Unrecoverable magnetic navigation?

Tsathoggua

Title is pretty much what it sounds like.

Far into the game (multiple bases, MC generators, experienced MC troops, but one thing is holding me back.

I just CAN'T recover magnetic navigation. They aren't coming back, even after taking down a ship intact, or leading a raid on a sub thats set down of its own accord. Taking the ship out with minimal damage (alright, maybe there are entry holes blasted in the walls, but no corresponding wreckage of equipment and installations within the ship, taking down every crew member alive, or for the ones that would just clog up containment, engaging up close and personal with vibroblades, thermic lance, heavy thermic lance and shock prods, stun launchers and nothing else, unless its a point-blank shot.

Think the game has gotten bugged somehow, anybody know any nifty hex editing tricks to add it (and the examination room) to inventory? because the damned things just aren't coming back, not one in almost an in-game year, not from bases, ships, nothing. Something needs to be done about it, and not above cheating in this case since otherwise it won't be possible to develop the ships, or displacer tanks, and the former you can't succeed without.

It's probably X-COM Util messing with things. If you want to add Mag Navigation/Exam Rooms to your stores it's fairly straight forward. Head on over to the BASE.DAT (TFTD) page on the wiki which shows all the offsets etc. I make no guarantees that this will solve your problem though. ;)

- Zombie

You could also try Jenny's X-com Editor if hex editing seems a bit bit daunting. It's quite comprehensive and works for both UFO and TFTD.Also I'm deliberately plugging one of our files here. wink.png

https://www.strategyc...s/x-com-editor/

Now, just to be clear:

1. Do you mean Magnetic Navigation is not showing up in research, or it's just not showing up in stores? Check the buy/sell/transfer screens to be sure.

2. If it's not showing up in research, have you patched TFTD with the v2 update?

The reason I ask whether or not you have the V2 update is because Magnetic Navigation had its research requirements tweaked in the patch. In the unpatched copy, you need a Lobsterman Navigator to be interrogated first. With the v2 patch you can research Magnetic Navigation as soon as you have one in stores.

If you're just not recovering any in the base stores - the editor's your solution.

- NKF

• 3 weeks later...
Eventually recovered a couple, one off a parked battleship/dreadnought that decided its crew needed to go bust a fudge. Only to get mindraped by the psyker team and wiped out utterly. And again from a cruiser. Although the former WANTED to land, the cruiser got a brace of pulsewave torpedoes jammed up its backside, and on arriving the hull was cracked open like courtenay love on her back in front of her family dog.

Didn't realize chlamydia was considered lethal......a;yjough fulminant superinfections are a hallmark of HIV run rampant........wink.png

And never knew that. Crazy fucking bitch. No wonder Kurt (RIP) blew his brains out. Who wouldn't, getting stuck with something like her. Although if anybody hurt any pet of mine, they'd have far worse than a guy with a shotgun to deal with, I'd be neither so quick about it or so merciful. Something like mercuric chloride slowly administered under the driver side doorhandle of their vehicle, so as to slowly cripple them (although I don't have much left...maybe something cheaper:P and no I don't use it for poisoning people:P used to use it for amalgam reductions, until I switched to borohydride or nickel boride and catalytic hydrogenation. So much less slops to deal with after, no toxic waste and SO much easier to work up my projects afterwards), leaving them a wheelchair bound, mentally wrecked heap of incontinent human trash for the rest of their lives would be more like it. I'm an animal lover at heart (not much of a dog person, but thats more them just not being my sort of companion, I have taken one in before when it was in need, after some prick just threw it out on the streets all day, something like a rottweiler or dobermann (which one of those is it that has the slim build? one of those) and left it to fend for itself. So I ended up dognapping the pooch in question, named the dog after one of my personal heroes, Alexander 'sasha' Shulgin (gods if any be, rest his soul. Amazing man, and amazing chemist.) One of those few people in history I'd truly love to have had the chance to have lunch with and talk shop with. Shulgin, Tesla, Einstein, Humphry Davy, Lise Meitner, the Curies, Faraday....

I reckon me and Tesla would have had some right fun. I find it hilarious how he had an 'oops' moment, and blew out the power station. Reminds me of me as a kid, did the same to the household electricity supply after constructing my first electrolytic sodium cell and hacking a plug. Lets just say my mother never saw a particular flower vase ever again. The pieces of it were surreptitiously removed from the house and dumped. At least the bits that were big enough to see with the naked eye. Can't remember how old I was but somewhere between 7-10 or so. I can still remember standing from a long distance away and pushing the power switch on with a broomhandle, as well as the deafening cracking report coming out of my room, and my folks shouting up 'are you alright up there??' when the power went off, and my shouting back 'fine, why? what just happened?

As if I didn't know perfectly well what happened, unless a direct to mains with just rectification hacked power input to the vase and the fuse in the plug replaced by a slug of cast lead melted with my blowtorch into a rough fuse shape and whacked in with a hammer, with a funnily close association temporally speaking to the electrics getting fried, plus the bang like a sonic pulser going off was just co-incidence....made the windows rattle that did. Glad I wasn't too close to that..turns out you can make quite a mess with a tall vase full of molten caustic soda, a couple of carbon rods and direct mains voltage input, hehe.

If aliens ever DID invade...they'll have picked the wrong place for a terror site if it was round here :P

And of course my skills have improved a lot since my preteen days. I might not be able to take people's bodies over with my mind psionically, but I can sure induce panic with it :D