X-Com Collector's Edition... Apocalypse help?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spyrer

spyrer

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 04:08 AM

Okay, here's the scoop. Like another poster, I have a g-force/nvidia video card. When I hit the install button for Apocalypse, I get a screen full of colorful junk. I have already disabled directdraw acceleration under directx, but it doesn't seem to help. What can I do?

#2 spyrer

spyrer

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 05:09 AM

Okay, well I managed to overcome the install screen problem. I can see everything just fine. However, now I have two new problems.

The first error tells me I need to adjust my files/buffers from 40/0 to 20/20. Can anyone tell me how to do this in windows 2000?

The second problem concerns my CD-ROM, which the installer says is too slow. That is not true... my cd-rom is pretty darn good.

Please help me, 'cuz I badly want to play some apocalypse! :D

#3 Demota

Demota

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 01:53 AM

How did you overcome the first problem? I've been having the same issue.

#4 Newbreed

Newbreed

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 02:47 PM

Go into your sys.config file and you should see a line saying Buffers= 40.
Just change it to 20, save and restart your computer.

#5 Demota

Demota

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 04:52 PM

Thanks!

#6 Demota

Demota

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 12:16 AM

..... argh. Well, I tried running the game, and the graphics are still garbled. Looks like changing the buffers didn't help. Anyone else know how to fix this?

#7 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 12:21 AM

40/40 should be okay, and probably a lot better than 20/20 (at least, with todays computers). That's what I have, and it works just fine.

What you have is 40/0. It's the '0' it's complaining about.

Add or edit the following lines in your config.sys file.

FILES=40
BUFFERS=40

FILES=n just means that dos can open n files at a time and buffers... Blast! I've forgotten. Something about buffering 40 pieces of information in memory at a time or other.

If it still complains, just set the values to 20 and it'll shut the installer up.

As for the speed of your CD-rom, I think the installer just cannot keep up with the speed and is getting a divide by zero error or somesuch. You  can safely ignore it.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#8 Zolokhan

Zolokhan

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:29 AM

i too have been having garbled colors .. would this buffer thing work on XP maybe ? and if so how would i change it ?

( eek my computer semi-illiteracy is showing .... i have no shame)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users