Apoc Sound

Kickalienass

• 1 year later...

Same here, I can install apoc with XP easily but it cant detect the card, crashes when i choose one, bla bla bla... Anyway, how do I fix it.

Also on a different computer, with windows 98, the sound sets up fine. But when I play, sometimes it works perfect, but other times, the sound will slow down to the point where it only does anything in about 1/4 second intervals every 30 seconds or so. If it sounds fine, the game only responds to commands in these intervals.

Also when I play on that computer, the game freezes, then it looks like it makes a lot of messed up replicas about 20-30 on the screen tiled where it looks like there is writing at the top. I really need help, if its my computer, then theres nothing I can do, but if anyone can suggest a fix, tell me soon!

What are your soundcard specifications? The type of soundcard, IRQ, DMA, etc.

Is it a soundblaster 'compatible'? If it is, that should make things easier. Test the various 'sound blaster' settings in the sound setup, and work down from there.

Note that the game's 'autodetect' setting is unreliable and shouldn't be trusted. First time I set up the game, it autodetected my Sound Blaster Pro (which it is), but the whole thing fouled up and worked like Alain described. I had to manually set it to a plain 'Sound Blaster' and it now works like a charm.

Note that lots of recent soundcards do not come with dos sound drivers (It's the 'Dos is so archaic - let's stop supporting it' mentality at work folks). If you don't have a dos sound driver and your soundcard won't work without the driver, then, well, you won't be able to hear sounds in Dos programs, unless you can get an emulator. The VDMS emulator is popular among Win2k players.

- NKF