XCAS UFOpaedia

Loonie

This topic will be updated every now and then and new UFOpaedia articles that have to be written up will be posted here. Then each of us will say which he could write. I'll start with this massive list.

-Patton Shielding Level 2

-Psionic Probe

-Ethereal Corpse

-Snakeman Corpse

-Sectopod Corpse

-Kabron Avenger

-Earth Date

I myself will do Psionic Probe, Earth Date, Kabron Avenger and Ethereal Corpse. The rest of you do the remaining. I've run into some work so I definately won't be able to do any more than this. So post which techs you would like to do OR tell me if you'd like to do a tech instead of me. :)

You can ask for anything at the moment except for Kabron Avenger and Earth Date. Those two are an integral part of Mouses storyline and I'll be briefed from him as to what must be mentioned in them. Otherwise you can write for any other. :blink:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from Yorke's two autopsies of the Snakeman and Sectopod which he still needs to deliver me there is a new tech that must be written up:

-Floater corpse

I assume Yorke has a handfull of things to do right now so unless he himself would like to do it, I would like to ask someone else to do it. :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Techs that need to be done:

-Small Launcher

-Tank Chassis

-Floater report

-Snakeman report

-Sectopod report

Am still waiting Pickers to finish up with the alien reports. Anyone else might want to do the other two. Ghost, Jacko? If you have problems writing up the reports just tell me which one you'd like me to write up instead. And remember, you can write only the reports, not the autopsies. Those can be done by me. :blink:

• 1 month later...

Okey dokey. No research is needed writing so far, though I do have a most difficult quest for you all my little tinheads. :)

Find me pictures for the following UFOpaedia entries:

-Rainbringer Artillery Cannon

-Small Launcher

-Floater

I have been digging through the web for ages now and still no luck. You might have some other resources that I don't so...You'd get on my good side if you manage to provide some of these pictures (I promise to increase your cafeteria rations in NAO :))

If you actually manage to get me exact lookalikes I might even promote you! :blink: So whoever can do so should find these pictures and post them on this thread (or at least post their IP address :) )

That's all for now cheers. :)

Launcher 1

Launcher 2

Here's a couple candidates for the Small Launcher. I had these pics lying around on my hard drive for reasons I can't remember. So I have no idea where they're from.

(Sorry, had the link the images. Geocities doesn't allow you to image post off their servers - Mouse)

(Zonks! You still gotta do the copy/paste thing through the link properties though, unless you're signed into geocities already. -Strong Bob)

Okay then. I think I might be able to do something with the first picture so good work there Bob. :)

I know there isn't a Floater pic for Alliance and that's why I almost lost my nerves trying to find one. :blink: My only hope is that somewhere on this doggone planet a fan was intrigued enough in X-Com to make a 3D picture of one. Which doesn't mean that any of you can't do it either. :)

::starts cringing:: I'd do it myself, but my arms all weak ::fakes an injury:: :)

I'd be tempted just to do a screen grab of the original on the autopsy table in UFO. I'd do it, but none of my PCs are X-com compatible at the mo. Damn XP! Damn it! I'm planning to dual boot at some point but I need to get another HDD to back up everything. Anyhow, I believe there is a program that lets you look inside the UFO image files and extract them directly, look in the moding section for info on that. It would let you scag the floater image no problems.

Hmmm,....not quite what the description says though close. What is mainly wanted is the type of artillery like that turret that you could pilot in Star Wars: Jedi Outcast if you know what I mean.

Still if the going gets rough we could take that one I suppose and edit the UFOpaedia entry a bit. Good work, though keep looking. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

As it is there are two techs to "do" (no bad jokes please :blush: ):

-Terran "Liddles" Fusion Pistol

-Muton Corpse

Just tell us which you'd like to do and I'll send you over the pictures I have so that you can base your report on those as well. ;)

Don't give me those looks. They don't work anymore. :hmmm:

Heh, don't use 'em because you don't have to in order to persuade me. :blush:

Sure thing. Unless anyone else doesn't mind you can start writing right away. ;) Here's the link for the picture and send the report over PM here. ;)

https://www.x-com.co.uk/xcas/ufopaedia/images/Liddles.jpg

Now who dares to say that I didn't pick the cutest of pistols which coincides with the name "Liddles" perfectly as well? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Heya

<rant>

Ehmm... no offence, but does anyone aside from me thing that the autocannon is slightly... wierd? I mean, whats the meaning of having an increadibly heavy gattling weapon that only fires at 120 rpm? The gattling priciple says that high rate of fire is met by having multiple rotating barrels firing in the 12 o clock position and being reloaded in the 6 o clock position. So, basically, a gattling weapon can be fired as fast as the barrels can rotate. Thats why the avenger cannon on the A-10 can reach fire rates of a whooping 30,000 (yes, thirty thousand) rounds per minute. Having six barrels on a weapon that fires a messly 2 rounds per second is just a lot of extra weight, as heat build up won't be a problem either. And whats this thing with the calibers? How can you fire three different caliber ammunition with a 33mm caliber weapon? Doing so would... well, it wouldn't be pretty. The projectiles would not get the proper spin and would tumble through the air, quickly losing air velocity and going badly off course. At the 200 meter effective range, such a bullet would miss with at least 20 meters.

And, while I'm at it, I'd add that the explosive radiuses are off as well... if we say that a 33mm grenade is basically a thinner 40mm grenade, the explosion radius would be about 4 meters.

By now you're all probebly thinking "Damn whiny newbie", but I'm not whining. I'd like this game to be at its best as much as you do. Thats why I'm posting this. My idea would be that the autocannon would be changed to something thats a bit more like a minigun. The reason that the autocannons in the X-Com games were not were IMHO because it wouldn't work well with the game system, but in reality, they should most likely be ment as support weapons and assault weapons.

The changes I was thinking of would be a decreased caliber... 10-12 mm perhaps, still with HE and IC types. And a serious increase in rate of fire, maybe up to 900-1250 RPM. At that high firerate, it doesnt matter if the range of the explosives are limited. Anything and everything will be torn to shreads (or incinerated heheh) ability to mount the weapon on a tripod and carry it in a harness (as the Smartguns in Aliens or the minigun from Predator)... I'm currently working on a scetch of above mentioned harness and I've already made a scetch of the weapon in question, but I dont have anywhere to upload it :blush:

Applaus?

Boos?

Either will do, as long as it is your opinion.

Well... If all that's true, the Autocannon is meant to be a heavy assault gun. Not exactly a minigun if I understand it correctly. I think it'd be a better idea to make it more of a heavy explody weapon, a few notches or so below a bazooka or something. That way auto-rifles still retain the rapid fire principle and the Autocannons keep their status as the biggie guns.

If you want space, send the picture to me via E-mail and I'll upload it somewhere for you. (My E-mail should be listed in my profile, but try to send it around noontime eastern, 17.00 GMT, or it's very likely I won't recieve it.) :blush:

Damn whiny newbie!!! ;)

Joking here. I would agree with the 33mm thing, the caliber would quite likely need to be adjusted so that could be altered. ;)

When it comes to the HE explosive radius, who says we use the same mixture that those 40mm grenades do? We actually use Zrbite, which is a lot more heavier and also more volatile (though there is a higher X-Com debate with Skonar wether or not Zrbite should even work that way now). Still I think the radius isn't that far off though still.....::imagines 15 metres:: yes, I might've screwed up a bit on that one. I will consider lowering it.

When it comes to other querys well.....I've thrown my hat in and now Mouse gets to answer. Hopefully he'll be around these forums soon. :blush:

Okey, will do ;) But, even with those adjustments, it would retain the same stopping power, if not more so. Basically, instead of firing two large projectiles, you fire two dozen smaller ones. With the 250 rpm fire rate, you'll fire 2 rounds per second. With 1000 rpm, you'll fire about 17. Personally, I'd go for the later :devil: As an assault weapon, it will be devestating. Imagining letting lose a volley of 80-something explosive shells down a corridor filled with mutons? Or sweeping a command center full with sectiods with a deadly curtain of lead? Even though I'm a pilot, I like the sound of that :angel:

Also, as a defensive, tripod mounted weapon, it would be a horror. Even though it has a rather limited accurate range (200m), it'd be a bit like a shotgun (but with very good range :blush: ). You can be pretty sure you'll hit something. And also very demorilizing for the enemy troops. Can you imagine having the landscape around you practically explode and dozens of bullets swishing by your head?

I'd say that the multiple barrels of the autocannon should be scrapped (I'd be happy to draw picture to replace the old one) or my idea should be adopted.

And, oh, yes, I'd love to send it to you via email, Bob.. problem is that I cant send attachments via the email listing in your profile (form based, doesnt show me the email addy perse) Silly system :hmmm:

And... thats a very nice pistol Loonie. You rendered that yourself? Me wants! :blush: