Stunning and partially reviving targets in order to stun them harder?

Tsathoggua

Title says it all really. Does first hitting an alien with a stunning weapon (in practice, this means the tazer, since there isn't all that much reason to try after putting a target down with the shock launcher.)

Asking mainly because of a high priority target at the moment. Just, for some weird reason, had a calcinite quite literally pop out of thin air.

Tank facing forwards, away from the landing site, but blocking access to the sub, placed at the nose, facing out, fireteams looking either way, just a few tiles behind the tank. And all of a sudden this calcinite appears, in a mission they should and are present in, and smacks the tank upside the ass. From the rear/side, and with nobody seeing an approach! Just when I was thinking damn its going to be a nuisance to try and get a live one the little bugger pops up, so I sent in a soldier with a tazer and heavy gauss (just in case) to zap it one. Only thing is, I do NOT want this little so and so waking up in the midst of my team.

I wrote about this in the X-COM wiki on the stun page:

Units can take more stun damage than their total health. In fact, stun level is a stored variable and has a maximum value of 255. Therefore, a Sectoid (with 30 health and 1 for under armor) could receive 100 points of stun beyond its health from the Stun Rod and 150 points from the Stun Bomb. Because units recover from stun at a rate of 1 pt/turn, it could take 100 turns to see that Sectoid recover naturally from the Stun Rod and approximately 150 turns from the Stun Bomb. Stimulant injections can help circumvent the time factor by a quarter, but a lot of shots are still necessary.

If that Sectoid wakes up and is subsequently stunned again, it could have potentially even more stun applied. In the best case scenario, if it has a stun level of 29 when it wakes up and you manage to max out damage for the stun rod, it will have a resulting stun level of 159. For the Stun Bomb, it's 209. Units with huge health numbers (such as Mutons, Chryssalids and Silacoids) who are stunned, wake up, and then are stunned again will frequently max out the stun variable at 255. This may also happen when you have to stun a unit multiple times before it drops unconscious.

Should answer pretty much everything, otherwise ask. wink.png

- Zombie

I seem to frequently have trouble connecting to ufopaedia. Comes up with some error message a lot recently from the host.

Im more curious about how the critter got to the position it was. The troops were arranged in such a manner that any angle of approach would have been noted for a unit thats restricted to close range combat, like the calcinite is. But it..well it wasn't there one turn, then appeared suddenly, behind the cordon, thought one soldier was going to be for it this time, but for some reason the calcinite decided to divert its attention to the tank, doing little damage and allowing a soldier to stun it stupid the next turn.