SupSuper

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:29 PM

Started seeing these lately as well:

Posted Image

This has become extremely aggravating for me since the wiki is very important for OpenXcom as well as other sites Jo5hua hosts, but sadly haven't gotten any reply from him as well. If there's any way to move the website without him please do so.

I can vouch for NineX as he has been hosting X-COM fan websites for years, like UFO:AI and OpenXcom, and he's always proven to be reliable and reachable all the way through. PM me if you need his contact.

#22 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:43 AM

Hey folks. Got in touch with Pete, but no progress to report about contacting Jo5hua at this stage.

I'm heavily leaning towards a Plan B as well, but I'm wondering how we're going to retrieve the content with our host in absentia.

- NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#23 Hobbes

Hobbes

Peace through superior hairdos!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:34 PM

Jo5hua replied to me today saying: "wait for me ill fix the site"

EDIT: I talked more to him today, he says he'll give full server access. I mentioned that we are considering alternative hosting options, but the main issue still seems to be that we need someone who has the availability to do at least some maintenance
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#24 magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:09 AM

I just managed to get in. We really do need a more attentive admin, though; this was allowed to go on far longer than would be sensible.

#25 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:24 PM

Hurray! I'm finally logged in too! :)

It was a long three months though. :(

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#26 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:13 AM

Based on past experience, I'm not overly optimistic everything's back to normal yet. Just wish there was a bit more communication as to what is happening.

- NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#27 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:46 AM

View PostNKF, on 23 October 2017 - 04:13 AM, said:

Based on past experience, I'm not overly optimistic everything's back to normal yet.

Likewise. Actually, when I was logged in and looked at the recent changes page earlier, it glitched out and was unformatted. Dunno if it was my machine which is to blame, so I'm tossing it out here just in case anyone else experiences an unformatted page.

View PostNKF, on 23 October 2017 - 04:13 AM, said:

Just wish there was a bit more communication as to what is happening.

I'd be happy with a "Just fixed a problem with X, everything should be running fine now" post. A little transparency would go a long way to easing any tensions. Right now it's like a "black box". ;)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,

#28 magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:04 AM

I got some unformatted pages, but my internet entire was glitchy at the time so IDK.

#29 AMX

AMX

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:03 PM

Haven't seen any unformatted pages today, but some HTTP 500 errors.
I'm pretty sure there's still something wrong. Posted Image

#30 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:01 AM

Hey folks, quick update.

Had an e-mail from Pete and he has managed to make contact with Jo5hua. It appears the reason we've been unable to contact Jo5hua was largely in part thanks to hurricane Irma. That does help put some context to why it's been difficult to contact him. Fingers crossed he will be back on board soon.

-NKF

#31 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:12 PM

That's understandable.

Doesn't explain the absence before the hurricane struck though.;)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#32 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:31 PM

Wiki has gone offline today again. I talked to Jo5hua about a week ago and he brought it up online but it is already experiencing issues.

He gave me access to the server so that we now can think about a permanent solution to all these issues.

#33 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:24 PM

It seems UFOPaedia is back online today.

With over a year gone since it has been hosted in Jo5hua's forums, I think I have a good idea of what to expect at this point if it continues to be hosted by him. He doesn't have time or the motivation to be a proper admin, and there will always be a reason for things not to happen (hurricanes, etc.)

So, it's either the current situation, or move it to another server (I can ask NineX, who is currently hosting the OpenXCom site and forums) but there will still be a need for someone to step up and be in charge of the UFOPaedia.

What do you all say?

#34 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:00 PM

I say we can trust in Hobbes
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#35 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:13 AM

View PostHobbes, on 29 October 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

So, it's either the current situation, or move it to another server (I can ask NineX, who is currently hosting the OpenXCom site and forums) but there will still be a need for someone to step up and be in charge of the UFOPaedia.

What do you all say?

Hmmm. Well, the server which the wiki is on now is stable and hasn't caused any problems right? It's the wiki software which probably isn't playing nice. But if the problem is having an admin around to fix any issues which crop up then switching to a different server isn't going to fix that. If I'm understanding this correctly, then moving wouldn't do any good (and will probably cause more downtime in the switchover). Posted Image

So the question is: is Jo5hua's server stable and reliable in the long term? If it is, I'd say stick with that. If he can't guarantee any type of server (not wiki) maintenance to keep the wiki accessible, then I'd opt for NineX as long as someone here (and preferably more than one) has access to the part of the server which the wiki is stored on. Posted Image Can you ask about that Hobbes?

Then of course we'd have to deal with getting someone to admin the software side. That's kinda the bigger issue we have right now.

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#36 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:20 PM

View PostZombie, on 30 October 2017 - 03:13 AM, said:

So the question is: is Jo5hua's server stable and reliable in the long term? If it is, I'd say stick with that.

In the long term, I expect the same experience as in the past twelve or more months that the wiki has been hosted on Jo5hua's.

If he can't guarantee any type of server (not wiki) maintenance to keep the wiki accessible, then I'd opt for NineX as long as someone here (and preferably more than one) has access to the part of the server which the wiki is stored on. Posted Image Can you ask about that Hobbes?

Jo5hua already gave me access to the server and I had already asked NineX to make a mirror since someone suggested it and I have no idea of those things. If you want access just PM me.

Then of course we'd have to deal with getting someone to admin the software side. That's kinda the bigger issue we have right now.

- Zombie

Yap

#37 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:40 PM

UFOPaedia went down on Monday, I messaged Jo5hua about it and he fixed it yesterday, then today it is offline again

I've basically had enough of these outages, they make it nearly impossible to reliably work/edit on the wiki since you never know when it might break down. Jo5hua is interested in traffic/SEOs but I told him that this is conflicting with our need to have a stable site for work and gameplay.

So, today I've told Jo5hua that we are moving to another hosting solution, already offered by NineX, which already hosts the OpenXCom site and forums (but not the mod site, which is also hosted by Jo5hua and also suffers from technical issues).

I also feel that joining the UFOPaedia.org to OpenXCom makes sense in the long term since it is a great project and has a large community of XCom fans involved. And it's more likely that someone will want to pick up the project and give it some long needed love.

#38 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:28 PM

No argument from me - I think that will be a good move. It seems OpenXcom is where most of the community activity is at these days for the classic games so having the two hosted together isn't a bad idea.

- NKF

#39 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:26 PM

3 days ago, I have messaged Jo5hua over Skype concerning the server move and he transferring the domain rights and until now I haven't gotten an answer.

I've messaged him again today, asking for the domain rights and I also told him that if he doesn't reply, then we'll just go with the move, get a new domain, and ask all the XCom sites to update their links. This is not the ideal solution for the issue but if he ignores me, then I'd rather have a working wiki elsewhere than to keep a situation that has a lot of technical/security issues just because of the traffic it generates.

I will post more as the situation develops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users