Thorondor

Your attention, please. Today at StrategyCore we are proud to present "Deep Rising - a tribute to X-Com", a unique digital comic featuring lavish art and accompanying original audio, all to be enjoyed entirely for free.

news-thumbnail_deep_rising_cvr_titled_17

We've recruited some of Earth's finest - plain great human beings who also happen to be fantastically talented creative professionals - to make this dream of a full-fledged comic set in the world of X-Com a reality at long last.

So, without further ado, we invite you to experience the fruits of our labor for yourself, right here, where it all happens, at StrategyCore.

The comic is beautiful. I can see why even Solomon was impressed to have this linked to the franchise. The story is more XCOM than X-COM and the music makes a fantastic background.

I'll definitely read it on and on. Perhaps even read it to children when they are naughty! They should learn about alien danger as soon as possible... ;)

Was any of the art hand drawn or was it all digitally created?

Glad you liked it, SV. smile.png

As for educating your children about the harsh realities of alien invasion, I think you've already done that well enough (at the expense of a poor rookie). tongue.png

I'm sure I need not tell you some pages do justify the age gating and are indeed best just read, not shown, which may prove difficult, as the "pretty pictures" are a big draw for curious young eyes.

Regarding your question about any of the art being hand drawn or digitally created - it's actually both. People tend to have a certain misconception, forgetting that such digital art is created by hand by the artist, albeit using a digital pen and tablet and specialized painting software which allows for the replication of many traditional brushes as well as digital filters, layering and other visual effects.

It takes many, many hours to get each page done and, of course, a great deal of technical know-how coupled with skill and talent.

There's a saying in Latin, I believe from Aristotle, that summarizes this well: "Ars longa, vita brevis" - Art is long, life is short. wink.png

As for educating your children about the harsh realities of alien invasion, I think you've already done that well enough (at the expense of a poor rookie). tongue.png

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one... Perhaps I better ease up in this department.

Regarding your question about any of the art being hand drawn or digitally created - it's actually both. People tend to have a certain misconception, forgetting that such digital art is created by hand by the artist, albeit using a digital pen and tablet and specialized painting software which allows for the replication of many traditional brushes as well as digital filters, layering and other visual effects.

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Smiley/doh_zpsf1gpv7hi.gif

I stand corrected. Naturally, the digital picture is just as hand drawn...

Greetings! It's been a while... smile.png Glad to hear you find the comic to your liking. Do spread the word!

Welcome back, stranger! :)

The comic was so nice, that it now requires animation and professional voice over.

For the voice-over bit I suggested to Thorondor a while back that we get Julian Gollop. He's not a professional voice actor, but he fits the theme. happy.png

- Zombie

Hi ERISS. Thanks for the feedback.

Regrettably, some combinations of viewing modes, browsers and operating systems are bound to cause some issues with a multimedia piece such as this.

In the interest of full disclosure - given the costs associated with seeing to all possible such combinations we've decided this to be the final, as-is, online delivery. We anticipate no further revisioning.

It is also partly to mitigate these issues, and so people can still view the comic in some form, that the alternate download versions have been made available (vanilla PDF, etc).

::

Thusly, pardon any inconvenience, gents, but even great fiction must occasionally be confronted with certain facts of a more material nature.

NRK (Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation) did a piece on the comic. While this is in Norwegian, there are some pictures of storyboards and other work in progress if anyone is interested: https://www.nrk.no/te...erie-1.12761903

Yes, very much so! Did you contact NRK about the comic? Oh, and nice pic of you and Mr T! :)

- Zombie