Really enjoying Apoc!

jgatkinsn

Well, Nook got me hooked on playing Apocalypse. My son started playing before I did, but after getting around to it, I have made quite a bit of progress on easy level. NKF's advice has been very helpful. Right now, I've surpassed where Nook is, and have finished the "Alien Farm" and just finished researching dimension missiles and the launcher. The "Alien Farm" battle really was an enjoyable battle for me, because it was very tough and was the first time I faced a large quantity of dimension missile launchers aimed at me. It really challenged me to practice good squad advancement techniques like "bounding overwatch" as well covering my retreating soldiers as Skeletoids came after us when completing the mission ("center peel"... no I'm not military). I can't believe how many aliens we downed in that one mission, and I almost scored 2000 points in recovered equipment alone!

I really enjoy the realtime aspect better than the turn-based of Apocalypse. However, I still prefer the previous X-COM turn based battles overall. The pathfinding is so annoying at times in realtime.

I can see what people mean by how there is a big dropoff, once you reach a certain point in the game. I'm steadily increasing finances (half a million now after alien farm). Toxin Type C just rules with all the one shot drops of Anthropods and Skeletoids, and I almost don't want to bother with devastator cannons because of all the shots to punch through their shields (which matters if they're carrying a dimension missile launcher and sometimes entropy). My annihilators just cleaned up the UFO's in the alien dimension for the week, so my biotransport can waltz in to complete it's mission. So most of my time is spent waiting to research the next building, heal up, and ammo up before going out again.

Having a blast.. not sure if I play at harder level or go back and try another OpenXcom mod.

Try harder difficulty. Also with teleporters you can easily bypass those pesky dimension launchers. That's another one of those thingies that makes this game trivial, and you sure want to wait with invasion to alien dimension. Don't know why Nook tries to rush it. Anyway advice for the penultimate building, you do not need to destroy very small pinkie things. Just the average ones and big ones. You'll know what I'm talking about once you'll be there.

There will be a couple of alien buildings that might prove a bit frustrating when it comes to finding the targets. Look high and low for them. Some might be stored up high in towers that you can access with grav lifts, and I do recall the map with the flat mushrooms had one of them hidden in an underground tunnel. The one that often got me frustrated was the one with the green exploding bulbs. I'd keep running around the map hunting for them on the ground before remembering to look up. :D

The Devastators do blow up shields, but they're some of the best weapons to use for general purpose demolition of the alien dimension objectives. You can always grab them off the aliens as you need them.

- NKF

• 4 weeks later...