X-Com Collector's Edition... Apocalypse help?

spyrer

Okay, here's the scoop. Like another poster, I have a g-force/nvidia video card. When I hit the install button for Apocalypse, I get a screen full of colorful junk. I have already disabled directdraw acceleration under directx, but it doesn't seem to help. What can I do?

Okay, well I managed to overcome the install screen problem. I can see everything just fine. However, now I have two new problems.

The first error tells me I need to adjust my files/buffers from 40/0 to 20/20. Can anyone tell me how to do this in windows 2000?

The second problem concerns my CD-ROM, which the installer says is too slow. That is not true... my cd-rom is pretty darn good.

Please help me, 'cuz I badly want to play some apocalypse! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

40/40 should be okay, and probably a lot better than 20/20 (at least, with todays computers). That's what I have, and it works just fine.

What you have is 40/0. It's the '0' it's complaining about.

Add or edit the following lines in your config.sys file.

FILES=40

BUFFERS=40

FILES=n just means that dos can open n files at a time and buffers... Blast! I've forgotten. Something about buffering 40 pieces of information in memory at a time or other.

If it still complains, just set the values to 20 and it'll shut the installer up.

As for the speed of your CD-rom, I think the installer just cannot keep up with the speed and is getting a divide by zero error or somesuch. You can safely ignore it.

- NKF

• 4 years later...