Elite: Dangerous

Space Voyager

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

::

Watch as a team of three Commanders plunge into a daring on-foot raid of a military outpost. Their objective: to disable the power centre and ultimately render the opposing faction powerless!

All three Commanders in the incursion team are specially equipped for their assigned role, selected from the wide range of space suits, weapons and equipment available in Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

We are also excited to announce that the Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Alpha will be available for PC from 29 March!

Ha, that GIF does look like a timelapse... Yes, things CAN get pretty interesting in Elite, but it is so damn rare. Of late I find it really hard to gather the motivation to play Elite, which is probably a good thing - it used to be my getaway from reality when the latter was hard to bear. I hope Odyssey brings a lot of interesting stuff into the game, though from the things seen thus far, there isn't all that much of interest to do on your feet.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure there will always be people disliking any content a game might offer. In Elite, you can choose which content to really embrace and which to completely ignore. To the point that there are aliens trying to rip the bubble apart - and you can completely ignore the havoc and trade, mine and ferry people elsewhere as if nothing has happened.

Some love this design as it means they can do whatever they want but to me it just means that the galaxy feels far less alive, it all lacks action/reaction, consequences. But I digress...

I'm glad Elite still has new things to offer and I have no doubt I'll love some and hate others. But I'm not as demanding as the author of the article as far as faces go. A poly less or mediocre texture would never destroy the experience for me if the gameplay associated with it is good.

BTW, these faces are GORGEOUS compared to SLF pilots' faces. Those are 99% hideous, people were afraid the NPCs in Odyssey will have same level of uglyness, which has not happened. :D

• 2 weeks later...

::

The third stage of the Odyssey Alpha continues to expand the playable portion of the galaxy to 50 light years and moves focus towards the exploration of undiscovered planets and the Exobiology career path. Additionally, Commanders will finally experience the coveted "First Footfall" moments within the Alpha, when they set foot on a previously uncharted planet for the first time.

Now live.