291 replies to this topic

#241 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,223 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 11:16 AM

Whatever plagues you, never doubt, Zombie will take care of it throughout! Posted Image

> facility repairs progress: │▓▓▓▓▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░│

> interrupt: stand by for bio-decontamination _

> [............................................................................................................................................

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pick your poison. Posted Image

#242 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 02:51 AM

View PostSpace Voyager, on 13 March 2020 - 05:50 AM, said:

But ooooooh, a shit hit the fan smiley! Niiiiiice! I'm still thinking of starting a new repository after being screwed by Photobucket.

If you (or anyone else) has a smiley/emote that you want added, drop me a pm and I'll add it to the list. :)

Unfortunately not much has happened with the greenhouse since last week. It's been cloudy, windy and cool and I have too much on my plate to spend on it. Really, the next thing I'll probably work on is either getting the west door to close properly again or to start adding extra fiberfill to any joints. I did find out that the sisal binder twine I used the last time to secure the fiberfill has started to become brittle due to age so I guess it's a good thing I'll be working on that anyway. Boss picked up a couple extra replacement slats today, he'll be getting the rest tomorrow evening. I just want to make sure that if the government shuts us down due to the coronavirus that I'll be able to work on the greenhouse by myself (not going to ask anyone else to help to prevent the spread). ;)

The boss also picked up a few boxes of LED 90W replacement floodlamps for our canister lights in the showroom (these lamps only use 15W). We used to have incandescent floods in the canisters using the full 90W up till a few years ago. Then a group called focus on energy (or something like that) came in and did a free energy audit and recommended replacing the incandescent bulbs with CFL (compact fluorescent light) floods. The quote for them to replace the bulbs was way out of the park so I told the boss we can do that ourselves. So every time an incandescent burnt out I replaced it with a CFL till nearly all the canisters were fluorescent (we kept a few canisters with incandescent bulbs in as a safety feature because they are instant on at 100% power out of the blocks where the CFLs take a few minutes to warm up and reach full luminosity).

Then a couple years ago I began noticing LED floods starting to be stocked on shelves at a fairly decent price (especially if you can get them while they are on sale). Much like the incandescent phase out, I started to phase out the CFLs with LEDs. There were about 10 bulbs left in the store that were CFLs and all but two of them had burnt out. So today I replaced the dead ones with the second generation LED floods. The two workable bulbs I took outside and used them to replace some burnt out CFLs. There were still two dead bulbs outside so I took some first generation LED floods from the store to replace them, then swapped in the second generation floods in the showroom. Now we are 100% LED for floods in the store. In the small garage I swapped over to LED floods two years ago and in the far back garage I switched to LEDs last year. So except for one or two bulbs we are nearly all LED now.

Still trying to find cheap LED replacements for our long 48" tube fluorescent lights but so far no luck. Eventually they should become more common I'd imagine. In the meantime we have quite a few tubes burnt out in the store and office area and those need to get replaced soon. Back to fluorescent for them but I fully intend to start swapping to LEDs when we find a source. ;)

So that's what I was up to today (besides the other projects). Posted Image

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#243 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,223 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:48 PM

Before it's all gone, trust Zombie to keep the lights on!

These transitions from incandescent, fluorescent to LED generations actually remind me of how, not truly all that long ago, people like my parents and grandparents simply had to rely on candle light and later kerosene/petrol lamps to light their homes.

Since there was no electricity, things as essential as food storage and preservation had a wide range of implications of their own on daily life, natural light still mostly dictating activity cycles, etc.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is I find myself thinking how very fortunate we are things have evolved as much as they have in a relatively few decades, because I can only imagine how much worse off we would all be now also in terms of medical care / life support.

So, let there be light, natural or otherwise and all should work out for the best - on the job and elsewhere!

#244 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 12:39 AM

On Tuesday the bosses son was on site because school was off (spring break+mandatory shutdown due to the coronavirus). We work together good, so we started off removing the fiberfill over the joints of the greenhouse, rewrapping and adding more fiberfill and tying it off with new pieces of sisal binder twine. Almost got the whole side finished but we had to do some work when we reached the East side where one of the doors is. Just above where the picnic table is there is a pole attached to the hoops that we use for hanging baskets in spring/summer. Well, the end was a bit too long so we ended up hacking off a couple inches (5 cm) then rewrapped it with fiberfill.

Another issue was the frame around the door. When the greenhouse last collapsed in 2000 (due to 3 big snowfalls in 3 days) the hoops were all bent up and the greenhouse itself went out of plumb/level. At the time we hastily put the thing back together the best we could and that was fine for many years. It's gotten to the point where the wooden frame around the door that runs up to the end hoop was sticking out. No rips from this, but it was getting close to where something could make it worse. Obviously something needed to be done. I ended up taking off the piece of wood running up to the hoop and replacing it (the old wood was soft due to dry rot). The "new" wood was just a piece I cut off from a used piece if dimensional lumber (untreated mind you). So here you can see what the side looks like.

DSC09785JPG.jpg

I tried cutting the piece of wood to fit tightly underneath the hoop (lovingly called a "compression fit") but I was a little bit off in my measurement. Ended up cutting a different angle on part of the wood to make it work, but it should function. After this I had to drill some holes to bolt the wood to a connecting strap of metal. Closeup of this:

DSC09784JPG.jpg

It's a lot better now. But issues like this aren't a one-off thing on an old greenhouse, no sir. I didn't have to look far because the other part of the frame was dangerously close to poking through the plastic.

DSC09786JPG.jpg

I wasn't going to take off any more plastic to investigate so I did a little exploratory surgery.

DSC09787JPG.jpg

Yeah, pretty bad indeed. So same deal as the other part of the frame: took the old piece of wood off, cut a new piece to fit, drilled some holes then bolted the thing back together. The "new" piece of wood was not new or green treated just something I had sitting around in the garage for quick fixes. I did get the angle almost perfect and it was within 1/2 mm so that should really help with future snow loads in the winter.

DSC09788JPG.jpg

So all this frame repairing happened yesterday. Today I worked on reinstalling the two pieces of wood above the door and the piece of wood running from the door to the first 4x4 post. I'll have to take some pics of this tomorrow because the mist/rain was too heavy when I finished. Posted Image

Tomorrow I'll probably be working on the West side door frame. If you thought the East side was bad, just wait till I show you pics of this side. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,

#245 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,223 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 05:34 PM

Now that you've got an assistant manager on hand, Zombie, you've got to be on your A game - so what's this I hear about makeshift wood cutting with an angle? :P

Fortunately you really nailed the fit on the other end by the looks of it.

Well, there's no denying you're a good role model for the kid, as you definitely put in the work every time and even when things go a bit off you make sure nothing goes to waste.

Let's see what other curve balls that West side of the structure throws your way.

#246 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:31 AM

Bosses son, huh? Dangerous territory. ;)

Frankly I didn't find the wooden supports to be THAT bad. Judging from the pics only, naturally, can't see the big picture. I've seen far worse... Needless to say, now it looks much better and good for a number of years if properly covered.

How the business going? If the news have any truth to it, everything stopped all over Europe (some mild exaggeration).

#247 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 02:54 PM

View PostSpace Voyager, on 23 March 2020 - 10:31 AM, said:

Bosses son, huh? Dangerous territory. Posted Image

Not really. He's a good kid and a great worker (at least when he's into it which is most times). I've been showing him the ropes since he was old enough to hold a broom so he knows how to do things on his own. And what he doesn't know, I show him when we work together. :)

I only had him as a helper last Mon-Tue. Every day past that it was just me (that's when the coronavirus thing started to spiral out of control over here).

Frankly I didn't find the wooden supports to be THAT bad. Judging from the pics only, naturally, can't see the big picture. I've seen far worse... Needless to say, now it looks much better and good for a number of years if properly covered.

The board on the left had dry rot and was soft in spots so I decided to replace it outright. It was also a little short. Didn't take pics of this as I sorta got into it before it hit me. ;) The board on the right wasn't that bad. Here again though, it was too short due to the angle of the hoop underneath it. The board was only touching the hoop on the right side and there was nothing but air to the left. By replacing I was able to fit the board completely under the hoop to act as a true support. Now when there is a snow load it'll compress the hoop so it touches the whole board which in turn will transfer the weight to the ground. Posted Image

How the business going? If the news have any truth to it, everything stopped all over Europe (some mild exaggeration).

Not going to lie, it's been slow. Our bread and butter used to be funeral flowers but with funerals being postponed or cancelled that's a big chunk of our business down the tubes. Thankfully we still have an ok walk-in business and customers will also call in or order online so there's still that to rely on. Our fresh flower suppliers are still open and will continue to do so during the crisis as they are categorized as grocery and that's a big plus. If we get a total lockdown order though all bets are off and we'll be forced to close.

My city has been a ghost town for over a week now. Hardly any automobile or truck traffic except at the grocery stores... still don't understand the irrational exuberance people have with toilet paper though (if you've never heard that phrase, google it). I'd say there's probably 1/10 the normal traffic. I see a lot of people outside walking either with their spouse or their dogs - probably because there's nothing else to do when you are out of work. So people are scared (and rightfully so) and they are staying put.

I'm not going to get into the specific politics of this situation but needless to say it's a real shit show. I sure wouldn't want to get the coronavirus with all the lack of tests, supplies, ventilators, and qualified hospital staff to treat. Posted Image

Anyhow I did take some more pics of the greenhouse the other day so I'll be posting them later today or tomorrow. And I'm assuming I'll be working on it again today so there's always the chance I'll take some more. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#248 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 05:04 AM

So here's some more pics of the East side of the greenhouse (mostly) finished.

DSC09789JPG.jpg

This is the outside. I had to take off both boards above the doors to readjust things as my work on the vertical boards changed stuff. Directly above the door is a strip of grey on the wood, this is a piece of galvanized metal which is used as a plate to prevent the door from closing too far. It had small screws holding it in place (flat bladed screwdriver needed) so I switched them to phillips head drywall screws (didn't have any coated or plated so I used plain black oxide coated). The grey color is because I sprayed a coat of primer over the galvanized metal and drywall screws to hopefully prevent any rust from forming. Didn't want to go out to the hardware store to pick up coated screws so I stuck these in temporarily.

DSC09790JPG.jpg

Here's the attachment points of the vertical board to the right of the door. Both bolts now have the proper washer, lock washer plus a new nut at the end. The lower bolt was new, I'm reusing the top bolt after wire brushing it. Should be ok inside as they really will not see any moisture unless the greenhouse is very humid and cold.

DSC09791JPG.jpg

This is the east side looking from the inside. I had to take down the board with hooks and cut a liitle bit of wood off one end because it was too long. I made it shorter and tried to pull the side of the greenhouse in a little bit by compressing the board when putting in the screws. It sorta worked. To do a proper job I would have needed to park the van in the driveway near the greenhouse then wedge a long board under the rear tire of the van and wedge the other end against the board above the door to push things over more. In the end though, I'm  happy with how things turned out on this side as the doors latch so smooth now. Posted Image

Switching gears to the west side of the greenhouse.

DSC09793JPG.jpg

This is the board to the left of the doors. The bracket is backwards, the lower bolt does not have a washer or a lockwasher so that needs to be addressed. The fiberfill was pretty much worn away from half the connection point too so I'll be adding more to the ends just to make sure there's enough there to prevent the constant flapping of the plaxtic from wearing it away. The right board wasn't much better, no washers or lockwashers on any of the bolts.Posted Image

This last pic shows the west of the greenhouse from the outside.

DSC09792JPG.jpg

From this pic it doesn't look too bad. From the surface sure, just wait till I show a pic from the side though. The whole side is completely jacked up. (Remember when I said the greenhouse completely collapsed in 2000 from 3 big snowfalls)? The end hoop is completely bent way, way out of shape and the sides angle in to the doors. Terrible stuff. To do a decent job I'd need to get a new hoop which might not be possible right now. So I'll probably have "fabrimacobble" (as YouTuber AvE says) something together to make it work. All I know is that it's gonna take time and it's not going to be pretty. Posted Image

The governor of Wisconsin (the state I live in) issued a statewide stay at home order today and any non-essential businesses are to close. So far he hasn't spelled out when this goes into effect though so I may only have a couple more days (at most) to work on the greenhouse. Not sure if florists are considered essential either, will have to play this by ear basically. But the cops will be enforcing the rule so best not force the issue. Will have to find out from the bossman what is going to happen. If we are to stay home for 2 weeks, the cooler is going to be a moldy mess of rotting flowers without any upkeep. Hope there are allowances to the rule so businesses can clean up during this time. We shall see.Posted Image

-Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#249 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,223 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 10:17 AM

East side made to abide by the looks of it Zombie. :)

West side needs a turn of the tide though. Even from just your final pic it's already apparent how the tubing is bent out of shape. The metal seems to be sturdy enough so those tubes must have been under serious snow for a decent stretch of time.

You'd need some rather heavy machinery to return the arcs to their original curvature. Don't know what sort of rabbit you're going to pull out of your top hat to sort this but, from what you're saying, you'll probably have the time to think things through, given the unfortunate external factors likely to impinge upon your activities.

Remember, health always comes first. Stay safe!

#250 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:06 PM

View PostThorondor, on 24 March 2020 - 10:17 AM, said:

You'd need some rather heavy machinery to return the arcs to their original curvature. Don't know what sort of rabbit you're going to pull out of your top hat to sort this but, from what you're saying, you'll probably have the time to think things through, given the unfortunate external factors likely to impinge upon your activities.

Zombie never ceases to amaze, so... I wouldn't count it out just yet.

Remember, health always comes first. Stay safe!

QFT!

#251 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:58 AM

Yeah, the tubes have a diameter of 2 inches (about 5cm) and pretty sturdy so bending it back into shape would be impossible. Even if you had the equipment to do that, I'm not sure how you would go about it since the tube isn't exactly bent to a specific radius anymore. Posted Image

I didn't have much luck looking for a replacement tube (it's an old greenhouse). I did see an innovative solution - a company is selling a tube bender where you use new EMT electrical conduit (easily sourceable) to bend your own hoops. It's only offered for specific sized greenhouses though so I think I'm out of luck there.

Because the hoop is so out of whack, I think my best bet at this point is to use a 4(inch)x4(inch)x12 foot tall post as the beginning part of the frame on each side. Cut it to length (maybe a bit longer than necessary) cut a V notch into the top, jam that under the tube and sledge the bottom into position. Then I can put a strap around the tube and possibly lag bolt that into the post to keep the top part from shifting around. Once that's in place I can start framing the doors and sides. I have no plan or clue how I'm going to do this, guess I'll just wing it. In the end, I don't think it's critical to have a clear plan at this point as I'll probably end up changing it anyway due to how messed up the tube is.

Note: hindsight is always 20/20, this next part I did before thinking it through. It probably would have been much easier to work on one part of the side at a time but I took the whole shebang down to start out fresh. You live, you learn. Posted Image

DSC09794JPG.jpg

I started by taking down the cross brace from the post to the board above the door, took that down too and the top part of the frame above the door.You can really see how badly the frame around the door is out of plumb - my back of the matchbook calculation is just over 1 inch out for every 2 feet up, since the frame is 11 feet high that's over 6 inches out of plumb which is hard to believe.

I took a couple pics from the outside to hopefully show the severe bend in the hoop:

DSC09795JPG.jpg DSC09796JPG.jpg

I didn't have a bunch of time to work on this though as we are closing early everyday due to the virus thing so I ended up taking down the upper frame and the right door and calling it quits for the day.

DSC09797JPG.jpg

Kind of a mishmash of fasteners used on the frame - phillips screws, flat blade screws, galvanized nails, carriage bolts, lag bolts you name it, so I had nearly every tool in my arsenal outside. Hopefully by starting over fresh I can minimize the variety of fasteners to just phillips screws and lag bolts.

This concluded Monday's work, tomorrow I'll recap Tuesday's work. I'm going to be off by a day for a little bit because I need to wait for the 4x4 posts to arrive and this way I'll have something meaningful to show. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#252 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:34 AM

I think that this pic shows the bend in the hoop probably the best:

DSC09798JPG.jpg

As you can see, the whole West side of the greenhouse is completely gone. Yup, I took the whole shebang down. Had some trouble with the lowest board on each side though. I thought there were only two bolts holding the board to the frame. So after the bolts were out I start pounding on the board with a hammer hoping to dislodge it but it wasn't having any of that - still tight. So I investigated a little bit and found out that there was a bolt under the lowest shelf in the greenhouse which was still attached. Took the shelf off to get better access but the bolt was behind the tubing that holds up the upper shelf. Therefore, to get at that bolt I would have had to loosen up and maybe remove the upper shelf and probably the framing on the lower shelf. Well, that's not gonna happen - way too much work. Partially stuck, I decided to just yank at the board until it finally came loose. I actually broke the bolt off inside the board. The board was kinda crummy anyway with a little rot so I figured I'd replace that while I was at it. There is also a "skirt" board that runs around the greenhouse next to the ground and the two pieces on the west side were moldy and starting to rot so you guessed it, I'll replace that too. After all that mess I had the whole side down.

DSC09799JPG.jpg

Looks kinda strange without anything there now. At least with everything gone it gives the wood on the inside a chance to dry out a little. Underneath the lowest shelf inside the greenhouse were a ton of leaves  and pine needles so I vacuumed them out. And while I was at it, might as well try to vacuum underneath the whole length (at least whatever I could reach without removing the rest of the lower shelves). And hey, might as well vacuum any crap on the ground too (can't have any stones or pebbles present when I put up the top.

DSC09800JPG.jpg

Kind of a good pic as it also shows the lowest board (the thicker one) and the skirt board (the thinner one).

So yesterday I realized I probably shouldn't have taken down the whole side and instead should have took down half of it first so that I wouldn't have to worry about where to put the doors. Luckily though, there were indents in the blacktop from where the frame was so to get an idea where the new posts should go I temporarily put the doors back on the ground and put some concrete blocks on either side to prevent it from tipping/blowing over.

DSC09801JPG.jpg

Now I know where the doors go, it should be a lot easier to install the posts (hopefully we got those today). Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#253 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,223 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 03:54 PM

All bent out of shape redefined, Zombie! :P

And just when the doors were starting to get a little sense of freedom after being stuck there so long you bring them right back to heel. ;)

Well, from your explanation you've sort of got a plan for tackling the new west end; if it survives contact with reality is another matter and I have a feeling you'll have to go through some further hoops still to get it all flush top to bottom.

Hope the weather holds too as the sky is staying gray on your daily snaps.

#254 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:37 AM

View PostThorondor, on 28 March 2020 - 03:54 PM, said:

Well, from your explanation you've sort of got a plan for tackling the new west end; if it survives contact with reality is another matter and I have a feeling you'll have to go through some further hoops still to get it all flush top to bottom.

No doubt, there's always going to bumps and roadblocks to overcome. Hopefully there aren't too many though, I wanna get the repair phase completed and move on to putting on the new top. Posted Image

View PostThorondor, on 28 March 2020 - 03:54 PM, said:

Hope the weather holds too as the sky is staying gray on your daily snaps.

We are stuck in a rut weather-wise it seems. Every day is mostly overcast and no warmer than 5C so it isn't exactly warm. Friday was decent in the afternoon as the sun came out for a little bit, but it went away again and then rained the rest of the day and most of Saturday too. The nice thing though is that it hasn't dipped to freezing for at least a week now. Posted Image

So I'll try and recap the last few days of work. I needed some new lag bolts to replace rusty ones on the greenhouse but I just didn't feel like visiting the hardware store (even if it's still open). Looked through all my drawers of hardware and the greenhouse stuff, but came up empty handed - can't believe we didn't get extra bolts to replace, oh well. I did find a drawer of the bolt type I needed but they were in various degrees of rust/oxidation. What the heck, might as well see if I can wire brush some to see how clean they come.

DSC09802JPG.jpg

On the right side of the white piece of cardboard is the used bolts (which is about as good as they were, most were far worse) and to the left (and above) are the cleaned ones. Not bad, they actually came out pretty shiny (have no idea if they previously had a galvanized coating on them or not, but it's gone now with the wire brushing). Didn't really take too long to clean them either - used the wire cup brush on the drill to speed things up. I also cleaned up a few bolts (old top, cleaned bottom) and they came out pretty good as well (a new bolt from the hardware store is probably gonna cost in the neighborhood of 50-75 cents USD). As a comparison between a cleaned bolt and a new bolt, I placed a new bolt in the cleaned pile. Can you spot it? It's the one with a nut and washer.

I decided to take a short break from working on the outside of the greenhouse and focused on cleaning the inside of it. We had big stack of cardboard flower boxes in there to give back to our suppliers but I doubted that we could do that due to them not delivering and the COVID 19 thing - we have a cardboard recycling dumpster so as a last resort I crushed all them up and put in the dumpster. That made quite a bit of room. I moved all of our planting season tables out too as the time for that is just around the corner. Moved some other things into the small garage for the time being and to finish it all off I vacuumed the whole thing out (vacuuming the cracks is the fastest way to remove pine needles from Christmas - sweeping takes forever).

DSC09803JPG.jpg

Looks darn nice now. Plus it makes it easier to work as I have easy access to everything. Posted Image

Just so happened that the bosses son came to the shop on Friday so I put him to work. We started by bleaching off some of the used slats to reuse. After lunch I decided that it would probably be a perfect excuse to have him help with taking down the remaining plastic top. Good learning experience for him - showed how to use an electric drill (w/jacobs chuck) as a driver for screws and he helped with cutting up the plastic, moving the slats away after they were off and pulling off the Gorilla duct tape I used to secure the top to the structure (can't believe how well the Gorilla tape held during the winter with multiple snowfalls and occasional rain). He couldn't help me all day as he had to eat lunch and go somewhere. I finished the rest of the removal process and started work on the North side of the greenhouse.

DSC09804JPG.jpg

Took off the boards from the structure and leaned them against the small garage - the old ones are going to be replaced as they are full of screw holes and probably don't have much wood preservative left in them anymore. New green treated lumber is rather cheap so it just makes sense to replace stuff when it gets old. The boards sit on hangars attached to the hoops and are affixed with those bolts I cleaned off. Some of the hangars were starting to rust pretty bad and need to be fixed. I did that today between the rain drops - wire brushed off the majority of the loose rust then sprayed them with some rust reformer paint, one coat of primer and a final coat of silver paint to kinda match the tubes. Got that done just in time as it started to rain again in the afternoon. I didn't want to continue working in the rain so I just bleached some used buckets from the cooler to finish the day. I'll be working on affixing the new lumber to the North side on Monday and hopefully get a solid start on the South side. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#255 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:26 AM

HA, I said Zombie will fix it all!

You know, reading all this... makes me kinda want your job. Take it with a grain of salf, but seriously, I'd rather be doing something useful instead of sitting in an office. With work being practically non-existent right now due to corona and all, with bad prospects for an indefinite future as half a state's budget is being funneled into preventing a complete economic collapse.

#256 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 04:21 AM

View PostSpace Voyager, on 30 March 2020 - 07:26 AM, said:

You know, reading all this... makes me kinda want your job. Take it with a grain of salt, but seriously, I'd rather be doing something useful instead of sitting in an office. With work being practically non-existent right now due to corona and all, with bad prospects for an indefinite future as half a state's budget is being funneled into preventing a complete economic collapse.

I don't think I could handle an office job - being cooped up inside all day isn't my cup of tea. As I was leaving work on Saturday I thanked God that I still have a job and that it hasn't been shut down (either voluntary or involuntary). At least I have a source of income yet and I get to do something that is actually fun (for the most part). ;)

So with the North side of the greenhouse mostly finished, it was time to jump over to the South side for a quickie reboot. Here is the hardware for the boards along the top:

DSC09806JPG.jpg DSC09807JPG.jpg

First pic is the hangar wire brushed to remove the majority of the rust. And the second pic is after one coat of rust reformer (if needed), one coat of primer and one coat of aluminum paint. I would have put on two coats of the aluminum paint but the spray nozzle was messed up so I was forced into spraying on one heavy coat instead. I don't think it matters much, at least the metal is protected from the elements again.

For some reason the new boards sat lower on the greenhouse which meant the vertical boards wouldn't fit underneath any more. Something changed and I guessed that maybe the hangars slipped down the hoop pole. Checked the set bolts on the inside and sure enough, a couple were not tight. I ended up loosening each bolt, checked to see if it was level, then re-tightened making sure the vertical boards would fit. When I attached the vertical boards and vertical metal tube supports I also made sure they were plumb and square to the top board (as best as I could at least).

DSC09808JPG.jpg

The last two boards look like a snake as the second to last tube is bent from when the greenhouse collapsed in 2000, but everything is level which is what is important. I kept the closest board in the pic as I replaced that in 2013 and it was in decent shape (a little bit of mold on it, which bleach took care of). This kinda completes the South side. There's a little bit of work to do on the East side yet so I'm planning on doing that tomorrow and perhaps start on the west side. :)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#257 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,223 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:33 AM

Neatness does count, Zombie, and after your "spring cleaning" it looks a world apart from when it was all under snow. :)

Did I hear you mention paint? Yup, twice now, so you're "on thread" again. ;)

The hanger seems well covered to me, despite the minor spraying nozzle hiccup and I suppose you'll live with the undulating boards, all else being mostly straight.

Is it drums and chanting I hear? The natives need to be dancing - in this case so there is no rain downpour in the near future. :P

#258 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:43 AM

Today the sun actually came out in the afternoon which was a welcomed surprise and with it came some slightly warmer temps (maybe 7-8C). The East side of the greenhouse was obviously on the agenda (after taking care of other shop projects). Took a little longer than I anticipated but it still left me time to do other things after the side was done.

DSC09809JPG.jpg

Now in order to see what I did, I'm going to re-up a pic I took on March 18:

DSC09785JPG.jpg

I replaced the horizontal board that attaches to the frame of the door. Had to cut that to fit, bolted it to the hangar on the far left and screwed to the door frame. I also removed a metal support tube (now there is only one on each side of the door. There was a vertical wood board on each side of the door which (in the distant past) had two blower motors attached to it (the sides of the greenhouse used to be separate from the top - the sides were a series of plastic tubes which when inflated with air from a blower motor would rise). Since we haven't used that type of side in eons, I cut the boards down to fit between the top and bottom horizontal boards and moved them closer to the frame to act as an extra support. Both sides of the door got this treatment. It's really quite amazing how much that stiffened up this side of the greenhouse (the North and South sides are also nice and stiff). :)

Suppose I should mention some things in the first pic. On the left is a plastic pail which I use as a generic toolbox of sorts. Anything I take off the greenhouse - be it screws, bolts, hardware etc is deposited into the bucket so that it doesn't get lost or misplaced. Every other day or so I clean the bucket out, sort out the screws, bolts and whatever else I find and toss out anything that is rusty or bent. Tools also go in there - to the right of the bucket is a small plastic container where I keep my deepwell sockets for the ratchet, and in back of the pail is a pouch of combination box wrenches (spanners as you brits call it). On the right side of the doors is a teal blue metal box with my drill bits, the fluorescent green thing is a plastic level and behind that is the drill. I replaced a horizontal board in that area today so that's why the stuff is on that side. Posted Image

With the East side complete it's finally time to start work on the West side. I just realized today that I don't have to worry about recreating the side from memory or pictures, I can just use the East side doors as a template which should save a heap of time. My first job is to start on the frame of the doors, specifically on the boards that run up to the hoop. Because I'm switching to 4x4 posts the connection point between the tube and the wood is going to be different than before. I decided to use the normal method of cutting a V notch in the top of the post but modified to a U shape at the bottom instead. First try didn't work very well, second try was better but too wide so third times the charm I guess? Will continue working on that tomorrow - my hope is to get the posts installed. Once they are in place then things should start to fall into place quickly. Probably will encounter some problems but it shouldn't be too bad. Gotta be optimistic. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#259 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,223 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:25 AM

Looks sturdy enough alright, Zombie. Posted Image

The greater proximity of the boards is going to matter as it reinforces support and should further prevent bending from structural stress over time once the new top is in place.

I do notice a couple of things, though - on your first pic there's a rather significant gap underneath the left half of the door, and there's also the plastic panelling, which is fraying on the bottom half of the same side.

Greenhouses are mainly supposed to provide environmental insulation after all. Posted Image

#260 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:44 PM

View PostThorondor, on 02 April 2020 - 10:25 AM, said:

I do notice a couple of things, though - on your first pic there's a rather significant gap underneath the left half of the door, and there's also the plastic panelling, which is fraying on the bottom half of the same side.

Greenhouses are mainly supposed to provide environmental insulation after all. Posted Image

The gap isn't too significant, but I will see what I can come up with for a fix - maybe I can screw a piece of wood on to the door. As for the fraying plastic paneling on the outside, I have a piece of plastic stapled on the inside to prevent the cold from getting in. ;)

If it ever dips to freezing or even a couple degrees above we will bring all the flowers into the small garage, large garage, back room and sometimes even the store. Usually what is in the greenhouse can take a little bit of cold. I usually bring in a small electric overnight to provide some warmth if it gets to freezing. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users