm going to waste time measuring out exact quantities and having it turn out too wet or dry anyway. I normally dump in a quantity of putty I think I need, guesstimate the water and if it turns out too runny I'll slowly mix in more powder until it's the consistency I want. It's far easier to fix a runny mix by adding dry powder than it is to fix a dry mix by adding small quantities of water. You'll almost always overshoot, I guarantee it. That's my pro tip. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#358 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,565 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:21 AM

View PostZombie, on 13 September 2020 - 05:29 AM, said:

It's far easier to fix a runny mix by adding dry powder than it is to fix a dry mix by adding small quantities of water. You'll almost always overshoot, I guarantee it. That's my pro tip. Posted Image

- Zombie
I agree completely, though I always try to add just the right amount of water. And end up at both sides - either not enough or too much...

I never worked with plaster of paris though. Googled it and it is not your ordinary plaster. Interesting.

#359 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:38 AM

When I last painted at the house it was Friday and that night it rained. Not heavily, but it was a steady rain almost all night long (wasn't on the forecast otherwise I wouldn't have painted anything). So you guessed it, the red I painted washed off in spots. But, I can fix that obviously.

DSC09939JPG.jpg DSC09943JPG.jpg

Sorry about the second pic, didn't realize the sun was so low in the sky.

Today was priming day.

DSC09940JPG.jpg

It wasn't too bad working in the sun because the sky was really hazy today. This was due to the smoke in the atmosphere from the gigantic wildfires on the West coast of the US. Kinda unsettling. The pic above was facing North East where it was spotty with blue sky one minute and white haze the next. Must've caught it at the rare time it was blue.

Here's a hint: oil paint (like the primer I'm using) usually skins over when there is air space above it. To get the skin out, run a wooden paint stirring stick around the skin and side of the can till it's loose being careful not to submerge the skin. Then get the paint stick underneath it and try to lift it out. What do you do with it when it's out of the can? I use those plastic grocery/Walmart shopping bags - they are deep and wide enough to set a paint can on one side and still have room to dump the skin in next to it. Then leave the top open so the skin can harden and you can put another skin on top of that, lather, rinse and repeat till the bag is too full or falling apart.

After I primed I actually started painting the red (so the second pic) plus I painted the windowsill on the West side, part of the fascia, and the bit behind the gutter at the far side (new board so it was primed white). That pretty much used up the last bit of old red paint. Still have a brand new gallon though. And I also trimmed a juniper "tree" on the other side of the garage door which was overgrown and above the roof. Got a whole garbage can full of trimmings out of it.

DSC09942JPG.jpg

You can see the sky was pretty white in this pic. Anyhow, it wasn't a perfect job, but it's better than it was. Really it should be completely removed, but again, not in the budget. In the meantime I decided to caulk along the board and wall inside the garage. After that I figured I could slap on a coat of paint (still had part of a gallon from the last time I painted the garage). Had a hell of a time trying to get the can open (luckily no explosions!) as there was rust all along the lid of the can. When I finally got the lid off, I found the paint was pretty hard. Somehow the moisture in the air had worked it's way inside the lid and rusted the can out. Bugger. Well, I gotta go to the paint store anyway so I'll just buy a new can.

Checked the primed spots and they were dry so I did a little filling along the capstone with the water putty.

DSC09941JPG.jpg

The areas above the deep spots are almost dry in the pic, but the darker spots still felt damp so it will take a while for it to dry out sufficiently. I could probably sand it tomorrow though - water putty gets rock hard when it's dry so sanding is possible but difficult. The consistency I made the putty was kinda like thicker peanut butter. I was afraid of a thin mix because the putty might sag out of the holes, so I made it nice and thick (no lumps either)! There was just enough moisture present to spread it out with a wide blade putty knife (3 1/2 inches).

I investigated the cracks in the boards below the window and found out there is a nailer (a long piece of wood) in back of it which is about an inch and a half thick. The boards themselves are about 3/4 inch thick so that means I can use a 2 inch decking screw to affix them back to the wall. I'll have to predrill a pilot hole in the outer board so it doesn't split again, and I'm probably going to countersink the heads below the surface of the boards so I can cover it over with caulk.

And I decided I'm going to clean the boards under the overhang by using my garden sprayer. Put some bleach in the container, add some bucket soap and thin it out by half with water, then pump up the tank with air and spray it on. It'll be a lot less messy than brushing the bleach on with an old paintbrush and will take less time too.

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#360 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,543 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:21 AM

With Zombie there is no strife - you'll avoid the lumps in life! :P

So, priming day at last on the West side and putty time. While admiring your progress I saw something I hadn't noticed in previous pics - that the corner board has some sort of hole/depression/deformation? Just one more to join the long line of filling/sanding candidates. ;)

I wasn't aware there were hedges, bushes or what have you that close to the house. From what's on the pic before last in your post I imagine you're either going to have to do some more trimming or start doing some painting of the exterior from inside the house.

Finally, more spraying, less delaying bleaching method - approved!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users