SVGA

Lonestar

For some unknown reason X-Com UFO Defense and Terror From the Deep work perfectly on my Windows Milliennium Edition, (except for a crash every once in a while) but Apocalypse does not work at all on it. When I try to play it it says something like "Apocalypse was forced to stop because your SVGA card either is not working correctly or it is not there."

So what is a SVGA card and how do fix this problem?

VGA - Video Graphics Array.

SVGA - Super VGA. Has much higher resolutions than the VGA. Must be accessed via a graphics driver of some sort, whereas VGA normally doesn't need one.

The dos versions of UFO and TFTD use a VGA mode (mode-13h) that comes standard with almost all video cards, whereas Apocalypse uses the SVGA, which isn't as widely supported.

A lot of new video cards don't seem to want to support some of the old SVGA modes anymore. Beats me why they don't want a bit of downward compatibility.

The only advice I can give is to update your video card drivers or look for a SVGA emulator. Or, look for an older video card, such as an s3 Virge or s3 Trio, or maybe even a Voodoo 2 Rush. Although replacing a video card just to play one game is a little silly if you ask me. :D

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...