X-Com Apocalypse LP

Nookrium

Remember that Devastators can be used to dig paths through the alien dimension building walls if you need to make a quick path somewhere.

With the destruction of the control chamber (the one with the pink chewing gum thingies), the UFOs will no longer respawn. This means you'll never be able to get Toxin-C or anti-alien gas weapons from here on out.

On the bright side, you've got the teleporters. You'll really enjoy these. The AI's terrible at using them effectively, but in your hands they will have many-many useful applications. Carry at least two and remember to give them a chance to recharge between uses. If you need the space, consider ditching the cloak or your second shield.

You might want to start using one or two Marsec torso plates again just so that you can have a few guys who can teleport absolutely everywhere.

- NKF

You might want to start using one or two Marsec torso plates again just so that you can have a few guys who can teleport absolutely everywhere.

I was going to ask what you thought of throwing a couple Marsec suits into the mix (when I mentioned that in the video it was directed towards you wink.png ). I haven't looked at the defense rating of them versus the disruptor armor but as long as I have shields it doesn't really matter, right?

To the Queen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1t7qQ92heo

Since you can't get Toxin-C anymore there's no big loss in killing the queen right at the end there.

I thought you could run up onto the Queenspawn's podium while on foot. Guess not. Marsec torso plates would be most useful here then.

The easiest way to capture the queen is to wait until after you've destroyed all the spawn pads and killed off all the aliens on the map. Use the laser curtains for cover and creep your stunners up the side of the podium and rush in to either side of the queen. It can only shoot facing forwards into the large hall, but not to the sides. Use a smoke grenade if you want, though two or three shields should protect you long enough to survive the queen's powerful attack. Once in, deal with the eggs. Then stun grenade or stun grapple the queen and start slowly wounding it with a weapon until it falls unconscious.

I was going to ask what you thought of throwing a couple Marsec suits into the mix (when I mentioned that in the video it was directed towards you wink.png ). I haven't looked at the defense rating of them versus the disruptor armor but as long as I have shields it doesn't really matter, right?

The Marsec plate's the weakest of the three, but the shields definitely will compensate until they break. The drop in protection is significant, but the teleporters will change the way you fight. As long as you're paying attention to your shield levels and watch for any incoming missiles, you can a) teleport away or b) teleport right up next to the launcher alien and go full auto with a toxigun then use a second teleporter to flee back to safety.

The main advantage of combining the Marsec plates with teleporters is that you can teleport absolutely anywhere except into solid matter. On foot, the destination must be on solid ground.

I would still recommend sticking with X-Com torsos for the majority of your squad. Your guys do seem to like attracting the entropy missiles. wink.png

Incidentally, speaking of missiles and teleportation: Missile will keep tracking you even if you teleport out of the way. They will try to correct their course and turn to your new location. Be sure to take this into account when using the teleporters to dodge missiles.

Also don't UFOs come from the next building where he destroys mushrooms?

It would make more sense if that was that building, but it's the command building that controls the UFO respawns for some strange reason. You'll probably have noticed in the last launch that there were no UFOs in the alien dimension even though it was the new week. Without the building broadcasting all the commands, the aliens are turning into slackers. wink.png

- NKF

It would have been neat if the game was developed enough that the Megapod chamber was able to regrow earlier buildings and perhaps start sending lots of buildings through the gates and plant themselves all over Megaprimus to ramp up the end-game tension and make it look like they're actively pushing your efforts back.

Part of the challenge with the Megapod chamber's the rough layout, which makes it rough to travel on foot. Flying suits and teleporters help a bit here.

You're not able to jump off some of the alien dimension building paths due to the extended rounded edges. They make the game think that there's no free space and prevents your agent from jumping. It's a bit silly considering the alien dimension buildings are where the jump ability is likely to be most useful considering the variable terrain. If you have Devastators, you can shoot off the rounded edges.

If you haven't recorded the last mission yet, just a quick heads up: the re-enforcement pads there are invincible. This means you cannot beat the mission with a wipe out. Just destroy the objectives and escape. There are a lot of mission objectives on this map, however the objectives work in pairs. You only need to destroy one in each set to disable both. You'll see once arrive at the pit.

- NKF

I do so enjoy the chain explosion potential in the Megapod chamber.

Don't forget some of your normal squad mates have picked up the occasional teleporter. Use them to jump out of trouble if they find themselves in any less than desirable situations.

Lifetree haven't been taken over by the aliens. They've just reached their limit and will no longer negotiate with you. They can still be swayed back to your side if you attack their enemies. They may ask for money to fix relations, but they will no longer accept any bribes from you. They're basically in the same state as the Cult of Sirius at the very start of the game. Funny thing is, even if you do get back in their good books, they'll still call the aliens their 'friends' if you try to offer a bribe. The alien's don't necessarily feel the same way and may even attack them if they don't like them enough.

- NKF

Thanks again for all the help throughout this run, you are my heroes NKF & Silencer wink.png

If only you listened harder ;)

I'm still not sure what I want to move onto next, any ideas?

Interceptor ;) but to be fair I think XCOM: Enemy Within. Classic difficulty is fair enough. Forget Long War for now. It's best not to play it without knowledge of the game itself and it's very very long.

And that's a wrap of the classic series. At least, the core games. Great work.

It's fascinating how all the heroes of this episode were androids. You did quite well with what are really low to mid-range starting soldiers. And shame about Robotron getting whacked with psi-stun right at the end. But it did tie beautifully in with the ending cinematic. wink.png

I don't really know what you should try next, though I suppose UFO Aftermath might not be bad. It's samey yet not quite the same. Xenonauts wouldn't be too bad. Or perhaps Silent Storm, which I really should get round to installing one of these days. Or you could take a short break from strategy and try your hand at something else. Perhaps some quick games you can play in short bursts.

- NKF

Or you could take a short break from strategy and try your hand at something else. Perhaps some quick games you can play in short bursts.

I'm planning on taking a little break, I have a few quicker games I've been wanting to LP but didn't have the time. I've heard several negative things from Xenonauts (Silencer included) but I was looking through the mods and it might be interesting to try something unique. Or of course, the new Xcoms (which is what I'm leaning towards)... I shamefully have never completed the first one pinch.gif