216 replies to this topic

#41 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:26 AM

This mission certainly went better. I think dealing with a smaller group helped keep you focused on the action.

That brainsucker you got at the bottom of the ramp wasn't dead, just stunned. They generally look a bit flatter when dead. Posted Image
Of course, it did die from the explosion that took out hyperworms, but it would have been quite dangerous to have left it behind as it would have woken up and jumped on your agents from behind.

On a similar note, the other brainsucker that suddenly appeared towards the end had hatched behind your team as they turned away to go after the Spitter. The pod was either fired by the anthropod just as it fell unconscious, or it was part of its gear that fell to the ground. Try to listen for the noises, as the pods do make a certain noise when they hatch.

As for your ships: You may as well get some hovercars to help out your bikes. They have a much smaller profile than the Valkyrie, so won't get hit as easily and they will pack more overall firepower. They're still on the cheap side as far as the aircraft are concerned.

A pair of hovercars are also a decent backup transport for city missions as each one can carry 4 agents and have a slot for a standard 2x2 module block. Two hovercars, one with a cargo module and the other a bio-transport module, can function the same as a Valkyrie for missions in city buildings. Crashed UFOs should still be dealt with by the Valkyrie (or better) as you can only send one in at a time.

Now for a few random things:

- If you have a chance, give the motion scanner a try. It's in its element in real-time. Stick it in your hand and turn it on like a medikit.  Civilians do add a bit of noise to the readings, but you can still use it to pick out unusually fast moving aliens like the Brainsuckers and Poppers.

- See the two buttons above the firing modes. These control group formation. The default setting has the team stand and move in an X formation. It provides the most control of the two and you'll probably use it for the entire game.

The other is single file formation. It's a great mode for moving teams through narrow paths or setting up a line of agents across from UFO doors. It's quite interesting, but has a flaw that makes it less suitable for prolonged use.

In single file your squad will form up into a line and head towards wherever you tell them to go. It's quite a seamless procedure and fun to watch as your soldiers will form a line no matter how muddled up they are.

The issue with this mode is that it's slightly bugged as far as the walking speeds are concerned. It doesn't matter whether you're walking or running, the agents will move at what ever speed suits them and will sprint or walk in odd bursts. If you really need to be running at top speed, have the agent switch back to X formation.

- On the subject of food: Evonet, the waste management company, run the Recyclotoriums that process, er, stuff into edible food. If you ever visit one, you'll see the dead bodies in the works. Coincidentally, perhaps due to an oversight by the map designer, the Superhuman map has one Recylotorium in the city that's owned by X-Com. If you remember the base you had in your recruitment video, it's just across the road from it. It doesn't do anything and doesn't cost anything, but it is all yours. Feel free to make up your own conclusions about it. Posted Image

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#42 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:27 AM

Yes and the hostile companies towards you tend to attack it which may improve relations with them. Although you take a score hit due to damage to the city I think.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#43 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:58 PM

Week 1 is done, time to shop...

View PostNKF, on 18 November 2015 - 07:26 AM, said:

A pair of hovercars are also a decent backup transport for city missions as each one can carry 4 agents and have a slot for a standard 2x2 module block. Two hovercars, one with a cargo module and the other a bio-transport module, can function the same as a Valkyrie for missions in city buildings. Crashed UFOs should still be dealt with by the Valkyrie (or better) as you can only send one in at a time.

That's a good idea, I've been thinking about whether it's a good idea to add a second transport to grab the missions quicker.  I know it's good to grab them quick before they start spreading to other buildings, but I don't know how long it takes and if it would really make much difference.

#44 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:50 PM

With week 2 come Transport UFOs and Assault UFOs. Hovercars are useless now in fights. Medium Disruptor guns just kills them.

#45 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:11 AM

Hovercars might be useful just for transport (especially if I lose transtellar)

What do you think of Solmine, I gotta have elerium, is it worth paying them off now or should I just wait till they go hostile?

#46 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:07 AM

Hovercars on their own will definitely not be able to handle the bigger ships. But that's what the hoverbikes are for. Leave the default engines on the hovercars so that your hoverbikes arrive first. That way the UFOs will be busy with the hoverbikes. If you really don't want the hovercars close up on the action, arm them with missiles.

Solmine - you do want to be able to buy elerium for the vehicle plasma weapons, so it is a good idea to keep them non-hostile. But don't waste any money unless they go hostile.

Plasma guns - get them. They're the Mario of the market weapons and sit between the sniper rifle and auto-cannon. They also carry lots of ammo per clip. They're a good match for the first alien beam weapon you will be coming across. You should be able to dual wield them with no trouble.

Kneeling's useful, but if you need to move around a lot, I suggest turning off kneel. Ivan was being shot in the back by one of his friends who was kneeling behind him when you were going after the first multiworm. The one at the back should have been standing while Ivan should have knelt. Posted Image

Don't forget about the blast-on-impact shortcut for the grenades (right click). That way you don't have to worry about the timer when you just want to quickly toss a grenade out and have it blow up right away.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#47 Kir'jaeden

Kir'jaeden

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:27 PM

Instead of pack of Hoverbikes which consume Elerium  one could produce a pack of Probes armed with small disruptor and don't bother with Elerium and Solmine bribing  ;)

#48 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:31 PM

Since when they use elerium?

#49 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:38 PM

Time to make some money...

#50 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:38 AM

I noted a point where you seemed to want to put a waypoint in the movement of your secondary team to path them towards the combat. You didn't say anything, but it felt like it. There is a way you can add waypoints to your agent movements, but my brain's failing me as to which key it was. It is one of the ctrl, alt or shift keys.

On an unrelated note, notice how the agents armed with the M4000 have shot up in accuracy? They're racing ahead because they're getting plenty of hits in. Like the previous games, it's not the number of kills, but the amount of effort that goes in. Anyone lagging behind in their accuracy might want to take up the M4000 for a while.

View PostKir, on 19 November 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

Instead of pack of Hoverbikes which consume Elerium  one could produce a pack of Probes armed with small disruptor and don't bother with Elerium and Solmine bribing  Posted Image

Heh, hoverbikes run off normal fuel. The elerium is mainly for the Lineage Plasma Cannon, the most powerful aircraft weapon you can purchase. They're quite decent for fighting medium UFOs until you can capture some Medium Disrupters.

The Probes would make decent swarmers. Though by the time you have the capacity to start building enough of them, UFOs armed with anti-swarm weapons will be showing up. Ideally, the X-Com fleet will be wanting to shift towards using heavily armed gunships by then.

- NKF

#51 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:17 PM

Sorry folks, Gravball has been cancelled...

View PostNKF, on 20 November 2015 - 06:38 AM, said:

I noted a point where you seemed to want to put a waypoint in the movement of your secondary team to path them towards the combat. You didn't say anything, but it felt like it. There is a way you can add waypoints to your agent movements, but my brain's failing me as to which key it was. It is one of the ctrl, alt or shift keys.
- NKF
I'll have to try messing around with a few keys, it could come in very handy at times.  I don't see it on Zombie's hotkey page.

#52 NoXTheRoXStaR

NoXTheRoXStaR

RTS Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:19 AM

If for whatever reason. Here's the link to the official Apocalypse manual that came with the original box edition. And if NKF, Zombie or any of the other admins want to add this to the files section as it is not there.Posted Image

The hotkeys list is under Tactical in the index. Or pages 196-198 in the .pdf file.

-NoX
"If you win it's just a game, but if you lose it's a complete waste of time"

-Al Bundy (Married With Children)

#53 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:56 AM

View PostNoX, on 21 November 2015 - 12:19 AM, said:

If for whatever reason. Here's the link to the official Apocalypse manual that came with the original box edition. And if NKF, Zombie or any of the other admins want to add this to the files section as it is not there.Posted Image

The hotkeys list is under Tactical in the index. Or pages 196-198 in the .pdf file.

-NoX

Nice find, NoX.  Looks like Ctrl + LMB sets the waypoints.

#54 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:41 AM

View PostNKF, on 05 November 2015 - 05:32 AM, said:

One thing before you start the LP proper is to study Zombie's input device reference guide:

http://www.strategyc...lypse/controls/

I'd just like to mention that I created the page based off of the manual and also NKFs invaluable help in verifying the controls and submitting his own. Posted Image

View PostNoX, on 21 November 2015 - 12:19 AM, said:

Added here. I think the reason why we didn't have it in the files section already was two-fold:
  • Intellectual Property (IP) rights
  • Because it was originally at the underdogs which was allowing folks to download the game for free
- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#55 jgatkinsn

jgatkinsn

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:48 PM

Looks interesting so far after 4 episodes.  My son and I have been watching it.   Sign me up as JG on the waiting list.   I'll gladly be a hoverbike or some craft if need be.  My son would like to put on the waiting list as well as either soldier or craft.  Name is Jachin.

#56 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:01 PM

View Postjgatkinsn, on 21 November 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

Looks interesting so far after 4 episodes.  My son and I have been watching it.   Sign me up as JG on the waiting list.   I'll gladly be a hoverbike or some craft if need be.  My son would like to put on the waiting list as well as either soldier or craft.  Name is Jachin.
Jachin pronounced JAY-kin?
I have 2 more episodes already recorded but I'll get the 2 of you in there after that.

#57 jgatkinsn

jgatkinsn

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:59 PM

View PostNeptunesNookGames, on 21 November 2015 - 09:01 PM, said:

Jachin pronounced JAY-kin?
I have 2 more episodes already recorded but I'll get the 2 of you in there after that.

You got it.  JAY-Kin.  Also, he does prefer a solider first, but will take a craft if none available.

#58 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:59 PM

Oh Poppers, I sure would love some more flying armor...

#59 jgatkinsn

jgatkinsn

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:07 AM

Absolutely brutal way to end the mission :)

#60 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:16 AM

View PostNeptunesNookGames, on 23 November 2015 - 06:59 PM, said:

Oh Poppers, I sure would love some more flying armor...

Surprising bit of trivia, but Marsec Armor has 10% higher high explosive resistance than Megapol Armor. Not that it really matters considering how powerful all of the alien explosives are.

You've learned it first hand, but don't kneel too close to UFO doors. That first popper was a very good reason not to do this. Posted Image Have some troops hang back, spread out and watch over the door while a few others creep up towards the doors from the sides before they jump in. Motions scanners can be handy for watching out for poppers before you run through the doors.

Poppers blow up when hit by ballistic projectiles or other explosions. Energy (laser, plasma, disrupters) and bio weapons (stun, toxin) can kill or knock them out without causing them to explode. One of the reasons why I suggested getting Plasma  guns. They wouldn't have saved you from the two popper encounters in this video, but they will certainly help.

The Medikit by the way needs you to be standing in place for it to work. Also you must be standing firmly on the ground, so no flying. Moving away from the tile will switch it off. Also it may sometimes appear to be working when you're on the move, but you will continue to lose health.

- NKF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users