Looking to mod Xcom

thebritwriter

never really delved much into modding (tried with space empires V but got extrememly burned out in the end) as I was looking to create a challenge on the orignal game.

Firstly I downloaded Xcom UFO defence by steam, had a play through and it plays fine, but I wanted to see if these options were possible.

Increasing stats to max (255? Just an observation but a lot of game figures hit 255 as a limit, any reason why?)

Doubling/triple number of civs and enemies.

I don't think it's possible to change the AI of enemies to make them more aggressive to the player instead of going to and back but I would like to see if I can make enemies tougher.

The aims:

Make Chryssilids more durable with greater stats, mainly better stamina, HP and TU.

Toughen Mutons

Increase number of enemies.

Increase enemy accuracy

Increase number of enemies and civilians

Increase value of alien corpses.

A more complex addition would be to include more fire tiles after an explosive has been used.

Is there already a mod that allows this or will I have to take steps to make my own? And would winzip be needed as well?

255 value is because of the limitations on the old era of gaming. To conserve memory most of the data is stored in variables of byte type. This type can only hold values 0-255.

As for the rest, I think you should either:

A) Look at Extender

B) Check openxcom and look for mods. You might want to check UFO Redux created by Hobbes. It drastically changes difficulty of the game.

We basically know the location of alien stats in the executable and what each byte does, so there isn't reason why you couldn't directly edit or use Hatfarm's or Jenny's editor to change aggressiveness, intelligence, stamina, health, TU etc to your liking. We also know the location for alien quantities and rank makeup for each mission type. The one thing we don't know yet is civilians but they only really come into play during terror missions so it isn't that big of a deal.

1. Hatfarm's Editor
  2. Jenny's Editor
  3. My Alien Stats Page: Strategy Core, Wiki
  4. My executable mod sheet

You should have all you need right there. ;)

- Zombie