running UFO in linux?

Tsathoggua

I must confess I tried and failed. Using a computer running linux mint at the moment. Not what I am used to at all, and I don't know a damn thing about the OS to be honest. If anyone else has actually done it, could use a few pointers, to say the least.

just tried this really quick after digging out some Ubuntu version and it worked just fine for me.

You only need to enter the following commands in the terminal

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:knapsu/openxcom

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install openxcom

and copy game data folder into the openxcom folder

$HOME/.local/share/openxcom/data

Thanks. Probably saved me a week or more of pissing about.

And I wanted to spend the evening getting this working. And I am absolutely shot. About half the day troubleshooting a chemistry project, which I am pleased to say, bar coming back from an evening spent with the old man tramping through the woods picking wild mushrooms to eat, albeit to a stove top slathered by a slurry of diethylene glycol and ammoniacal slop. Coolant bath had melted and overflowed the pot haha,

Right got that done. Just need to know where to place the openXcom executable. Fucker was a mess on a windows inst. Never figured it out, got it randomly right somewhere along the lines enough to make the vanilla game runnable. Any pointers as to where to put it, once UFO itself is unzipped to a directory?

• 3 weeks later...

Still haven't got openXcom to work in linux but last night managed to get vanilla working and pull an all nighter, after finally getting my fix of bug huntin' (and dipropionylmorphine helped a little too :P)

But definitely found myself fiending to get a game going since it had been ages since I've gotten playing. Until about 8:30AMhappy.png

Got a new game going now, since I had to reinstall everything on this other machine I've been borrowing.