9 replies to this topic

#1 laclongquan

laclongquan

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

I tried installing with 3.93 but the 3.50-3.93 mod report file missing so can not proceed. Only the 3.50 file run normally.

Fisk that! I will run with 3.5 then.

Wish me luck!

#2 laclongquan

laclongquan

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:36 PM

Hard difficulty.

1st thing 1st, I check my roster of soldiers. They need to have average stat of 40 at least. I kick out half the current roster and hire 6 more. Need several restart to have it enough like that because man, several run I got about 1 decent in the whole roster.
In Hire section, set everything to 35, then check each stat at 45. Got them gems that way.
Rename them a bit Role-Personal name.
I got a few scout with high AGI and high reaction. 3 personal shield each.
Sniper with high Shooting
Flanker with good reaction. They are the main shooters and grenadiers.

1st battle the shields burn out to the last but in return noone die. This prove benefit of the expense because they used to die like flies on me.

#3 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:45 AM

Heh, I've also recently started to replay this, but without this mod, when I tried to install everything there is on his site, the game was crashing all the time so I didn't bother anymore. And I very hate that early mechanic with UFO detection.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 laclongquan

laclongquan

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

Other than the snafu of 3.5-3.9 update and 3.93, there's no bug.

NOTE: ufo-scene.com is dead for a while now and internet archive doesnt save its content. No dedicated saved data collection for this game. Too Sad.

#5 laclongquan

laclongquan

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:53 PM

I note that the appearance of new class of alien ship might be research related. I put in the research for alien scout ship and two Fighter appear. I doubt laser is the cause.

In that case it might be good idea to postpone alien ship until we got good troops and good guns.

#6 laclongquan

laclongquan

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

Pass about ten battle, I think. And confirm a few things about UFO ET I suspected in the past

- The game is not about tactical so much as horror. You never know when some alien monstrosity gonna throw a green gas grenade at your feet and knock you down. Even if you purposeful build up scout unit with AP, it's still no sure tactic to prevent that shit. And I am pretty weak against horror.

- The setting of a strange, unknown alien world make sure that players dont care about setting. No hook at all. No familiar names like Martian locations in UFO Afterlight. No fixed characters. No quest. No events. No even the different regions in the world. The RPG elements are very light. This is a bad thing.

I am by no means sure that I can continue much more.

#7 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

Enable Pure Evil AI settings from BMan mod and watch aliens use squad sight and start chucking grenades with laser guided orbital station. That and wait until Destroyers arrive.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 laclongquan

laclongquan

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:26 PM

I am not saying it's easy or anything. I am still right after research Live Chaser/alien, so it's beginning. I have no issue with gameplay.

The theme though, it's more horror than tactical combat (aka action), so I might give up at that. I am weak at horror environment.

The slippery feeling of having nothing to care about also enhance that effect.

Replay Aftershock at hardest difficulty is an option. As I dont feel XCOM Long War has that much draw.

We shall have to see.

#9 laclongquan

laclongquan

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:54 PM

Do another three ground battles after my first mini swarm I think. There's a scout ufo with red light.

In order to prevent horror moment, I devote my scouts' AP to advance 2/3 or 3/4 then return with zero AP. Let flankers or snipers unit get to where they are to provide auto fire.

Horror moment define as an alien pop out where there are none before, but probabbly just a broken wall/door on the upper floor. There is absolutely no sign at all that there's one there, since we can not even seen the outline of next floor easily.

#10 laclongquan

laclongquan

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:23 AM

The horror elements are reduced somewhat with new scout tactic: runforward 2/3 and return. Advance flankers and snipers to cover scouts.

But well, nothing to care about.  The swarm of UFO appear. If advantageous, my squadron engages, and then investigate the ruins. If too dangerous, stay put.

If you balance well the production workshop you dont have to worry about engineer's payroll and can pay for a bit of scientists.

Plasma research allow selling pistol and rifles, thus raising income, and therefore can build more hangar at satellite bases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users