Big game hunting......getting the drop on xarquid..

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:09 AM

View PostTsathoggua, on 12 October 2016 - 05:16 AM, said:

Interesting idea mushroom (the tentaculat thing)

Here is a thought. Since I didn't recover a corpse but have the save, with the xarquid KO. Would CAREFUL use of HE ammo to the very periphery, enough to kill it but not destroy the corpse (all 4 tiles are present, stunned, joined together or not there is no way of knowing.) Would executing it at LEAST allow it to be recovered dead?

Stunned aliens cannot be killed, only destroyed. Only way for a stunned unit to die is from Fatal Wounds, and alien-controlled units don't suffer those (there's also no way to inflict them on a unit that's already stunned).

If it were a normal-sized alien, I'd recommend using a medi-kit to revive it and then shooting it. But that won't work on a large alien, because TTBOMK they can't be targetted with the Medi-Kit and won't wake up on their own.

#22 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:24 AM

The medkit can target them, but they'll indeed stay unconscious anyway. Once they're down they're staying down.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#23 Tsathoggua

Tsathoggua

So twisted, my laevo is on the right hand side

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Location:Peeking through your letterbox at night whilst molesting a roadkilled badger with a rusty fork tied to my cock

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:58 AM

Odd about the destruction only. Because when I save-reloaded after stunning it, to test a suicide bomber with a pulse grenade nearby, but not too close, I heard a squelchy, splattering noise, the same sound as when one kills a tentaculat. The xarquid was on the deck at the time, and when stunned was NOT flying. Got it down, then charged in there with almost every living team member available and zapped it with the tazers carried by the whole team, repeatedly, until it went down. Well almost the whole team, bar a couple that were eviscerated when they had to assist in a nasty, nasty close quarters scrap involving two biodrones, an aquatoid with I think, a stun launcher and grenades, helped out by a sneaky biodrone that displayed way too much forethought for my liking. Came down over the balcony, flanked the men and shot one in the back repeatedly from point blank range, killing him instantly. Then went on to hit another guy, woulding but I don't think killing, although he died anyway soon after, after taking the biodrone down and causing it to explode, which in turn, triggered another explosion, basically the entire thing was an ugly clusterfuck.

But the rest pulled off by all standards, a pretty damned heroic assault on that xarquid, oh boy, was it ever a tought fight. Skin of the teeth and no mistake, but down it went. Saved. Then after not recovering it even after aborting the mission on stage 1, on stage 2, after blowing up every other corpse and leaving one living tasoth on the upper deck, then aborting, no retrieval. Suicide bomber made the thing go kasploorshkh! again.

I believe it IS possible to kill a stunned alien without reviving it first, it just takes the weapon targeting to be done well.

So whats this about the tentaculat? I've been toying with turning the xarquid hunt into a fanfic actually, what do you think of the idea mushroom?

#24 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:15 AM

View PostTsathoggua, on 12 October 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

I believe it IS possible to kill a stunned alien without reviving it first, it just takes the weapon targeting to be done well.

You can "effectively" kill them by destroying the corpse item, but that requires an explosive. There's just no other way; items lack the 3D LOF data required for a regular weapon to connect with them.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#25 Tsathoggua

Tsathoggua

So twisted, my laevo is on the right hand side

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Location:Peeking through your letterbox at night whilst molesting a roadkilled badger with a rusty fork tied to my cock

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:23 AM

The corpse was NOT destroyed. First, on stunning, the sound clip for a disabled xarquid played. Then on using the grenade, but making sure it was only taking the edge of the blast, not at ground zero, it squelched again. Have done the same for biodrones also, downed but unconscious not dead, killed with explosive fire yet corpse remaining.

#26 magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 02:57 AM

Very late on this, but:

Tsathoggua was right. We were wrong. One of TFTD's few innovations was an algorithm that detects when an unconscious unit is in the blast radius of an explosion and turns it into a corpse.

In other news, I have realised why Tsathoggua was having such difficulties capturing a Xarquid - they're set to be "robotic" a.k.a. uncapturable. The same goes for Hallucinoids. The only way to get the "live alien" entry for these is to use a Medic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users