Apoc Sound: Poor Quality

Psy Guy

When install the game it can easly detect the sound card and the sound test is fine (the syron sounds kinda odd). When i start the game the intro is kinda laggy and the sound is jumpy. But sometimes the sound works fine. When i play the game the sound seems ok (i guess) and the sound in battle work ok. When i save the game sometimes the sound stops. Other times its very off and kind of staticie. Does anyone know why this happens and can someone tell me how to fix it.

-PSY GUY- :D

• 8 months later...

The jerky sound in the introduction is a problem with the player for the introduction animation. It even stutters when you copy the animation to the harddrive so that it can access the file much faster.

The setup program doesn't always autodetect the best soundcard settings for your computer. You might want to manually set the soundcard yourself until you can get one that sounds just right.

- NKF

Now, I have some special tools to hand and I can run the animation FINe outside of the game.

It's actually a problem with the animation program like NKF says, and the program is way out of date (no kidding).

Here's the challenge to all you technical experts out there - If I tell you where to download the updated version of the animation player and the location of the animation player in the Apocalypse directory on your hard drive, can you work out how to reconstruct the additional flags that get it to check for the CD drive autiomatically and play the animation intro?

Since challenges are good, here is where you can download the animation utilities: https://www.radgametools.com/smkdown.htm - download Rad Video Tools at the top of the page.

Now... the location of the animation player on your hard drive is in the UFOEXE folder. The file is SMKP.exe

In your newly downloaded Rad Video Tools folder, there are severl programs that run Smacker (.smk) files. If you double click on one of the game movies on your CD then it'll use one of these to play it, so there's your program.

Now as Apoc is DOS based, I reckon that smackply.exe is the file that you'll need to tinker with to get this to work.

Now all you need to do is find out what's so different about smkp.exe and sort it out from there :D Not a load of help I know, but I only do web design!