So today was the day to put up the new plastic on the greenhouse. Got a very early start (6:30am) because the wind tends to be quiet in the morning. Started by rolling out the plastic on the (empty) parking lot then pulled it till it was along the South side (the side that faces the store, not the small garage). Then I cut three pieces of sisal binder twine and tied them to either side of the plastic and one in the middle. Boss was supposed to be there at 7:30 with his son, but he conveniently overslept & didn't let me know. So it was just me for the time being. Was kinda getting worried about the wind picking up so I just forged ahead by myself.
Getting the plastic started is always the hardest part - especially if you are the only person working on it. Started pulling the twine (and plastic) to the North on the driveway side first. As I got it up above the wall of the greenhouse I tied off the twine and moved to the middle twine. Did the same thing there, then went to the parking lot side and, yeah, the same. Here's a pic of the South side with the plastic just over the top of the wall.
Looks like kinda a mess because there is so much plastic that needs to go up yet, and you have to unfurl it so you aren't trying to pull the whole thing over the top. Took a pic on the North side showing one of the pieces of twine tied off.
So I continued on, pulling the plastic up a little bit, tying off the twine so the plastic doesn't slip down, then moving to the next twine and tying that off when I got it to the same height. Took a while to inch along like this, but at least the wind wasn't blowing too hard. When I got it mostly over, I then had to adjust how much plastic was on the East and West sides. At this time the wind started to pick up a little bit so I had to get out some concrete blocks and put them on the plastic to keep the stuff flying away.
Time between the first two pics and the third was about 20 minutes. Had to do a little more adjusting though and once that was done it seemed pretty close to being equal along the East and West sides. Took a pic from the inside just showing the thing where I wanted it.
Boss and his son finally stroll in after this so I got the help I needed to attach the furring strips. Took a little while to get my buddy up to speed, what was done, what needed to be done and his part etc. The most important thing to do is get one of the shorter sides somewhat attached so you can go over to the other side and pull the plastic tight and attach that side. In this case we started on the East side, got it somewhat attached then moved to the West side and got that fleshed out.
Time was about 10:15 am and I figured I was on schedule. We set about getting the East side to the same level of completion. Had to take a break because a truck came in with fresh flowers and some hanging baskets. Then we started to attach the wood strips on the top part of the North side. Got that done just after 12:00pm, ate lunch then attached the strips on the top part of the South side.
Time was about 12:20pm. Running behind but that always happens after lunch. For the next part I didn't have time for pics so I'll explain what was done.
Another truck came in with fresh flowers. Cut those and put them away. Then back at it on the greenhouse. Put the strips on the lower part of the North side, then attached the vertical strips. Ditto on the South side. After the long sides were fastened down we worked on the West side. When we got to the east side another truck came in with outdoor planters and some hanging baskets. Had to unload those, then barely settled back and yet another truck came in with fresh flowers. By this time it was already past 5:30pm so it was dinner. I was beat, but that little break helped. We finally got the East side finished, then cut off the excess plastic along the long sides and hauled all the planters and hanging baskets into the greenhouse plus set up the boards in there.
Time was 6:43 pm. Took another couple hours to cut the flowers that came in and put those away and garbage duty + cleanup took another hour. All told, I had nearly a 15 hour day. What hurt was all those breaks where we had to unload the never ending line of trucks dropping stuff off, plus the nearly 2 hour delay waiting for help to arrive in the morning. Normally I'd have the greenhouse complete by about 3 PM assuming I wouldn't have any interruptions except for lunch.
Anyway, I'll try and get some more pics of the outside of the greenhouse tomorrow. There's a little more to be done above the doors on the West side and to fix up the broken table along the North side but otherwise it's all complete now.