1999 REDUX (0.7)

silencer_pl

With the ludicrous amount of missions, I've increased the video time to 1 hour. Yeah I know it's a lot, but otherwise I think this playthrough would last one year ;) Anyway Today two battleship missions in a row. Keep Calm and get more Elerium. We are still in the 0.7.x version but from episode 76 we will be moving to 0.8.

So new era, after 75 episodes, it's time to move to new version of UFO Redux - 0.8e and with this version to latest version of OpenXcom which also gives few nice addons.

The main change that can be quickly visible, are the soldiers diaries. Inside you can find additional information about soldiers performance. Since we are mid game the diaries are empty.

296.jpg

297.jpg

298.jpg

299.jpg

Another change quickly noticeable will be after mission report of who died and how many kills they have made.

300.jpg

That's the few things I've noticed in new OpenXcom. As for UFO Redux, there should be loads of changes, new maps, new aliens, new items, new bullcraps, new bugs. Maybe I should preemptively send Mr. T, to hang Hobbes by the balls ;)

Our first mission in this version is standard crash site. Nothing too serious. However next mission takes place again in one of the new "old" prison like facilites. I've nicknamed this place boring laboratory lab. Although the mission takes place in Cape Canaveral, I was hoping for something more special. At first anything new is cool, but once the mission progresses I found the map to be not quite fun.

Soldiers spawn inside of the building and on watch towers. The building is a complete labirynth. Without flying suits you will have to navigate whole flor in order to change floors. And most of the soldiers spawn in bad spots. Good thing I had explosives so I've made myself additional entrance to the roof.

301.jpg

The side towers are sort of death trap. They have cool idea of sniping. But mostly you will get reaction fired by aliens first and of course as always aliens have that special magical line of fire that you don't, not to mention I've noticed that in OpenXcom alien have range 1 tile farther than player. I don't know if it was noticed by anyone. Even with flying suits you can't just leave the post like that, you have to climb down through the lift hoping that nothing gets to you.

302.jpg

Also that fence is mostly annoying, because you will end up hitting it more often than the aliens.

Since we are very late in the game, we are hit by almost all alien types. We had sectoid leader - of course because there always must be some mind controlling. Waspites, because there must be 99% accuracy alien. Mutons, solarites, cyberdisc, chryssalids, holodrones, and new addon - muton berserker. This guy can punch you to death even through power armour with any problem. Good thing we have flying suits so we can say FU to him.

303.jpg

Of course because we are still using cheap gauss weapons, the fight against anything was very boring and long. Mostly because half of the aliens decided to camp in the corners of the map. Probably because of the Sneaky AI mod, because it makes aliens more passive.

The fight continues. We discover another of new things from UFO Redux, although at this time it is pretty obsoltete. A new armour type that fills the gap between alloy vest and personal armour. My personal opinion would be that those kinds of armour are not needed. If they can't stop plasma pistol, like personal armour can, they not worth it. Sure you will build just few to increase the threshold of survivability, but still you will be focusing to get Personal Armour, specially when production time is much longer in UFO Redux.

openxcom%2525202015-12-18%25252019-48-42-12.jpg

In today's episode we learn that "prisons" are key installations that X-COM must guard from the aliens. Specially ones deep inside cold lands of Canada. And we also learn that SV XI needed to die, because 5 shots from Heavy Gauss Rifle that fires AP rounds at Overloard who is very vulnerable to AP rounds decided not to die and murder SV XI instead. This was his soul purpose. Kill SV XI then he could die in peace (or pieces you decide).

"Dear American Friends,

Do you know that organization you are funding, that keeps constantly harassing us, the moment we were spotted on your planet. Do you know they are hording so much of our precious elerium, that they can barely keep anything else in their stores? And how they sell you all that shiny plasma guns ridiculously overpriced? If you kindly stop funding them, we will gladly give them to you for free. After all we come in peace.

With Love,

The Aliens"

mpc-hc%2525202016-01-04%25252011-42-02-92.jpg

By the way, a scoring table needs to be expanded beyond Excellent ;)