Examination Room

Jake Gaston

Hello,

Does anyone know for sure if there is any way to get to research Examination Room in TFTD?

I thought I had read somewhere that you could get this item by researching a live Aquatoid Medic, but the Ufopedia website mentions it is only available through hacking, and the main FAQ (Kuo-Sheng) doesn't even mention this item. On the online Ufopedia at CSignal.Org, the item's full descript is available. Is there a patch that fix this issue of non-availability?

https://ufopedia.csignal.org/usopedia/Examination%20Room.html

Thanks!

Sadly even though they do exist as bits of scenery in the battlescape, the game converts them into Alien Implanters at mission completion so there's no proper way to obtain them in-game. I don't think the programmers wanted you to access them. They're basically cut from the game, but a lot of the residual data like the ufopedia entries and item table slots are still there.

Casey Chang's USG is one of the earliest TFTD FAQs to come out, However it stopped being updated a very long time ago (1995 I think) so it will be a bit sparse on some information such as the above.

- NKF

Aquatoid Medic can get you any aliens you haven't managed to get alive (most don't bother collecting a live Tentaculat, for instance*, and Xarquid/Triscenes are notoriously rare) but not sub components. Those you have to get intact, and there aren't any components that are collected as Examination Room (I think the visuals for the sub components got shuffled around at the last minute, because the visuals listed in the UFOpedia for a given component do not correspond to the objects on the Battlescape that actually return that component).

*While it's harder than Chryssalids in UFO, you can capture a live Tentaculat safely. An aborted mission is the most obvious (raiding a colony, for instance), but you can also seal off an alcove (like those in the Infamous Room) with a Displacer to prevent the Tentaculat getting out if it wakes up.

Ah well, I have found this thread on another forum that posted pictures on what values to edit in an hex editor to get the Examination Room, but alas the files seem no longer available. If anyone has ideas, I'm curious.

https://www.xcomufo.c...topic=242028836

EDIT: I presume it wouldn't be that complicated to create an unofficial patch that would make the Examination Room available in the original Terror From The Deep. But I could be wrong.

I've collected many live Tentaculats. It's rather easy in the Colony mission, you just have to send someone sneaking all around when you see one from afar, but they have to be in those little rooms with triangular enclosements. If there are in a place where they can go to the floor above, it's very hard, you stand back and wait that they show up again (or use a Thermal Bomb, and risk sending yourself to sleep). I've seen many Triscenes, mostly in the Terror Port missions and on the Cargo Ships, but I've only seen 2 Xarquids, both on the Cargo Ships. I need a live copy of both.

I have a hard time meeting a Heavy Cruiser (the sub). I wonder if it's because they only appear as Cruiser on the map and I don't pay attention (or I sent a sub to down them but don't bother visit because I've done too much of the smaller Cruiser and at this point, I'm doing T'leth at any moment, just looking out for the final Research items (a couple live aliens and Examination Room, if possible) and I'm done. Looking at the Heavy Cruiser picture I get a faint memory, like maybe I've done one, but I'm not even sure. I'm surprised that a type of sub would be so rare. Hunters don't appear often either but I've done at least 3 or 4. All the other subs abound aplenty.

Thanks!!

I have a hard time meeting a Heavy Cruiser (the sub). I wonder if it's because they only appear as Cruiser on the map and I don't pay attention (or I sent a sub to down them but don't bother visit because I've done too much of the smaller Cruiser and at this point, I'm doing T'leth at any moment, just looking out for the final Research items (a couple live aliens and Examination Room, if possible) and I'm done. Looking at the Heavy Cruiser picture I get a faint memory, like maybe I've done one, but I'm not even sure. I'm surprised that a type of sub would be so rare. Hunters don't appear often either but I've done at least 3 or 4. All the other subs abound aplenty.

Thanks!!

Heavy Cruisers and Hunters are very rare, yes. They're the equivalent to Abductors and Harvesters in UFO; they only show up on one specific mission each, unlike the Large and Very Large UFOs/subs, and it's entirely possible for that mission to never be called all game.

Heavy Cruisers do not show up as Cruisers on the map, but yes, Cruisers are easily the most common sub type in the game (they're found on all missions).

I finally found two Heavy Cruisers, almost in a row, after I installed a Transmission Resolver on a remote base that I used just for Manufacturing (in South China Sea).

Also have found all those missing living creatures, mostly from Aquatoid Medics, despite that I was able to stun all creatures (as I understand from this forum, Hallucinoid and Xarquid disappear at the base, even though they register as captured when a mission is completed).

So I'm done, basically. Well, I'm at Artefact 9, not sure if I want to continue until Artefact 12, since I already missed a couple of those, and it doesn't seem from what I've read that there is anything special if you do all 12.

The reason I write all this is that I'm now going to attempt hack to get to research Examination Room. I'll keep a save without Examination Room so maybe I'll do T'Leth twice (since we're not officially supposed to find Examination Room, but it really sucks that it's there and missing in the Ufopedia). If I succeed I'll tell how I did it, but truth is I don't understand anything from the TFTD Hacking guide. It says the offset is 00BE for Examination Room (in the Base.Dat file), but.. Where?

(I paused while writing.)

................................. Actually took 10 minutes to look into this and... I'm now researching Examination Room! YES!! It's so easy. You go down the vertical row on the left to 000000B0, and then adjust the number under 0E (from the horizontal row at the top), which should be at 00. Whatever number you put, you will have that amount of Examination Room in your storage, and the ability to Research "Examination Room" (and get the data in your Ufopedia). This functions for the first base. If you want to get Examination Room at other bases, they say how to find the offset on the TFTD Hacking Guide (it's on Gamefaqs), but as they say, it's easier to use the first base and transfer items from there (who needs an impossible amount of Examination Rooms anyway? The point is just to Research it).

Hope that can help some others,

Cheers!

It's not particularly surprising that you got two Heavy Cruisers in a row. Aliens have missions, and the mission that has Heavy Cruisers on it has two of them in succession, just like the mission that has Hunters has three in succession.

The only special thing that happens if you do all 12 Artefact Sites is that they stop appearing after that (you get normal terror sites instead).

T'Leth is, unfortunately, not a very exciting mission. The first stage is kinda cool, but the second and third are just long, winding space-filling paths with about 15 aliens stationed along each. In the third, you can't even take a shortcut due to DPL-proof walls. Alien Colonies are far more interesting.

Well I had fun with the ending. Well, the ending video was lackluster, but this is Microprose 1995 afterall. What's important to me is, at last there was some new settings, since all the USOs, Terror Sites, Artefacts, Colonies, etc, get repetitive after a while (even though the videogame tries to alter the maps tiles the best it can most of the time).

The first stage was hard, lots of pulsers coming out of nowhere. The second and final stages are easy in retrospect, yes, but when you do them the first time, you don't know what's coming ahead, and I thought it was fun that crazy long winding path that you have know idea where it leads. I was anxious enough to remain captivated, so I got the same feeling as when doing the first couple Artefact and Colony sites, so it was fine to me. Maybe it's also a reward that the ending is easier after all the trouble and the frustrations.

Cheers!