Revamp of Unity...

Pete

Progress goes well, if not too quickly :blink:

I've just started on the maths on my local machine, so I may be a while with that. I really hope to have it sorted by the end of the current battle. As ever, your input it desired, if not required :)

As a little teaser, head on over to the test site and marvel at the phunky colours: https://www.notanotherdotcom.com/unity/

Practically no links work and I'm not too sure about the working-title. Someone suggested a really good one about a week ago, but alas I have forgotten it, so if anyone ahs a kewl title for the tournament then go ahead and post that along with your ideas and feedback :)

I don't know if this matter belongs under the site upgrade topic, but I'll give it a go anyway.

Isn't it a bit excessive to give so many extra points for being of lower rank? This game really doesn't take that long to learn, so it doesn't require any miracles for a private to win over an ultra. This makes the list for average number of points per match a bit meaningless.

I would personally prefer no extra points for being of lower rank, but an extra point for no casualties and another extra point for each unit that the enemy has over you at the beginnig (starting with fewer men).

Cazbol :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, the estimated time I gave (on one of my various thousands of threads on this subject) was before I finish my little break from work. A little vague I know, as you're not all psychic, but I'd hoped to be having it finished mostly by Wednesday (next week, whn I get back to work) but with an important job interview on Tuesday that I'd really like to turn into a successful one for a change (not much luck with interviews me :) ) it may be anywhere up to the end of the month... sorry!

I shall endeavour to get the whole Fight Club system updated (since the new tourney is but an alteration and a few additions away from the current fill-in program) over the next few days so it logs matches etc, and people can report results, and that should be the basics done. Then I can unleash it on you lot to keep you happy and work on the rest at my own pace :blink::)

It's in the works so to speak :)

Well actually it's Tankman's Serverless Patch. You also have to make sure you're following the instructions on the separate page in the e-mail X-COM section, and not the ones in the readme file... I think there was a step missed in there somewhere. And you need to make sure you've downloaded the other one or two programs as well that are pinned to the top of the downloads section, but I guess you've read that bit in the instructions.

And the Unity tournament is just a fancy scoresheet, nothing that has any affect on your program.

• 3 weeks later...

Well unfortunately, nobody will give me a job where I sit in front of a computer on a daily basis, so it is going a bit slowly :blink: And I'm working 9-6 (and 11-5 on the Sundays) for the next nine days straight (I love my work rota's!) so it may be a while (again) before it's done.

Hang in there though. I've passed control of my UFO:Aftermath site to ooda in an attempt to get more time fiddling with this site. The new tournament, is high on my list of priorities, but other stuff gets in the way :)

Sorry :)

Any Stuntmutt, don't have too much faith in my coding working first time or anything :)

• 1 month later...

For those who don't already know, the new tournament is in alpha testing stage!

If you want to jump aboard and become a tester, head on over to https://www.x-com.co.uk/phoenix and click the sign up link.

Be warned, the program is not complete. The basic coding is in there, but there isn't even a score chart up yet! It's got a long way to go, but if you'd care to join us for the ride, feel free!

• 2 years later...

Ah, well, ummm... had a lot of other things on recently. I'd really like to get back to it though. With all the stuff I know now it wouldn't be mega challenging.

Actually, you could be the man with just the information I need! Do you remember waaaay back when I may have mentioned an automated game-end turn upload system that checks the .xem file for the results? Do you know how results and map info is stored in that last turn? If it's fairly simply laid out then I may be able to whip up something really neat ;)

• 2 weeks later...