Landed battleship-race unknown, mission unknown-tactics?

Tsathoggua

I don't know the mission these bugs are on, as I don't yet have a hyperwave decoder built, haven't researched it yet.

But lets put it this way, we have a major incident of some kind just caught up with a battleship.

Just dropped a few smaller UFO craft, downing a couple (most of them going in the drink...aquatoid family reunion :P)

and then on the way back, one of my interceptors spotted a landed battleship, so immediately dispatched the skyranger, packing a tank for scouting (cannon) and an otherwise full complement of troops, although not quite as well thought as I'd have liked.

Have to control the mouse action with a laptop mousepad (which, incidentally is completely psychotic) so did not have time, after just taking my one most valuable and experienced, not to mention longest-lived soldier in any of the bases off the assault team, but still have at least 25-30 possiblyas many as 40 blaster bomb rounds, weapons-best carried onboard are plasma rifles, although can now make use of heavy plasma cannons in the field, but haven't completed research into the ammunition for them. Best and only armor available is personal armor

but everybody is suited up, alien grenades, about 50 of the things plus some 9-10 HE demo charges,stun rods, medkits and a variety of other offensive and defensive tools, PLENTY ammunition for the rocket launchers, plus one guy with a heavy cannon and packing IC rounds, as well as one, maybe two with motion scanners, 3 rocket launchers, maybe 20something to 30 rounds apiece of large and incendiary rockets, oh and one mind probe.

LOTS of smoke grenades to cover approaches, and a few prox mines.

Stage, timewise is where mutons have been showing up. No etherials as yet, have been punishing the enemy most severely, taken down 4 bases total, and three of them in recent months, so they are at least, getting severely slapped about, although I cannot currently take down battleships by means of dogfights.

First thing first, tank needs to go and take position, scout around, immediate area to be cleared and thence the ol' favourite trick of using the blaster launchers (forgot how many are onboard the transport, but at least four, possibly five launchers and a huge pile of ammunition.) as a tin opener to enable an initial surgical strike and decapitate the leadership. Think I'll set a couple of prox mines outside the exit doors of the battlecruiser with of course, the intent to surprise the first enemy out of the door and leave them, if the men are lucky

as twitching, limbless torsos squirting alien goo everywhere.

Any more suggestions as to tactics? because this is THE first time the squad has taken on such a large ship and there are quite a few rookies, albeit rookies armed to the teeth and ready to kick some arse Will amend the thread as soon as I know WHAT species are faced.

I do hope its not snakemen (for obvious reasons, their associated terror units are a nasty lot.)

Game version is openXcom, yes, we are very, very very heavily armed, but who has advice as to the best way to tackle this problem?

The men won't have another chance, cease and desist is not a viable option. Was lucky to catch this craft red-handed right after it landed, despite problems keeping it in radar range,, lost contact 3-4 times but sent the skyranger on ahead, assault team on board. And find them we did, just managing I bet, to get there in time before the UFO took off again.

Where can I find the command center for battleships? and also where are the terrorists kept within the UFO?

Should at least be able to recover a goodly bounty from this craft, as its completely undamaged, currently there just isn't the capability to down them, so have had no choice but to let the damned things do whatever it is they are doing, and allow them to go unmolested.

Time to go and do some molesting.

Suggestions? ideas? really could use whatever strategic tricks people can come up with for dealing with undamaged UFOs of this sheer size.

Well that was ugly.

Lost six men, all but one of them rookies, and the tank, although there are three more tank/cannon back at base and the raw recruits have been replaced and before the end of the month replaced their psyker training.

Did lose a sgt. Unfortunately many of the slayings were blue on blue, blasbter bombs going off course in each instance.

UFO captured, absolutely devastated the upper bridge, rained down some 40+ blaster bombs on the upper two floors plus another down and one up into the grav entry chambers. Entire second floor bar a few bits holding the thing together was eradicated utterly. Sectoids, no psi attacks, must have taken the commander and leaders out with the first handful of shells, probably in the surgical strike at the first turn.

Aliens took out two of the rookies, cyberdisc hit one trooper twice but his armor held and fire returned with his plasma rifle, lost the mind probe and motion scanners but building replacements. Need to build more personal armor, running low but all men armed. Heavy plasma clip research finished just after, wouldn't have minded the heavy support for the gunners loading for the blaster guys though. Those guys really are trigger happy, jesus, there was next to nothing left of the surrounding areas, any and all buildings flattened, wiped from the face of the earth, along with another cyberdisc, which fell to first an alien grenade then a blaster round, direct hit, scratch one cyberdisc.

Oh, and one out of the four power cores blown out, but still got 150 elerium out of the remaining ones. Never actually sent a living man up into the UFO, prox mined the grav lift shaft on the outside of the doors, after first sending in the tank, which did manage to hold its own on the first floor for a while. Or what was LEFT of the first floor. Eventually made a mistake and fired on the wrong one of two close up sectoids with heavy plasma guns, the other one had been set ablaze courtesy of a sniper with a rocket launcher and incendiary rocket, sent up through a hole blasted in the floor, right in the guts. Thought them both set ablaze though, especially after blowing a clip of heavy cannon incendiary rounds up through same and generally making a big effing mess of things.

But tried taking down the closer of these two sectoids, and realized too late that the damn further back one DIDN'T afterall get covered in willy pete, and it was pissed that my tank had just popped two shells in its crewmate's head from close range. Bet the cleanup crew are going to have a messy job on their hands.

Made a couple of million on the black market too at least, selling off all but one of the cores and some nav consoles, sold several hundred units of alien alloys too, made a tidy sum, could then afford new scientists and a tank to replace the one that was lost.