Elite: Dangerous

Space Voyager

Agree with the article. IMO space legs will rarely be used except for the photo sessions. Sure getting out will be fun for a few times, then it will be a waste of time on the journey. I tried to get into alpha but the sheer numner of buttons to be mapped stopped me from doing it in-depth.

As far as shooter concept goes, there are far, FAR better shooters out there.

I was hoping for getting our NPC companions, thus far only picture and some voice, into the 3D world. So far nothing in this direction, though it could be one of the omitted features in alpha.

Anyway, I will try it all out without a doubt, though it might take a while as currently I'm almost at Beagle Point. I have no idea what will be given to players out there but perhaps we will be getting a basic suit to exit the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Just my opinion, but this is probably a marketing move to push more players into buying the expansion. Something that would be completely normal for most games but is undoubtedly going to create a whole lot of moaning from the players that didn't buy Odyssey. Especially the ones that got Horizons for free, too. :D

It is harder to support two different worlds (different rules for points of interest, missions etc. etc.) than a single one, so this must mean more work for FD. I'd do the same.

@SV: they're mega corporations, so I'm sure they'll know what to do with all your data. tongue.png

By now I suppose we should be worrying about more forward-looking subjects, such as "Do you think that's air you're breathing now?" - Morpheus, The Matrix motion picture

::

Meanwhile:

16c78982ffdf1158fc6422afd9aa3ff1e06f2539_400x225.png

Eurogamer's Matt Wales interviews the devs at Frontier Developments about Elite Dangerous: Odyssey's four-decade journey from idea to foot-stomping reality.

Right now the game is hardly playable - IF I manage to get in at all. Especially since I'm travelling from Beagle Point and the game loses connection every three jumps...

So far I have not been impressed in the least. Ok, it is nice to see ships in their ship:human scale. Anaconda is HUGE! You spend some time running past it. But that is about it. Planetary tech is hardly any better. The shooter part was never expected to be really good so I guess this part meets the expectations. :D IMO any addition to gameplay is good and surely I will be playing the on-foot part, too. I do hope it gets vastly upgraded though. The lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

701a88b3b079f8f557abfb1afe5b64d3a4e46c14_400x225.png48f0e740ec2a682fe2907939472b2a50979a869e_400x225.png

Learn all about Elite Dangerous: Odyssey's "Update 9" here. There's also word on Elite Dangerous: Horizons' own specific update here.

Also:

Vodel's new Scorpion SRV is built to tackle Odyssey's extensive new on-foot combat action, allowing players to take the fight to both ground and aerial threats with two pieces of weaponry as standard; take care of waves of infantry with the Surge Repeater's high-powered laser, or protect the skies with the Aculeus Launcher's tracking missiles.

Capable of speeds of over 50mph, the Scorpion has been designed as a twin-seat infantry support vehicle able to handle Odyssey's planetary conflicts, with a driver and a gunner operating autonomously to take down threats. Alternatively, a single occupant can drive and control weaponry at the same time, safe in the knowledge that the Scorpion's reinforced shielding and armour will stave off all but the heaviest fire.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

d6a35ed62b580551015f55f42b174fb0cce89777_400x225.png

Update 11 has arrived! Since Elite Dangerous' inception, Commanders yearned to stand and walk on planets throughout the Milky Way which Odyssey has delivered. Now it's time to sit down once again, put those feet up, and enjoy one of the most glorious views in the game from the inside: a Fleet Carrier jump.

Learn more here.