Time to work on the inside of the greenhouse a little bit. Annuals and perennials will be arriving soon enough and I need to start setting things up for them. It's been chilly (but not freezing) here for the last week but inside the greenhouse it can get quite balmy if the sun is out and the doors closed (it helps I patched up all the tears as well).
So where do I start? The tables need a refresh badly. I stained them approximately 7 years ago and then put on a coat of clear marine grade spar polyurethane. Unfortunately that polyurethane didn't hold up and started chipping off taking the stain along with it in spots. It's not terrible, just very unsightly. First pic is from the center of the greenhouse and the second is the south side.
Why didn't I take a pic of the north side tables? They are very old and unpainted and will be replaced after the planting season is over. As you can see, the tables aren't terrible. The south side tables have a lot of cracking on them though (middle tables not so much because I replaced the tops in 2013-ish). And these pics are after scraping & wire brushing. Any big cracks are just on the first layer of plywood which can be repaired after priming.
The first goal is to cover the bare spots of wood. The second goal is to encapsulate any remaining loose clear polyurethane/stain. The third goal is to fill those small cracks and checks in the wood. That sounds like a job for my favorite latex primer. I have about a half a gallon (so 2 liters) left of the plain white primer, but I'm going to hold on to that for other projects. Instead, I got a brand new gallon tinted to a light grey. That should help with coverage issues. Some of the tables really didn't need much primer as the surface was sound, but I needed to fill in those small cracks which meant piling it on and sweeping the paint into the cracks leaving the rest of the surface a little "hazy" with only a very light coat. When I finished priming all the tables, I went back and brushed on another coat on the first table on the south side and the two closer tables in the middle (the ones on the left) before I ran out of time.
Pretty happy with the results to say the least. If I have time tomorrow, I'll put on another coat of primer on the other tables. Also those large cracks and checks need to be caulked which I may not get to due to the weather being cloudy (which means no excess heat in there except for residual heat from the ground).
I purchased two gallons of old (circa 2012) reddish floor polyurethane for nearly 50% off to use as a first coat (same type of paint I used on the back cooler floor and table in the back room except in a reddish). It's a win-win for both of us. The paint store is able to reduce it's inventory on rarely used items, and I get a quantity of paint to use for a steal. There's nothing wrong with it either - I had them shake it up and there were no skins at all. So I'll be using that for a first coat and touch-up. I purchased another newer gallon which I had color matched to the current color of the table tops to use as a final coat. Not sure when the final coat would be applied, but I assume I'll do that after I get the new table tops on the north side cut to size and primed maybe in late June-early July.