123 replies to this topic

#121 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:29 AM

Time to work on the inside of the greenhouse a little bit. Annuals and perennials will be arriving soon enough and I need to start setting things up for them. It's been chilly (but not freezing) here for the last week but inside the greenhouse it can get quite balmy if the sun is out and the doors closed (it helps I patched up all the tears as well). Posted Image

So where do I start? The tables need a refresh badly. I stained them approximately 7 years ago and then put on a coat of clear marine grade spar polyurethane. Unfortunately that polyurethane didn't hold up and started chipping off taking the stain along with it in spots. It's not terrible, just very unsightly. First pic is from the center of the greenhouse and the second is the south side.

2019-04-18 135007.jpg 2019-04-18 135016.jpg

Why didn't I take a pic of the north side tables? They are very old and unpainted and will be replaced after the planting season is over. As you can see, the tables aren't terrible. The south side tables have a lot of cracking on them though (middle tables not so much because I replaced the tops in 2013-ish). And these pics are after scraping & wire brushing. Any big cracks are just on the first layer of plywood which can be repaired after priming.

The first goal is to cover the bare spots of wood. The second goal is to encapsulate any remaining loose clear polyurethane/stain. The third goal is to fill those small cracks and checks in the wood. That sounds like a job for my favorite latex primer. I have about a half a gallon (so 2 liters) left of the plain white primer, but I'm going to hold on to that for other projects. Instead, I got a brand new gallon tinted to a light grey. That should help with coverage issues. Some of the tables really didn't need much primer as the surface was sound, but I needed to fill in those small cracks which meant piling it on and sweeping the paint into the cracks leaving the rest of the surface a little "hazy" with only a very light coat. When I finished priming all the tables, I went back and brushed on another coat on the first table on the south side and the two closer tables in the middle (the ones on the left) before I ran out of time.Posted Image

2019-04-18 153653.jpg 2019-04-18 153712.jpg

Pretty happy with the results to say the least. If I have time tomorrow, I'll put on another coat of primer on the other tables. Also those large cracks and checks need to be caulked which I may not get to due to the weather being cloudy (which means no excess heat in there except for residual heat from the ground).Posted Image

I purchased two gallons of old (circa 2012) reddish floor polyurethane for nearly 50% off to use as a first coat (same type of paint I used on the back cooler floor and table in the back room except in a reddish). It's a win-win for both of us. The paint store is able to reduce it's inventory on rarely used items, and I get a quantity of paint to use for a steal. There's nothing wrong with it either - I had them shake it up and there were no skins at all. So I'll be using that for a first coat and touch-up. I purchased another newer gallon which I had color matched to the current color of the table tops to use as a final coat. Not sure when the final coat would be applied, but I assume I'll do that after I get the new table tops on the north side cut to size and primed maybe in late June-early July. :)

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#122 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,640 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:49 AM

Don't take your eyes off him, ladies and gentlemen, or you'll bat an eyelash only to discover having been restored yourselves! Posted Image

Yep, Zombie, you're at it again, undoing the effects of aging, turning the unsightly to the polished, scraping, brushing, coating all the while keeping costs in check. Posted Image

Looking at the pics, you've made some really nice progress on paint alone, but I concur some cracks here and there are nastier, so I look forward to another adept demonstration of your caulking kung-fu. Posted Image

#123 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:40 AM

View PostThorondor, on 19 April 2019 - 11:49 AM, said:

Looking at the pics, you've made some really nice progress on paint alone, but I concur some cracks here and there are nastier, so I look forward to another adept demonstration of your caulking kung-fu. Posted Image

Ask and ye shall receive! :)

2019-04-19 141252.jpg 2019-04-19 141242.jpg

I started off by priming everything again. All those hairline cracks are really annoying because they don't fill in decently. I did cram as much paint as I could into them but they came back after it dried. I'm hoping I got enough into the cracks to coat the inside because then I could just pile on multiple coats of the red polyurethane to fill them up. There were just too many small cracks to try and caulk - it would take too much caulk and take way too much time. You have to know when to say "when". Posted Image

For the center tables I caulked the bigger cracks, any knots and the screw holes. I really should have counter sank the screws when I installed the top, but I was under pressure to get the tables done. Oh well, gotta leave something for the next guy to do. Posted Image

For the south tables I did the same thing, but the tops are secured with carriage bolts so I tried my best to caulk any of them which were below the surface of the wood. You can see the big long crack I caulked in the first table which turned out great. If you look to the left of that big crack you can see where I attempted to fill in some of the smaller cracks with caulk. While that worked, it just wasn't cost effective. Really, I'd need some thicker type of product which I could apply with a squeegee or broad knife. I'll have to think on that a bit.

I was able to do this work because the sun came out which helped to dry stuff quicker. Unfortunately I couldn't do any more painting because I had other jobs which I wanted to finish while the weather was somewhat nice (sunny, cool and windy). I made serious progress on that so now I have a little breathing room which I could dedicate to putting a first coat on. Depends on how busy it is on Saturday, and I can't do anything Sunday because it's Easter. Posted Image

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#124 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,640 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:35 AM

Suffice it to say you've still got the moves, and they be smooth, Zombie. :)

Seeing those cracks reappear after applying paint can get under one's skin sometimes :P so it's good you have the ability to know when to call it enough, devoting the time instead to further other more worthy pursuits.

Besides, I'm pretty confident you'll find the right way to make those slight imperfections you mention become downright negligible down the line.

Master of the Long Tables, thy return shall be awaited! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users