I'm really quite enjoying Dying Light.

https://www.facebook...797013730003168

It's not the graphic zombie killing, although I think that's one of the initial draws to get people playing. Later on you can craft, buy, or find weapons that make killing zombies nothing more than a single easy strike. It's for some of the best parkour in gaming since Mirror's Edge. Now, Techland's Dead Island was kind of a prototype, having free-roaming zombie-killing gameplay, and being mostly famous for its great trailer. Dying Light is a lot better, largely because the meat of the game isn't the slaying of the undead. They're there in large numbers, but really the zombies are another obstacle, along with the walls, fences, houses, cars and other terrain for you to free run over and around. Movement feels smooth and impossibly athletic, and with a few levels of upgrading, a featureless wall is no more an impediment than one covered in handholds. So it becomes about navigation and retaining momentum, planning the most efficient route on the fly, across a post-zombie apocalypse city under quarantine. Regular supply drops offer a good reason for runs, and although a lot of the game is fetch quests, they really don't matter so much as long as the movement itself is enjoyable. Added to this is a gorgeous mournful electronica soundtrack (this and Just Cause 3 are the only game soundtracks I have wanted to own in recent memory), plenty of dismemberment and gore if you want to get your hands dirty with ridiculous weapons, meaty sound effects, an extensive map to explore, and a decent sense of humour baked into the game's world, along with a kind-of successful attempt at the bleakness of such a petty Hell. Oh, and the real monsters come out at night. Mostly.

It's technically a bit shonky, but I find that charming in a game, and I dearly love being chased by zombies. From Super Metroid onwards, very few games have succeeded in making me feel truly alone. Dying Light is one of them.

Oh, and it has an expansion coming out!

https://youtu.be/BQwLi21ZHK0

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of fun I've had with this game, terrible story, terrible dialogues, terrible quests, terrible repetitive gameplay, but I loved playing it.

The crafting system is there but yeah, considering you can't gather any materials but just loot them from a container which contains random loot, there's nothing to gather or craft. It's more like LOOT, LOOT and LOOT again.

The parkour stuff really adds a lot to the fun though.

But yeah, in short, great fun, but terrible game, much like how The Division seems to turn out.