Useful armor-changing bug (for off-base troops)

In case anybody didn't already know about this, just happened to notice last night, that its possible to change (or remove altogether) the kind of armor worn by a soldier whilst they are off base, such as when about to arrive at a mission site, so one can take advantage of that last, freshly finished set of mag ion armor to replace the armor of some trooper still stuck in aqua-plastic armor etc.)

All that needs to be done is to view the aquanaut in question through the base aquanaut tab and select the armor from there, this is obviously an oversight, but can be used to change the kind of armor a soldier is wearing, even after they have already taken off for a mission.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hehe, I remember telling this to Stun Grenade (member) over MSN Messenger years ago. It's a fun little trick to use, especially if you forgot to equip your troops back at base, or your engineers are manufacturing armor and a suit becomes available when your ship is en route. ;)

- Zombie

Speaking of strange bugs, I bet you no one's tried this. Try loading an empty save-slot. You'll end up with no bases anywhere on the globe, but still able to build buildings in base view. I never tried to send an interceptor out to see what will happen, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be good.

Speaking of strange bugs, I bet you no one's tried this. Try loading an empty save-slot. You'll end up with no bases anywhere on the globe, but still able to build buildings in base view. I never tried to send an interceptor out to see what will happen, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be good.

Actually, I vaguely recall once doing that (or at least doing something that results in starting without a visible base). IIRC the Interceptor glitches, teleporting all over the globe all the time.

You can achieve something along these lines in UFO if you were to select one base and then load a game that doesn't have a base in that slot. The base screen will be a copy of the base you just looked at, though you'll be missing ships and soldiers. You can transfer what was in storage to other bases. I haven't checked, but it might work if you were to start a new game after selecting base slots 2 through 8.

This has been fixed in TFTD.

- NKF