Gill man shipping lane 3-part mission-terrorist types?

Tsathoggua

Alright so this is a bit of an oddball mission. Responded to a shipping lane alert and xcomutil somehow turned it into a rather neat, three-part mission, entering the ship from the seabed, treated as an non-aquatic mission, I THINK, because I can't test it seeing as how there are no sub-surface only weapons on board since a solely terrestrial mission was expected, but the men entered first a sub-aquatic map, turned out to be gill men getting up to their evil tricks. So I stomped them, expecting the mission would end, but instead, ended up on what is usually the second half of a two-part shipping lane mission, able to use the elevators to get up to what would usually be the first half floors from the second half first floor)

I've as yet seen no terrorists. Anyone care to speculate on what little pets the gill men are likely to have brought along?

Difficulty is 'genius', I THINK but cannot prove that the mission is treating, despite the aquatic entry to the doubtless sinking ship, the entire thing as a land mission, but the first phase is what would usually be the second phase of a shipping lane hostage situation.

Somehow, I don't imagine the pets brought with them are likely to be ikkle fwuffy kittens and wee sugar mice:D

up in a pair of underpants.

And since the second floor section of the shipping mission essentially is the entire ship, traversible at will, is there likely to be a formal third part? or do I just have to fight over a hugely extended area and over a longer timescale?

The latter might well make it pretty messy seeing as the lifts between cargo hold and cruise deck are interconnected, means the bugs will be slaughtering wildly and its going to be damn difficult to respond in time, no?

I'm just thankful its gill men. But gill men, terror site, subsurface....what might they bring along? didn't think deep ones DID deep, save for in r'lyeh (cough t'leth;)) although I've not yet completed the game.

XComutil's just done some map substitutions but will not have done anything particularly drastic with the enemy troop lineup. If it was meant to be an above-water mission to begin with, you should get the land set of terror units, and vice versa. Theoretically you should be seeing Deep Ones in this case.

If, say, you were doing a crashed fleet supply cruiser and XCU decided to load a land map, you'd see Xarquid floating in the air instead.

I think you'll find it to only be two parter. The three parter's reserved for the final mission.

- NKF

Y'know, and this is odd considering I've used many different copies of TFTD, throughout the years since I first bought (!!!)the game,but I actually didn't realize xarquid were aquatic at all, knew they and triscene were rare, but I didn't know xarquid were aquatic until I got to this forum:P

Xarquids are type of mutated sea creature, so aren't overly out of place in underwater settings. More precisely, a giant weaponised nautilus that propels itself with its tentacles facing forwards instead of backwards.

That said, out of water Xarquids do show up on shipping lane missions from time to time.

- NKF

Yeah I know what they are, and I know what a nautilus is, what I meant, was that in all my actual playing, all the combat missions that xarquid turned up at, they had ALL been on land, bar this one mission, maybe two, where I'd seen one underwater and I remember thinking bloody helll damn dame must have glitched! whats one of those doing underwater?! :P

But I definitely know what nautiluses are, don't worry. Actually, marine biology and marine biotoxicology and ecology are interests of mine. Deep sea life especially is fascinating. As are extremophile forms of life everywhere for that matter.