When I last painted at the house it was Friday and that night it rained. Not heavily, but it was a steady rain almost all night long (wasn't on the forecast otherwise I wouldn't have painted anything). So you guessed it, the red I painted washed off in spots. But, I can fix that obviously.
Sorry about the second pic, didn't realize the sun was so low in the sky.
Today was priming day.
It wasn't too bad working in the sun because the sky was really hazy today. This was due to the smoke in the atmosphere from the gigantic wildfires on the West coast of the US. Kinda unsettling. The pic above was facing North East where it was spotty with blue sky one minute and white haze the next. Must've caught it at the rare time it was blue.
Here's a hint: oil paint (like the primer I'm using) usually skins over when there is air space above it. To get the skin out, run a wooden paint stirring stick around the skin and side of the can till it's loose being careful not to submerge the skin. Then get the paint stick underneath it and try to lift it out. What do you do with it when it's out of the can? I use those plastic grocery/Walmart shopping bags - they are deep and wide enough to set a paint can on one side and still have room to dump the skin in next to it. Then leave the top open so the skin can harden and you can put another skin on top of that, lather, rinse and repeat till the bag is too full or falling apart.
After I primed I actually started painting the red (so the second pic) plus I painted the windowsill on the West side, part of the fascia, and the bit behind the gutter at the far side (new board so it was primed white). That pretty much used up the last bit of old red paint. Still have a brand new gallon though. And I also trimmed a juniper "tree" on the other side of the garage door which was overgrown and above the roof. Got a whole garbage can full of trimmings out of it.
You can see the sky was pretty white in this pic. Anyhow, it wasn't a perfect job, but it's better than it was. Really it should be completely removed, but again, not in the budget. In the meantime I decided to caulk along the board and wall inside the garage. After that I figured I could slap on a coat of paint (still had part of a gallon from the last time I painted the garage). Had a hell of a time trying to get the can open (luckily no explosions!) as there was rust all along the lid of the can. When I finally got the lid off, I found the paint was pretty hard. Somehow the moisture in the air had worked it's way inside the lid and rusted the can out. Bugger. Well, I gotta go to the paint store anyway so I'll just buy a new can.
Checked the primed spots and they were dry so I did a little filling along the capstone with the water putty.
The areas above the deep spots are almost dry in the pic, but the darker spots still felt damp so it will take a while for it to dry out sufficiently. I could probably sand it tomorrow though - water putty gets rock hard when it's dry so sanding is possible but difficult. The consistency I made the putty was kinda like thicker peanut butter. I was afraid of a thin mix because the putty might sag out of the holes, so I made it nice and thick (no lumps either)! There was just enough moisture present to spread it out with a wide blade putty knife (3 1/2 inches).
I investigated the cracks in the boards below the window and found out there is a nailer (a long piece of wood) in back of it which is about an inch and a half thick. The boards themselves are about 3/4 inch thick so that means I can use a 2 inch decking screw to affix them back to the wall. I'll have to predrill a pilot hole in the outer board so it doesn't split again, and I'm probably going to countersink the heads below the surface of the boards so I can cover it over with caulk.
And I decided I'm going to clean the boards under the overhang by using my garden sprayer. Put some bleach in the container, add some bucket soap and thin it out by half with water, then pump up the tank with air and spray it on. It'll be a lot less messy than brushing the bleach on with an old paintbrush and will take less time too.